Clinical Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abspt

Reaction score
I am in PT school now and we are about to begin selecting our third year clinical internship locations. I must have an acute care, neuro/peds, and an elective. I know what I want for my elective (sports/ortho), but I am unsure what I should look for in the acute care and neuro clinicals. My school has contracts with some locations but we can try to set up our own contracts as well. Any feedback for this?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in PT school now and we are about to begin selecting our third year clinical internship locations. I must have an acute care, neuro/peds, and an elective. I know what I want for my elective (sports/ortho), but I am unsure what I should look for in the acute care and neuro clinicals. My school has contracts with some locations but we can try to set up our own contracts as well. Any feedback for this?
Beyond things like affordable housing/proximity to where you already live, not really? If neither is something you want to go into for work, it'll just be rotations you're basically checking off.
You can ask the class above you if they have any feedback regarding the existing contracts (eg this was a nightmare/this was amazing).
For neuro you can see if they are IP or OP, IP might be more interesting/unique since it'll be lower-level patients. Or if that sounds really intimidating/not interesting, you can look for neuro OP.
If possible, it wouldn't hurt to choose rotations near where you want to live after graduation. You never know what you unexpectedly fall in love with, or may want to pick up a per diem at.