Classes to take while studying for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflower18

Master of Naps
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am planning out what classes I will be taking along with studying for the MCAT, and would love a bit of clarification. I plan to take the test in April or May of junior year, and then apply to schools in June. Thus, I will be studying for the MCAT during my second semester of junior year. I plan to take physics my junior year as well.

So my question is: what classes would best help me study? Is it better to take easier classes second semester so that I have more free time to study for the MCAT, or is it better to take classes like Physics, Biochem, and English to help prepare me / supplement my studying?

Any advice would be great! I will be a sophomore this year, so I have a bit of time before I need to schedule or decide, but I need to plan my schedule pretty tightly so I thought I would think ahead. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

So my question is: what classes would best help me study? Is it better to take easier classes second semester so that I have more free time to study for the MCAT, or is it better to take classes like Physics, Biochem, and English to help prepare me / supplement my studying?

Get Physics done beforehand if you can. Biochem for the semester you study, maybe. but make that your hardest class. Take a very light load. some people take stuff like "dance" that semester.

ideally you shouldn't take any classes and dedicate 3 months if u want a high score...otherwise, any course that has you reading/analyzing experiments, data and stuff like that will be great.

Get Physics done beforehand if you can. Biochem for the semester you study, maybe. but make that your hardest class. Take a very light load. some people take stuff like "dance" that semester.

Is it better to take physics while studying, or physics with ochem? I planned to take physics with ochem, but some people talked me out of it and said it was way too hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll correct that. It wasn't that it was too hard, just that it was important to get a good gpa. I'm pretty heavily involved with research and a job, and didn't want to give those up. I also didn't want to dedicate an entire summer to studying when I could be doing a research internship during that time instead. But I know how important the MCAT is....

Would Physics 2, easy English class, and easy dance class be manageable with studying?

I'm taking Physics 2, Biochemistry, and Anatomy. Well, I'm taking other classes as well, but they're gravy.

I also work 30 hours a week because I have to. This isn't the best scenario, but it's the only one possible for me.

I'm starting studying September 1st and going through all EK books and Kaplan online resources for a refresher, then moving to TBR to nail the details and big picture. Then AAMC Full Lengths.

I'm actually taking the 8/4 test, but my practice scores weren't what I needed them to be so I'm voiding. My content knowledge is probably a C+ at best right now, but it was lower than an F when I started. After 4 additional months of prep, I have every intention of making the January test my bitch.

Would Physics 2, easy English class, and easy dance class be manageable with studying?

In my opinion, it all depends on how well you manage your time and how badly you want it. I'll be taking 17 hours, working close to full time, and studying 15+ hours a week for the mcat. It will probably grow to 25+ hours per week the last month of the test.

I'm taking Physics 2, Biochemistry, and Anatomy. Well, I'm taking other classes as well, but they're gravy.

I also work 30 hours a week because I have to. This isn't the best scenario, but it's the only one possible for me.

I'm starting studying September 1st and going through all EK books and Kaplan online resources for a refresher, then moving to TBR to nail the details and big picture. Then AAMC Full Lengths.

I'm actually taking the 8/4 test, but my practice scores weren't what I needed them to be so I'm voiding. My content knowledge is probably a C+ at best right now, but it was lower than an F when I started. After 4 additional months of prep, I have every intention of making the January test my bitch.

You're taking that load right now, or next semester? Did you start studying before you took physics?

Good luck!

And as for your other post (I can't figure out how to multiquote on my phone) I am also worried about ECs. I'll be working 12 hours a week or so and doing research for about 5-8 hours a week in addition. I suppose that's not too much... Eh. I'll make it work I hope :)

You're taking that load right now, or next semester? Did you start studying before you took physics?

Good luck!

And as for your other post (I can't figure out how to multiquote on my phone) I am also worried about ECs. I'll be working 12 hours a week or so and doing research for about 5-8 hours a week in addition. I suppose that's not too much... Eh. I'll make it work I hope :)

I'll be taking that load in the Fall. I'm planning on taking the January 2013 test.

I've been prepping all summer for the mcat and feel comfortable with 85% of the material. I haven't taken physics 2, and that has seriously impeded my scores.

Let me tell you this; if I hadn't spent all summer getting reacquainted with the material my fall plans would be impossible. Instead of spending 4-5 hours working my way through a TBR chapter, it will probably take me closer to 2 to read the chapter, review what I've forgotten and complete some passages.

I'll be taking that load in the Fall. I'm planning on taking the January 2013 test.

I've been prepping all summer for the mcat and feel comfortable with 85% of the material. I haven't taken physics 2, and that has seriously impeded my scores.

Let me tell you this; if I hadn't spent all summer getting reacquainted with the material my fall plans would be impossible. Instead of spending 4-5 hours working my way through a TBR chapter, it will probably take me closer to 2 to read the chapter, review what I've forgotten and complete some passages.

That makes sense. I will probably do really intense studying over my winter break in junior year and then study during second semester. That is sort of similar to your plan.

Things like Physics, Orgo, Physiology should def be taken before MCAT prep (and obviously all the core classes like Bio, Chem...). Biochem is something you can take while studying imo. Genetics is also advised to take before prep, but I think some people with a strong molecular background can take it during prep.

Things like Physics, Orgo, Physiology should def be taken before MCAT prep (and obviously all the core classes like Bio, Chem...). Biochem is something you can take while studying imo. Genetics is also advised to take before prep, but I think some people with a strong molecular background can take it during prep.

I can't take physio without taking anatomy first at my school, so it's a bit tricky to finagle it. I will try though.

What about taking physics in the summer? Is that a viable option at all?