clinical & family social worker?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Erica1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting an MSW in mental health. Would I be able to apply for jobs requesting family social workers, too, or will I only be eligible for clinical social worker jobs?

Members don't see this ad.

You should be able to apply for both. The Clinical/Mental Health specialty is one of the broader, less-limiting tracks, especially compared to things like Nonprofit Management, because we deal first-hand with mental illness in every context.

I know a person whose MSW is Mental Health concentrated but he works as an administrator at a girl's home. He never needed his clinical license because he found that job (and loves it) immediately after graduating.

In my area, "family support worker" is a BA/BS/BSW level job and it is likely different than the family social worker job that you describe. It might be an intermediary step for you before you tackle the MSW and would give you some experience and insight into what and how you want to use your time in grad school.