Classical Studies Minor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Biology

The Nerdiest Super Hero
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would minoring in Classical Studies along with my Biology major look distinct on an application?
I would be learing things such as:

1 Intro to Latin course
2 classes in intermediate/advanced Latin
1 class in special topics in ancient Latin
1 class in ancient history
1 in ancient philosophy
1 in mythology

Don't get me wrong, I think these classes would be incredibly interesting, but would Adcoms think so?

Members don't see this ad.

From my experiences as a humanities-sciences double major, it may be a brief conversation point at an interview, but I highly doubt it'd move you from reject to waitlist or waitlist to accept. The point I'm trying to make is that, for the work that you'll put into these classes, it's low-yield if you do it to impress an admissions committee. It's entirely worthwhile if you think it would be a fun way to spend a college career, and even more worthwhile if it can somehow give you a unique perspective on a future in medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be interesting and even helpful considering a good portion of anatomical names, scientific terminology, and biological names are rooted in latin. I wasn't expecting an automatic acceptance if I took latin lol I do think it would be uncommon at my Univ. as many premeds minor in sociology or something along those lines, even if its a passive "huh, this guy knows latin" thought at my application it would be an extra thought towards me

I think it would be interesting and even helpful considering a good portion of anatomical names, scientific terminology, and biological names are rooted in latin. I wasn't expecting an automatic acceptance if I took latin lol I do think it would be uncommon at my Univ. as many premeds minor in sociology or something along those lines, even if its a passive "huh, this guy knows latin" thought at my application it would be an extra thought towards me

Why do you ask questions if you are just going to disagree with people who give you answers you weren't looking for? What you major or minor in largely does not matter.

Knowing Latin IS cool, but so is knowing Spanish, knowing how to dance, knowing how to play music, etc. There isn't a metric that makes something more interesting than another. Just pick something you love. That will be the thing you can talk about most passionately, if they ever ask you about your coursework.

Reactions: 1 users
Would minoring in Classical Studies along with my Biology major look distinct on an application?
I would be learing things such as:

1 Intro to Latin course
2 classes in intermediate/advanced Latin
1 class in special topics in ancient Latin
1 class in ancient history
1 in ancient philosophy
1 in mythology

Don't get me wrong, I think these classes would be incredibly interesting, but would Adcoms think so?

You might like this article:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-to-fix-the-premed-curriculum-and-thus-premeds.452003/

Why do you ask questions if you are just going to disagree with people who give you answers you weren't looking for? What you major or minor in largely does not matter.

Knowing Latin IS cool, but so is knowing Spanish, knowing how to dance, knowing how to play music, etc. There isn't a metric that makes something more interesting than another. Just pick something you love. That will be the thing you can talk about most passionately, if they ever ask you about your coursework.
not arguing with anyone, just stating my opinion. and to say that Microbiology, biology, physics, or chemistry major is on equal ground with a sociology or English major in terms of curriculum difficulty would be wrong. while I agree that a sociology major could be just as good as a doctor as a science major, In reality which is more difficult, a class in Recombant DNA Analysis or Sociology in Sports (both upper division at my Univ.). Major does matter in relation to difficulty, and medical schools DO look at how difficult your classes were in Undergrad.

not arguing with anyone, just stating my opinion. and to say that Microbiology, biology, physics, or chemistry major is on equal ground with a sociology or English major in terms of curriculum difficulty would be wrong. while I agree that a sociology major could be just as good as a doctor as a science major, In reality which is more difficult, a class in Recombant DNA Analysis or Sociology in Sports (both upper division at my Univ.). Major does matter in relation to difficulty, and medical schools DO look at how difficult your classes were in Undergrad.

I'd actually argue that the person who majors in Sociology is more likely to be a better doctor (as long as they do well in the prereqs), since they are equipped with the knowledge to understand diverse patient populations. Yes, Sociology is less rigorous than a science major, but as it's been said many times, own the prereqs, own the MCAT, and no one will blink an eye.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Lol ok dude. Personally, a class like recombinant DNA analysis is incredibly boring and a waste of time, while Sociology of Sports is a fun, enriching class to take. But if you're hinting that biology major is difficult, you couldn't be more wrong. Stop downplaying the difficulty of social sciences and humanities courses if you never experienced them in the first place. These types of classes give you a useful perspective: all the medical related stuff can be postponed to med school.

I'd actually argue that the person who majors in Sociology would be a better doctor (as long as they do well in the prereqs), since they are equipped with the knowledge to understand diverse patient populations. Yes, Sociology is less rigorous than a science major, but as it's been said many times, own the prereqs, own the MCAT, and no one will blink an eye.
(I love a good healthy argument lol) but wouldn't you agree that medical schools care about what classes you take after the pre reqs and MCAT? why not major in art or philosophy if all it requires is the pre reqs? that way after the MCAT you can just take easy courses instead of pushing your intellect and growing more as a student. I whole heartedly believe that a class in Cell Biology is more beneficial to a future doctor than any Social Science class.

(I love a good healthy argument lol) but wouldn't you agree that medical schools care about what classes you take after the pre reqs and MCAT? why not major in art or philosophy if all it requires is the pre reqs? that way after the MCAT you can just take easy courses instead of pushing your intellect and growing more as a student. I whole heartedly believe that a class in Cell Biology is more beneficial to a future doctor than any Social Science class.
I was under the impression that philosophy was a relatively difficult major - albeit, an impractical one. Am I obscenely misled?

I wholeheartedly believe you are wrong. Everything you need to know (science related) to be a doctor you learn in med school.

@Rhino1000 I was going to say the same thing. He speaks of that which he does not know.

Reactions: 4 users

The reason why the vast majority of premeds major in something biology related is either:

1) They love biology.
2) The prereqs overlap with the major requirements.
3) They think it will look good.

If you look at the data, people who major in the humanities actually have a higher success rate when they apply to medical schools. Obviously there is self-selection in this, but it goes to show you that med schools really don't care what you major in.

I whole heartedly believe that a class in Cell Biology is more beneficial to a future doctor than any Social Science class.

Completely disagree.

A class in social science, especially one that teaches you about people, is WAY more beneficial to a future doctor. YOU'RE GOING TO LEARN ALL THE CELL BIOLOGY YOU NEED IN MED SCHOOL. As stated by so many of my friends who are now med students and residents, very little (probably none) of the science you learn outside of the prereqs in undergrad is actually necessary in med school, since you learn it anyways. However, I still see some people who are very ignorant about society and could benefit from taking a course in the social sciences before they become doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)

There's nothing to argue here. You're just speaking out of sheer naivete. If you actually use the search function, you'll find an overwhelming consensus that majoring in biology (and biology course work in general) has zero benefit in the future. Major in anything you want. Minor in anything you want. But having this misconceived notion that a biology course is more useful than a social science course is just plain ignorance.

And FYI, biology hardly pushes you to your intellect, although that is based on one's taste. Anyone can memorize and regurgitate facts. Very few can critically apply the facts into strong arguments - a key in social sciences/humanities (and even in the physical sciences).

Reactions: 2 users
Let me ask you all a question, would you agree that biological sciences apply to medicine?(also I am not saying that philosophy is not hard, just that it does not apply to medicine for the most part

Let me ask you all a question, would you agree that biological sciences apply to medicine?

Does it matter? What you learn in undergrad will be minuscule compared to what you learn in med school that any background you have in the biological sciences during undergrad won't make a difference by the time you graduate med school. It's like learning 10 points of bio knowledge in undergrad and 1000 points of knowledge in med school. The 10 points won't really make any difference.

Very few can critically apply the facts into strong arguments - a key in social sciences/humanities (and even in the physical sciences).

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Let me ask you all a question, would you agree that biological sciences apply to medicine?(also I am not saying that philosophy is not hard, just that it does not apply to medicine for the most part

Again, that is your viewpoint. Any subject can apply to medicine depending on how you use it. Sure you can view biology as useful and everything else useless, but again, that's your viewpoint. Other people have different perspectives.

Let me ask you all a question, would you agree that biological sciences apply to medicine?
I personally believe a biology degree could secure you a more indepth technical understanding of physiology compared to your peers. I think these other people are saying that obtaining this knowledge might not be as practical as you might think (not that it wouldn't reap any benefits), and that you should also consider the benefits of other degrees, especially in social fields.

Edit: In response to your initial question, it would seem that your minor in classical studies might be right for you if you 1) have a strong personal interest in it and 2) realize that the benefits you might receive from it would mainly be the social/communications aspect of it, rather than the admission counselors' specific admiration for it.

Does it matter? What you learn in undergrad will be minuscule compared to what you learn in med school that any background you have in the biological sciences during undergrad won't make a difference by the time you graduate med school. It's like learning 10 points of bio knowledge in undergrad and 1000 points of knowledge in med school. The 10 points won't really make any difference.
answer the question. also would you rather graduate with a 3.99 or a 4.0? with your logic you say that 1 little point does not matter yet it could still set you ahead of the curve

answer the question. also would you rather graduate with a 3.99 or a 4.0? with your logic you say that 1 little point does not matter yet it could still set you ahead of the curve

Then my answer is, like the social sciences, it does apply to the practice of medicine. The difference is that you learn the biology you need to in med school.

And no, the difference between a 3.99 and a 4.0 is exactly what it is. A 0.01 difference. Very few people (like you) will actually consider a 3.99 largely inferior to a 4.0.

I personally believe a biology degree could secure you a more indepth technical understanding of physiology compared to your peers. I think these other people are saying that obtaining this knowledge might not be as practical as you might think (not that it wouldn't reap any benefits), and that you should also consider the benefits of other degrees, especially in social fields.
My whole reasoning is that while you may learn "all the cell bio you need in med school" , maybe that cell bio course would benefit your understanding more than the social science coure you took. med school Is largely science based, I believe that it is logically sound to say that a higher level bio course that is related to the curriculum would be more beneficial to you than a social science course.

Then my answer is, like the social sciences, it does apply to the practice of medicine. The difference is that you learn the biology you need to in med school.

And no, the difference between a 3.99 and a 4.0 is exactly what it is. A 0.01 difference. Very few people (like you) will actually consider a 3.99 largely inferior to a 4.0.
you missed the point, that little bit of extra knowledge you learned in under grad, that .01 could be a huge difference.. a 89 B+ is 1 point away 90 A- which side would you rather be on?

My whole reasoning is that while you may learn "all the cell bio you need in med school" , maybe that cell bio course would benefit your understanding more than the social science coure you took. med school Is largely science based, I believe that it is logically sound to say that a higher level bio course that is related to the curriculum would be more beneficial to you than a social science course.

Because you're probably one of the said premeds who don't comprehend the benefits of understanding people to a practicing doctor.

The ONLY benefit majoring in a biology major for a future DOCTOR is that you are more comfortable with the biology in med school. When it comes to BEING a doctor, there is little benefit, since by that time, your doctor classmate who majored in Sociology will know exactly the same amount of clinically related biology that you know. The difference is that he is able to understand and sympathize with diverse patient populations and understand racial/socioeconomic trends in healthcare.

you missed the point, that little bit of extra knowledge you learned in under grad, that .01 could be a huge difference.. a 89 B+ is 1 point away 90 A- which side would you rather be on?

That little extra knowledge will make the first few weeks of studying slightly more bearable. After that, when your classmates who didn't major in biology have caught up, your bio major won't be of much help. Your comparison to a B+ and an A- is also the same. Years from now, you won't remember what you got in a certain class.

I'm not necessarily going to agree with you or disagree with you. I will say that I believe that - as far as I know - it wouldn't make much sense to assume that having more biological knowledge is not going to be useful. It also wouldn't make much sense that you wouldn't have any additional biological knowledge because the amount learned in medical school dwarfs all of undergraduate learning. It also wouldn't make sense that just because you learn most of all of the important stuff in biology during medical school that your undergraduate class will not teach you anything that could come in handy down the line. It also wouldn't make sense to assume that all of the stuff that is taught in medical school will actually be learned by the student - and therefore even learning stuff that you might cover in medical school could be useful.

I can also see the utility in having at least some knowledge about world literature and sociology (etc.).

Spotted the problem. First, it isn't logical, as it's just your opinion. If you believe it to be the case, be my guest. No one's forcing you. Just keep in mind that a lot of us don't believe that's the case, and adcoms don't care. There is no argument here.

[quote="Rhino1000, post: 14995816, member: 519452"I can also see the utility in having at least some knowledge about world literature and sociology (etc.).[/quote]
please by all means tell me how reading The Epic of Gilgamesh, Homer's Illiad, and Dante's Inferno will make me a better future physician lol

I just fail to see how social sciences applies to medicine in any meaningful ways. like I get that it helps you see the world through a minority's eyes, but any one with a brain knows that other people have feelings.

I just fail to see how social sciences applies to medicine in any meaningful ways. like I get that it helps you see the world through a minority's eyes, but any one with a brain knows that other people have feelings.

Because you never took those classes in the first place. Again, there really isn't any point in us telling you why social science/humanities is good. If you find it useless, don't waste your time taking them. It's a matter of personal taste.

[quote="Rhino1000, post: 14995816, member: 519452"I can also see the utility in having at least some knowledge about world literature and sociology (etc.).
please by all means tell me how reading The Epic of Gilgamesh, Homer's Illiad, and Dante's Inferno will make me a better future physician lol

Well, a lot of literature shows a person's viewpoint as he walks through life. Over a long period of time, being used to seeing these outside characters' viewpoints, could lead to a habit of predicting what kind of response these characters will have in various situations. So, it seems possible that being exposed to literature could increase your empathy/ability to relate to patients, etc.

Spotted the problem. First, it isn't logical, as it's just your opinion. If you believe it to be the case, be my guest. No one's forcing you. Just keep in mind that a lot of us don't believe that's the case, and adcoms don't care. There is no argument here.
so you mean to say that a class in parasitology or Immunology would not benefit you one bit in medical school? that it is the intellectual equivalent of a liberal arts class? that there is not one little bit of info that you hear in those classes that you may remember when you take similar classes in medical school?

Art history was a really, REALLY hard major at my school haha, mad respect for them.

Bio <<<<<<< math/physics/engineering

They really don't care that much about what you do after prereqs as long as grades are good and you do well in a couple bio upper levels.

Well, a lot of literature shows a person's viewpoint as he walks through life. Over a long period of time, being used to seeing these outside characters' viewpoints, could lead to a habit of predicting what kind of response these characters will have in various situations. So, it seems possible that being exposed to literature could increase your empathy/ability to relate to patients, etc.
it is possible but for my other question, how does social sciences have a greater value in undergrad over biology or chemistry or physics? I want to understand why sociology is even required for a degree. I mean it has its applications, but I just find them trivial and unimportant. like will understanding how labeling theory effects individuals make me perform better in my chosen profession?

Difficulty is relative you anal sphincter. Someone who is very scientifically minded will find that class easy as hell, but will probably get his ass handed to him in a basic level humanities/social sciences class which will ask him to read X amount of pages a week and to produce various essays, critical thinking exercises, response papers, and so on. So the fact that you, "Not Anywhere Near Being A Dr." Biology think one is "hard" and the other isn't is obnoxious. And only makes you look even more dumb and uninformed (I believe the proper reading of that would be: ignorant).

And another thing about your statement of "philosophy" not applying to medicine (but biological sciences do). LOL. Medicine IS PHILOSOPHY and the fact that you don't know that means you've got a lot of learning to do still. Think allopathy (the forum you're in) vs. homeopathy --> different philosophies, same goal (healing). Think Western Medicine vs. Eastern Medicine, need I continue you greener than grass idiot premed??

it is possible but for my other question, how does social sciences have a greater value in undergrad over biology or chemistry or physics? I want to understand why sociology is even required for a degree. I mean it has its applications, but I just find them trivial and unimportant. like will understanding how labeling theory effects individuals make me perform better in my chosen profession?

That's because you've most likely never taken Sociology, so you're still pretty ignorant. Don't worry, I was too.

Do you seriously understand power dynamics in society? About privilege? I see so many people on SDN say "I'm White but I go through struggles too, so Affirmative Action is absolutely wrong." There is A LOT about the struggles of minorities in our society that you cannot simply "use common sense" to understand. There's a reason why medical schools value diversity in a medical school class that a lot of people, especially on SDN, don't understand. I really don't want to go into the details. Learning about upper division biology or chemistry will not benefit you more than classes like sociology and psychology if you want to be a good clinician.

Honestly, as long as you do not have experience taking social science classes, you cannot debate this further. You simply lack the background. I'm a science major with a good background in the social sciences, so I'm well informed on both sides. You, as a person who has never taken any real relevant social science classes, will have a more difficult time seeing their usefulness in the practice of medicine.

The extent of tangible applications is not the sole criterion to measure the value of a given subject. If this is the case, you can study engineering or applied sciences, rather than biology, chemistry, or (theoretical) physics. Social sciences offer you another pair of eyes to perceive things differently. They teach you things that are often counterintuitive to our common sense.

Let me give you some examples, and I think TED Talks will shed a light on this.

How do people perceive choices differently? If you have a Japanese patient and an American patient, would you treat them identically?

Why do people make bad decisions every now and then? When do we overestimate or underestimate things?

If I were you, I would make an appointment with my sociology professor and ask why I should study sociology. That will give you more satisfactory answers, and I am certain he or she will be more than happy to meet with you.

Difficulty is relative you anal sphincter. Someone who is very scientifically minded will find that class easy as hell, but will probably get his ass handed to him in a basic level humanities/social sciences class which will ask him to read X amount of pages a week and to produce various essays, critical thinking exercises, response papers, and so on. So the fact that you, "Not Anywhere Near Being A Dr." Biology think one is "hard" and the other isn't is obnoxious. And only makes you look even more dumb and uninformed (I believe the proper reading of that would be: ignorant).

And another thing about your statement of "philosophy" not applying to medicine (but biological sciences do). LOL. Medicine IS PHILOSOPHY and the fact that you don't know that means you've got a lot of learning to do still. Think allopathy (the forum you're in) vs. homeopathy --> different philosophies, same goal (healing). Think Western Medicine vs. Eastern Medicine, need I continue you greener than grass idiot premed??
Please do continue. its a freaking username,it has as much practicality as being named drumstix. I have taken the entry level courses and made A's In them, yet I still find the concept of sociology as trivial and meaningless as the class Dance as a Human Experience. the fact that it is considered a "science" is baffling to me.

Please do continue. its a freaking username,it has as much practicality as being named drumstix. I have taken the entry level courses and made A's In them, yet I still find the concept of sociology as trivial and meaningless as the class Dance as a Human Experience. the fact that it is considered a "science" is baffling to me.

If sociology was not that important and does not apply to medicine then why will MCAT 2015 contain a sociology portion?

Honestly, unless you start sitting on admission committees, no one here is going to care what classes you deem trivial and meaningless.

No. What we find distinctive is you doing well in whatever you major/minor in and that you enjoy them.

Don't get me wrong, I think these classes would be incredibly interesting, but would Adcoms think so?[/quote]

so you mean to say that a class in parasitology or Immunology would not benefit you one bit in medical school? that it is the intellectual equivalent of a liberal arts class? that there is not one little bit of info that you hear in those classes that you may remember when you take similar classes in medical school?

No they don't. You're speaking out of ignorance and being stubborn about it. Frankly, you should consider the following post:

Honestly, unless you start sitting on admission committees, no one here is going to care what classes you deem trivial and meaningless.

OP, we're not changing your interests. All we're saying is the practical uses of other "non-biology" classes. If you find them boring and useless, fine enjoy biology. I think it's fair from that standpoint, so there really isn't anything to argue.

This is similar to that thread where the guy was going on about how non-hard science majors shouldn't be going to medical school. Until you have had the occasion to apply a level of knowledge and understanding derived from any course you have taken you have no bearing on which to gauge its usefulness to a particular profession. Saying a sociology course isn't as helpful as a bio course, just because most med school curricula are science based, is neglectful of the finer points of human-human interaction prevalent throughout the profession.

This is similar to that thread where the guy was going on about how non-hard science majors shouldn't be going to medical school. Until you have had the occasion to apply a level of knowledge and understanding derived from any course you have taken you have no bearing on which to gauge its usefulness to a particular profession. Saying a sociology course isn't as helpful as a bio course, just because most med school curricula are science based, is neglectful of the finer points of human-human interaction prevalent throughout the profession.

I've come to the conclusion that there's no point in reasoning with OP. If he/she wants to think that reading a graduate-level science textbook at a slightly faster speed is more useful to a doctor than being a well informed, compassionate person, then let him/her.

Yes.