classes versus masters program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

razzmatazz87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, so after much debate/struggle and still sitting on a few waitlists I decided if I don't get in to take a full gap year to really amp up my application.

I was planning on taking some upper level science classes at my local university, like ImmunologyNeuroscience etc. My uGPA is ~3.6 and science ~3.4(ish). I really need to bump up the science GPA, thus the classes...

It is too late to apply for a MPH this year, but I was thinking of starting a program the year I am applying to medical schools (start August 2015, applied to schools EARLY June 2015) Would just being in a program help boost my application? Or should I wait to finish the MPH to apply?

Any advice would help!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similar situation and interested in any specific insights as well. The slight difference is I will apply to an MPH for entry this fall at Touro University to increase my chances of getting an interview for their DO program. The MPH program at that institution is offered via night time classes so that I could take upper division bio/chem courses at UCB extension and study to retake the MCAT in December. Thanks razmatazz87 for allowing me to "piggy-back" ride on your thread and best of luck to you.

Hi there, so after much debate/struggle and still sitting on a few waitlists I decided if I don't get in to take a full gap year to really amp up my application.

I was planning on taking some upper level science classes at my local university, like ImmunologyNeuroscience etc. My uGPA is ~3.6 and science ~3.4(ish). I really need to bump up the science GPA, thus the classes...

It is too late to apply for a MPH this year, but I was thinking of starting a program the year I am applying to medical schools (start August 2015, applied to schools EARLY June 2015) Would just being in a program help boost my application? Or should I wait to finish the MPH to apply?

Any advice would help!

Are you on wait lists for DO or MD schools? Whats your MCAT? If you are on "few" waitlists you may not have too much work to do. Make sure you reapply early. Have somebody critique your interview skills.

Regarding MPH - simply being in a program will not give you a boost. Fixing GPA will push you over hump. If you are waitlisted DO take advantage of grade replacement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a similar situation and interested in any specific insights as well. The slight difference is I will apply to an MPH for entry this fall at Touro University to increase my chances of getting an interview for their DO program. The MPH program at that institution is offered via night time classes so that I could take upper division bio/chem courses at UCB extension and study to retake the MCAT in December. Thanks razmatazz87 for allowing me to "piggy-back" ride on your thread and best of luck to you.

Sounds like too much on your plate buddy. Daytime classes+nighttime classes+MCAT prep? If you do not get good grades in your coursework it won't matter how many classes you take.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh yes...the MCAT...a very unbalanced 29 plus a slightly late app. Know that both are my biggest woes but if I reapply I want to do it right. Some people told me to take a SMP which I really would prefer not too...so expensive/risky

MD waitlists, btw. I didn't apply to DO school this cycle but plan to if I reapply (after I procure a DO to shadow/write a rec) as for grade replacement...no C's on the transcript, a lot of B's, a few A's so I don't really see the point of retaking a B for an A grade...

Sounds like too much on your plate buddy. Daytime classes+nighttime classes+MCAT prep? If you do not get good grades in your coursework it won't matter how many classes you take.
Thanks LongTimeLurk. You are right for that is my general tendency and it gets me into trouble. I have to contact the schools that rejected my app for feedback and know what course of action to take.

Oh yes...the MCAT...a very unbalanced 29 plus a slightly late app. Know that both are my biggest woes but if I reapply I want to do it right. Some people told me to take a SMP which I really would prefer not too...so expensive/risky

MD waitlists, btw. I didn't apply to DO school this cycle but plan to if I reapply (after I procure a DO to shadow/write a rec) as for grade replacement...no C's on the transcript, a lot of B's, a few A's so I don't really see the point of retaking a B for an A grade...

Agreed no need for retake if no Cs. Apply early you should be fine, especially for DO. I would say jump on shadowing now and reapply early (now) this year. Practice interviewing - if you got waitlisted several times over it may be something you are saying.

WHO is going around telling people with mid-3 gpas and sub 30 MCATs to take an smp? So many folks in your situation wind up on these boards saying that's their plan, it truly boggles the mind.

You are not an smp candidate. Take some classes if you have time/money to kill, but really your way forward is clear: study hard and retake mcat, reapply early and broadly, get your DO letter squared away while you're at it.

Well gonnif thanks for the advice, I am pretty capable of getting into an SMP.

I was a Health Science major and really like infectious diseases so actually an MPH would be a good idea. I feel like MPH is way more relevant for a health sci major than a sociology major in any case because I have taken basic epi, public health, research methods, etc