Classmates related to faculty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manic324

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So at my school I’ve been finding out more and more of my classmates are related to faculty... some even close family members with course directors of our major classes.

Is this common or is my class just very weird? I feel like it’s highly unethical.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see it as unethical unless their applications were extremely low quality, and even if they were, there wouldn't be any way to find out. In fact, I'd bet that anyone with family in the dental school is under even more scrutiny to act professional and excel academically.

I don't see it as unethical unless their applications were extremely low quality, and even if they were, there wouldn't be any way to find out. In fact, I'd bet that anyone with family in the dental school is under even more scrutiny to act professional and excel academically.
I don't think their applications to attend the school were any weaker than the rest of us, I am talking more so about now during school.

What I mean is, having your mother be the person who writes the majority of exams that decide our class rank and future seems highly problematic to me. I just don't understand how this is allowed and am wondering if this is a huge anomaly or if anyone has seen this at other schools.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
They got an unfair advantage. Ignore it. They also get a significant tuition discount

Its life. People are going to have unfair advantages. Im more jelly of kids who have dentist parents who can teach them the art of owning a practise. Im sure Ill fail many times before succeeding there. Also those that were born rich and come out with no debt, those obviously related to faculty...etc. There are some taboos stories that have come out over the years of profs sleeping with students, guess who did not fail those profs classes?

Life ain't fair but just be glad you are where you are and know many people would kill to be in your shoes and move on. Just my opnion though.

Reactions: 2 users
This is not a field like business, politics or the arts where nepotism is standard. You are in most part objectively assessed. You should focus on yourself and not worry about who and how each person gets an advantage over you. Will dropping 1 rank because the other person got an unfair advantage ruin your entire career aspirations? I was the first one in my family to go into a career in healthcare, and felt disadvanged at times to people in my class who had parents that were dentists, and parents who were faculty, but I just worked hard to overcome these small bumps in the road.

Work hard so you can pave the road for your kids.

Reactions: 4 users
This is not a field like business, politics or the arts where nepotism is standard.

There definitely is nepotism in dentistry. It is common and it's good to see it for what it is.

Like PhansterZ said, though, this doesn't keep you from excelling so just buckle down and do well regardless of the circumstances.

The children of full time faculty routinely attend the home school. Their tuition is generally free. Any questions?