Cleveland Is Paradise On Earth!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lundon22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from the greater cleveland area, and i have an interview on September 8 at CASE, and all i have to say is that all of you that have an interview at CASE, why would you not go there? Come on, Cleveland has the rocking roll hall of fame, Canton has the football hall of fame, we have freaking LeBron James (need i say more), the indians, and every other professional sport, we have the world's highest and fastest roller coaster 90 minutes from Cleveland. now granted, downtown c-town is a little dangerous! i wouldn't consider walking in a dark alley after 6:00 p.m!! that's for sure!! plus, don't buy any rolex's from any black guys on the streets of c-town, trust me they are never real, and if they are, they are always HOT!
19/20/18 (AA/TS/PAT) (24 in Ochem) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Out of all the cities in the US, Cleveland probably ranks between 128-133. Thats being generous.

Rezdawg said:
Out of all the cities in the US, Cleveland probably ranks between 128-133. Thats being generous.

ha, ha, that's funny!

Members don't see this ad :)
lundon22 said:
I'm from the greater cleveland area, and i have an interview on September 8 at CASE, and all i have to say is that all of you that have an interview at CASE, why would you not go there? Come on, Cleveland has the rocking roll hall of fame, Canton has the football hall of fame, we have freaking LeBron James (need i say more), the indians, and every other professional sport, we have the world's highest and fastest roller coaster 90 minutes from Cleveland. now granted, downtown c-town is a little dangerous! i wouldn't consider walking in a dark alley after 6:00 p.m!! that's for sure!! plus, don't buy any rolex's from any black guys on the streets of c-town, trust me they are never real, and if they are, they are always HOT!
I can't tell you the number of times I've broken into tears wishing I could trade my safety for the opportunity to say I live near Cedar Point, overlooking a lake with greater mutagenicity than the entire actinide series.

lundon22 said:

The only reason I would live in Cleveland is if my family lived there or if I went to Case! No other reason would I want to live in a city that is the "poorest big city" in the nation, high unemployment rate, high pollution, high crime, crappy roads (Carnegie Ave), lack of diversity, man I could go on. I've been here for two years and I am ready to move on! Nothing against all you Clevelanders, I'm sure you love it in Cleveland just like I love Seattle. :D However, if I get into Case, I'll have to strongly consider staying for another 4 years! :eek: :eek:

Ah, Cleveland. Case was my first interview and I remember gleefully stepping over the needles and spent condoms lining Euclid Avenue en route to my interview after being awoken at 5 am when the 'daughter of pleasure' decided to pull a gun on her ill-behaved 'John'. The sounds of "Baby, don't shoot!" and "Keep your hands on the table and give me the money, you f*@%!" coming through the paper-thin walls of the motel couldn't have been a better way for me to become acquainted with the charms of Cleveland. Fond memories indeed.

Sprgrover said:
Ah, Cleveland. Case was my first interview and I remember gleefully stepping over the needles and spent condoms lining Euclid Avenue en route to my interview after being awoken at 5 am when the 'daughter of pleasure' decided to pull a gun on her ill-behaved 'John'. The sounds of "Baby, don't shoot!" and "Keep your hands on the table and give me the money, you f*@%!" coming through the paper-thin walls of the motel couldn't have been a better way for me to become acquainted with the charms of Cleveland. Fond memories indeed.

Wow. Remind me not to stay at that hotel. Good story to share with your mom. Is Philly really that much better though? I walked from the Temple main campus up to the medical campus on Broad Street last year and it seemed pretty rough. But I guess after Cleveland's needles, used condoms and aggressive hookers and johns anything is better.

Sprgrover said:

Pretty accurate indeed... lol Try going down Carnegie Ave next time you're in town! You'll love it!

Sprgrover said:

your reply was by far the best and should be framed somewhere. it was hillarious! stepping over the needles and the used condoms, it brings back great memories of my childhood! haha, you should really get some kind of award for that reply!

this is the best part about cleveland. They have "2 lanes" to drive on... but cars can park in the right lane so you are constantly fearing for your life because after cruising along at 50 mph you have to cut over into traffic. The roads suck... nothing has been done in years. There are more abandoned warehouses than you can imagine. Superior road should be called inferior due to the homeless or "near homeless." I would only go to cleveland to attend case... and see an indians game. Downtown is dead except for a few buildings. Lets just say it is not the greatest place in the world. But there are a few things that you can enjoy. The funniest thing was the fire chief has a house in the ghetto but it is a huge mansion. It about sums up cleveland.

Are you sure you guys talking about Cleveland ? and not East Cleveland ? :) :) :)

HuyetKiem said:
Are you sure you guys talking about Cleveland ? and not East Cleveland ? :) :) :)

true. there are parts of cleveland that are nice... also, the outskirts are just like any other residential I have seen in the U.S.

Wow.....all this talk is kinda scary. I'm from LA so I'm not used to such vigilante places.....I hope the social life in Case dental school isn't that moot/boring/freaky, etc etc...But if I get into Case, I'll gladly go! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
polarnut said:
Wow.....all this talk is kinda scary. I'm from LA so I'm not used to such vigilante places.....I hope the social life in Case dental school isn't that moot/boring/freaky, etc etc...But if I get into Case, I'll gladly go! :)

Case is really cool. I loved the school when I interviewed. So I would have no worries about going to case. You can find nice places to live and just stay away from the ugly areas.

When I interviewed at Case, it was a pretty good school. If Case were in another city, it would be a top choice. HOWEVER, I decided then and there that I would never move my family to that city. EVER! It was the dirtiest, grimiest, most run-down POS I have ever been to. A sad fact is that I would choose some of the ratty border towns in Mexico over Cleveland. Even some of the suburbs were pretty bad. They should raze it and start over. I have no doubt that some places in Ohio are nice, and that some parts of Cleveland may be nice, but the people who live there should be embarrassed that it looks like that.

Oh yeah....and the Browns suck too!

jdcinza13 said:
When I interviewed at Case, it was a pretty good school. If Case were in another city, it would be a top choice. HOWEVER, I decided then and there that I would never move my family to that city. EVER! It was the dirtiest, grimiest, most run-down POS I have ever been to. A sad fact is that I would choose some of the ratty border towns in Mexico over Cleveland. Even some of the suburbs were pretty bad. They should raze it and start over. I have no doubt that some places in Ohio are nice, and that some parts of Cleveland may be nice, but the people who live there should be embarrassed that it looks like that.

No way. You are way too harsh. It might be bad but not "border-town" bad.

we can settle on the median of border towns. Seriously, Cleveland was horrible when I was there, and I readily admit that some parts may be nice, but overall, the nice parts get dragged down with all the other crap that is wrong with Cleveland....

Gulch said:
Wow. Remind me not to stay at that hotel. Good story to share with your mom. Is Philly really that much better though? I walked from the Temple main campus up to the medical campus on Broad Street last year and it seemed pretty rough. But I guess after Cleveland's needles, used condoms and aggressive hookers and johns anything is better.

Like any city there are rough spots and unfortunately Temple happens to be in a place where breakfast is served with a lighter and a teaspoon and babies fall asleep to the rythmic sounds of gunfire. The area around Penn, which is in west Philadelphia, is called University City and is becoming very gentrified and revitalized with business and has its own fulltime police force, a small army of security personnel, and public cameras everywhere which creates the lowest crime rate in the Philadelphia metro area. When I moved up here this summer I didn't realize how nice Penn's campus and some of the surrounding neighborhoods are. Alas, Philly pales in comparison to the exotic charms of some of it's northern neighbors.

so so true, ive been here for a lil over a month now, and have gotten use to the city. as long as you live close to school (within walking distance such as in the lil italy area, youre real safe) most of the time youll be too busy to explore the city anyhow. but its true, the roads are really messed up here. the one thing i have found to be cool about cleveland is west sixth. bars with no covercharge and alcohol is pretty cheap in the midwest =) no dress codes no nada.

Generallee said:
ThNo other reason would I want to live in a city that is the "poorest big city" in the nation, :

Not anymore
Cleveland Drops On Poverty List
City Ranked No. 1 Last Year

POSTED: 11:52 am EDT August 30, 2005

CLEVELAND -- Cleveland ranked as the largest American city with the highest poverty rate last year.

NewsChannel5 reported this year, the city dropped to 12th place in poverty. This is tied with New Orleans.

The U.S. Census Bureau released a complete report today detailing the information.

Detroit took over the top poverty spot with 33.6 percent of its people in poverty, according to the American Community Survey based on Census data.

The report said the percentage of Cleveland's 478,000 people living in poverty fell from 31.3 percent in last year's report to 23.2 percent. The reasons for the sharp decline were not immediately revealed.

For a year, Cleveland had been coping with the tag as the nation's most impoverished city among cities with populations of 250,000 or more. Politicians and community leaders have spent the last 12 months trying to find solutions to a problem that has attracted national attention and trying to repair an already fragile image.

Detroit topped El Paso, Texas; Miami; Newark, N.J.; Atlanta and Long Beach, Calif.

Other Ohio cities on the newest list of the nation's 70 poorest cities were Cincinnati at No. 22 with 19.6 percent of its people in poverty and Columbus at 39th with a 16.7 percent rate.

Last year, Cincinnati was 15th, Toledo 20th and Columbus 34th. Toledo dropped off the list this year.

Sprgrover said:
Like any city there are rough spots and unfortunately Temple happens to be in a place where breakfast is served with a lighter and a teaspoon and babies fall asleep to the rythmic sounds of gunfire. The area around Penn, which is in west Philadelphia, is called University City and is becoming very gentrified and revitalized with business and has its own fulltime police force, a small army of security personnel, and public cameras everywhere which creates the lowest crime rate in the Philadelphia metro area. When I moved up here this summer I didn't realize how nice Penn's campus and some of the surrounding neighborhoods are. Alas, Philly pales in comparison to the exotic charms of some of it's northern neighbors.

I find it funny that this guy badmouths Temple's campus when he goes to a school in West Philadelphia. Geez dude, if I can admit that Temple's campus is ghetto, you should be able to do the same about your area. Sure Penn's actual campus is beautiful, but outside the actual campus, the bulletproof vests come out. Just admit it.

Dr.BadVibes said:
I find it funny that this guy badmouths Temple's campus when he goes to a school in West Philadelphia. Geez dude, if I can admit that Temple's campus is ghetto, you should be able to do the same about your area. Sure Penn's actual campus is beautiful, but outside the actual campus, the bulletproof vests come out. Just admit it.

Exactly....my friend got jumped 2 blocks away from the Penn campus and someone tried to sell me snow by Temple. Concerning Cleveland: If you're trying to convince people that Cleveland is the place to be by selling them on a couple of sports franchises and the rock n roll hall fame you've got to be kidding. Have you ever heard the saying "there's NY and California, everything else is Cleveland"? Maybe ignorance is bliss.

archer123 said:
Concerning Cleveland: If you're trying to convince people that Cleveland is the place to be by selling them on a couple of sports franchises and the rock n roll hall fame you've got to be kidding. Have you ever heard the saying "there's NY and California, everything else is Cleveland"? Maybe ignorance is bliss.

ANything considered midwest is a blackhole of boredom(except Chicago). At least when you reach Boulder you have some scenery.

Dr.BadVibes said:

I'd take the area around Penn anyday over Temple. Sleep tight!

2004 2003 2002 Metro area 2004 thefts Rate
88 104 85 Cleveland-Lorain-Elyria, OH 10,085 448.05

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Insurance/Insureyourcar/P127134.asp

In a new study of 2004 crimes, Modesto, Calif., keeps its crown as the auto-theft capital of the country.

In fact, California cities claimed seven of the 10 worst spots in the ranking of 336 metro areas by the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB). Of the worst 20 cities for theft, 11 are in California. Las Vegas, Phoenix and Seattle elbowed their way into the worst 10 as well.

Los Angeles alone reported 73,000 car thefts.

The NICB didn’t rank on the basis of raw numbers, though. The nonprofit insurance association instead took data supplied by the National Crime Information Center and Census figures to calculate a theft rate per 100,000 population. By that measure, for example, Myrtle Beach, S.C., cracked the worst 20 even with just 1,500 thefts. With a metro area population of 196,000, its theft rate of 769 per 100,000 population is worse than Los Angeles’.Get Online Insurance Quotes
• Auto • Health
• Home • Life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MSN Money Insurance

Theft rates rose most dramatically in yet another California city, Santa Barbara. Thefts rose more than 50% from 2002 to 2004, and its ranking of 254 in 2002 sank to 163 for 2004. Anniston, Ala., Ventura, Calif., Columbus, Ga., and Colorado Springs, Colo., also slipped more than 60 places as their theft rates worsened.

City Crime Rankings:
http://www.morganquitno.com/cit05pop.htm

Sprgrover said:
I'd take the area around Penn anyday over Temple. Sleep tight!

and I'd take the area around Temple over the area around Howard....so whats your point?

Dr.BadVibes said:
and I'd take the area around Temple over the area around Howard....so whats your point?

Just admit it BadVibes, after meeting us Pennites at Dave and Buster's it just pisses you off that we are not as evil as you wished we were!

Its funny but i'm barely into my 4th week and i understand why Dentists say go with the cheapest school. Clinical advantages are slim if there are any and prestige counts for nill.