This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcmak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Up until recently, I assumed only basic science PhD's were eligible to apply and do ABMGG Clinical Molecular Genetics fellowships. However, I've recently stumbled upon a small handful of ABMGG-certified individuals who did their PhD's in Genetic or Molecular Epidemiology, then did a ABMGG-approved post-doc in Clinical Molecular Genetics. To my understanding, you do these post-docs to be able to work in a clinical, diagnostic lab, right?
I've checked the ABMG website and see that in order to be eligible to do the fellowship, you need a PhD in "Genetics or related field" which I've always assumed was biology, biochem, chem, etc.

Is a PhD in genetic and/or molecular epidemiology a viable route to being ABMG certified and being able to work in a genetic diagnostic lab?
Genetic/molecular epidemiology is definitely the path that I would want to take as I truly love public health and epidemiology, but being ABMG certified would really just be the icing on top of the cake and would allow me to have much wider range of research capabilities and marketability. Plus, doing any form of clinical work would be a great source of salary supplementation.

Members don't see this ad.

Not all genetic or moelcular epi receive the same training. Some may received bench training and others may only receive informatics training. My guess is that this fellowship is only for those who have extensive bench research training.

Reactions: 1 user
Not all genetic or moelcular epi receive the same training. Some may received bench training and others may only receive informatics training. My guess is that this fellowship is only for those who have extensive bench research training.
Oh that is very true. I guess it's based off how bench heavy your curriculum was