Clinical experience -- looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myfunnyusername

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a nontraditional international student currently working a regular tech job. I am planning on attending post-bacc program in 2025. Before that, I would like to get some clinical experience, however it is a bit difficult because I am an international student and tied to my visa. So, I am starting to volunteer in a hospital, and a hospice but I also would like to do something else additionally. From the paid clinical experiences that could be done through volunteering, I was able to find EMT volunteer organizations and CNA volunteer positions. I do feel like being an EMT would be incredibly cool but I am worried that if I start a course now, get certified only in June, let's say start working in August, then I am going to volunteer for less than a year only because I will probably move somewhere else for post bacc... is it worth it, will they even take me?

I found a volunteer CNA position, so I wonder if that would be a smarter choice, and perhaps better suit my personality (I am not the best when it comes to thinking on my feet but I love to care for others). Any suggestions or other options are very welcome, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say if you really want the requisite training and emergency experience as an EMT then I would say go for that route. If your concern is really just getting clinical experience and you want to increase the amount you get, I'd stick with doing tech/CNA work (assuming you already have the cert/license). While emergency work can indeed be quite cool, know you will have your chance to experience it in med school so if that is your end goal then focus on maximizing your chances. I find if you are trying to find work/volunteering during a gap period, you may not want to necessarily lead with the fact you are planning to leave in a short period of time. If they ask about your plans up front or tell you that short-term hires will harm their operations, don't lie to them. Otherwise keep that to yourself and get as many hours as you can in the mean time.

Reactions: 1 user