MSW Clinical MSW Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nealox

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to be a therapist, and I am drawn to the social work perspective (in particular, strengths vs pathology). So I'm looking for clinically-focused MSW programs. I often hear Smith and NYU... Where else do y'all recommend?

Many programs seem to have options for a clinical focus (135 according to the CSWE directory), but it seems some offer a much better focus than others. There are too many for me to look through each program website myself (and I can't always tell when I look).

Location: I think a general list (US, Canada, and beyond?) would be helpful for others with the same question. For me, Northern California would be great, especially in-state tuition, but I'm open to other places. I have enough savings that I probably wouldn't come out of school with *too* much debt regardless (typing that brings up a lot of gratitude).

Prior work: I've learned a lot from browsing the forum! Thank you! I found this thread from eight years ago, but the replies were mostly more questions (and mostly east of the Mississippi). Here are all the schools from that thread. I'll put an asterisks by the schools that were suggested by someone who seemed confident, or that I've heard consistently elsewhere. I'll do my best to update this list as people reply, if this forum lets me!

* Howard University
* NYU
* Smith
* The Catholic University of America
* University of Maryland, Baltimore
* University of Pennsylvania
* University of Pittsburg
* Virginia Commonwealth University
* Walla Walla University
Boston College
Boston Univ
Columbia
Fordham
Hunter (CUNY Hunter)
Portland State
Simmons College
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Georgia (UGA)
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Wisconsin-Madison
USC
Washington Univ - St Louis

Also, a professor at Loma Linda University told me that they have a strong clinical program.

Also, I hope you are having a wonderful present moment!

Members don't see this ad.

I want to be a therapist, and I am drawn to the social work perspective (in particular, strengths vs pathology). So I'm looking for clinically-focused MSW programs. I often hear Smith and NYU... Where else do y'all recommend?

Many programs seem to have options for a clinical focus (135 according to the CSWE directory), but it seems some offer a much better focus than others. There are too many for me to look through each program website myself (and I can't always tell when I look).

Location: I think a general list (US, Canada, and beyond?) would be helpful for others with the same question. For me, Northern California would be great, especially in-state tuition, but I'm open to other places. I have enough savings that I probably wouldn't come out of school with *too* much debt regardless (typing that brings up a lot of gratitude).

Prior work: I've learned a lot from browsing the forum! Thank you! I found this thread from eight years ago, but the replies were mostly more questions (and mostly east of the Mississippi). Here are all the schools from that thread. I'll put an asterisks by the schools that were suggested by someone who seemed confident, or that I've heard consistently elsewhere. I'll do my best to update this list as people reply, if this forum lets me!

* Howard University
* NYU
* Smith
* The Catholic University of America
* University of Maryland, Baltimore
* University of Pennsylvania
* University of Pittsburg
* Virginia Commonwealth University
* Walla Walla University
Boston College
Boston Univ
Columbia
Fordham
Hunter (CUNY Hunter)
Portland State
Simmons College
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Georgia (UGA)
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Wisconsin-Madison
USC
Washington Univ - St Louis

Also, a professor at Loma Linda University told me that they have a strong clinical program.

Also, I hope you are having a wonderful present moment!

Wash U in Stl is good-tough admissions but worth it