Clinical PhD at Rowan University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and I'll keep calling out rudeness and maybe we'll be able to coexist here that way.

Keep on keepin on you social justice warrior...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well this escalated quickly.

This is worth saying again...

Take what you like, leave the rest. Resist the urge to analyze people based on their comments in an anonymous online forum. That's for amateurs.

and also, might I add, maybe try and resist the urge to infer professional capabilities from the same anonymous comments.

Keep on keepin on you social justice warrior...

Not sure I saw any evidence of social justice on either side of this back and forth. I think we may have different definitions of social justice.

Reactions: 1 user
Damn, I was going to call AE. Actually had lunch with the guys a few times before he died.

That would have been cool. I had a couple cocktails w. Dr. Woodcock during an anatomy & physiology training a number of yrs ago, he was still quite sharp and more engaging than I expected.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this....and I really think I should be CheetahKohut. Heinz Kohut was the man.

Unfortunately, I don't have any women theorists I truly want to change my name to and endorse. And I'm always thankful for feeling like a "good enough mother," so I'll leave it with Winnicott. But if anyone cares to know: Kohut is really the one who butters my bread (i.e., I can really work & make $$ from his conceptual framework).

This has become a very strange thread that has absolutely nothing to do with Rowan University.

Last edited:
That would have been cool. I had a couple cocktails w. Dr. Woodcock during an anatomy & physiology training a number of yrs ago, he was still quite sharp and more engaging than I expected.

Is this post full of sexual innuendos or do I need a breather from this thread?

Is this post full of sexual innuendos or do I need a breather from this thread?

Nope, nothing here. erg923 and empathiosis had a duel (based on erg923's crass style, that none of us condone, but we allow b/c he drops truth bombs & the voice of dissenting opinion) and PsychScience concluded that there was no evidence of social justice on either side of that duel. I was intertwined, stealing your name again, by trying to keep the peace (when I really should be working).

And then we all started naming theorists that we identify with, but other than that Dr. Woodcock has really only to do with the good doctor. No sexual innuendos here...

You can play, too. Who would you be if you could identify with a theorist...living or deceased?

Oh, and this thread has nothing to do with Rowan University now (which is a new program that is not yet APA-accredited).

Gosh, I need to use my skills elsewhere rather than synopses of SDN threads. :bored:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Maybe given my read on this statement I should reappropriate Freud:
"I had a couple cocktails w. Dr. Woodcock during an anatomy & physiology training a number of yrs ago, he was still quite sharp and more engaging than I expected."

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. I found seven but before sending them to her I wanted to see if anyone else knew of any I missed. Besides, she has already told me to call people and ask or whatever means I need to... so the rudeness is not needed k thx
Was it really a rude comment or did you just interpret it that way? One might argue that your response was an overreaction. All you had to say was that you disagreed with his perspective. Heck, even if you hadn't done any other work, you can still ask the question and people will either answer or not. It is against the rules to ask for help with homework or provide clinical help, but your question was fine so you really didn't have to defend it.

I, for one, find the whole erg is insensitive threads to be sort of amusing. I remember one that commented on his avatar smoking that I found particularly funny. A simple google search would tell you that is the original drummer for the Who, one of the greatest rock bands of all time. That scores erg some major points in my book!

Oh Goodness. And I was going to say something about how I have never viewed the Woodcock-Johnson as being inappropriate until this very moment. Cheers.

I'll admit it. In my assessment course as a first-year graduate student several of us snickered the first time our instructor said "Woodcock-Johnson."

When I saw this thread had 64 posts I was like "What is Rowan University and they cannot be talking just about whatever it is."

Just some oversensitive folks and now an epic battle about nothing. With some awful insights about us being clinically responsible for reactions to anonymous message board sprinkled in.

When I saw this thread had 64 posts I was like "What is Rowan University and they cannot be talking just about whatever it is."

Just some oversensitive folks and now an epic battle about nothing. With some awful insights about us being clinically responsible for reactions to anonymous message board sprinkled in.

Yeah, I ignored this thread because the title didn't catch my interest. Then I finally clicked on it today and, whoa, drama!

Yet again, I give thanks to SDN, for keeping me off Facebook today. I really needed to remain in the psychologically-minded sphere...and that was somewhat accomplished.

Editing this earlier comment to say prayers to those in Paris.

In bigger news today, will terrorism ever cease? As if it's in the sake of faith, I think not - No loving God would ever want this bloodshed. It seems to me like politicians are still breeding terrorism, lest permitting them from being bred. Renegade losers. Feels like September 11, 2001 to me, all over again. Needless waste of precious lives.

Sorry to end on a Debbie Downer note, my religious political is rant over. And good luck to any students interested in Rowan's clinical program, if they happen upon this thread.

Second edit: Not ending on Debbie Downer note.

wtC.png

The World Trade Center is shining Red, White and Blue in solidarity with France. I love NYC.

Folks, I sound like Rodney King now, but let's all just get along.

Last edited:
A simple google search would tell you that is the original drummer for the Who,

Eh, easier said than done. I just googled "random guy smoking" and nothing related to The Who came up. :).

Yes, you type fast and your posts tend to be extremely short, like little gems of wisdom bestowed upon lesser mortals. Look dude, no one is disputing your skill for calling out poor or flawed thinking and telling it as you see it. That's not at issue. I believe what's at issue are these flip and sarcastic comments, but you just don't seem to get that.

No one has to like anything, including me liking the way you treat people. That's understood. I think last I checked it's my right to voice an opinion about that. What began this argument is this comment that you made to the OP:

So, instead of do this, you have asked others to do it for you?

That does not speak to any type of flawed thinking or lack of logic, that's just plain RUDE and MEAN and infantile. A few months ago you posted asking about the history of postdoctoral hours for licensure. I was surprised by that because I've seen you berate people so often for not doing their own research ... But since I like to help, I did a little research on it and replied to you. If I had been you, I would have said, what's the matter, don't know how to do your own research? That's the spirit with which you make these comments, the less than subtle context being: What's wrong with you stupid? If you don't get that that's how you come across and how offensive that can be, and if others think that's okay and just laugh it off as erg being erg and find that amusing, well okay then. I guess I just have to live with the fact that that's the culture of the group.

Anonymity is not an excuse for rudeness among equals and professionals, in my opinion, but that seems to be the minority view here.

Also, I have frequently had PMs with people whom you've offended and who leave the board. This has happened over several years. If you're using PMs as evidence of something now, I would guess that I've heard from more people who are offended by you than you've gotten from thankful people.
Notice how his only response to this was "I think you're being hypersensitive?" I guess he can only comment on other people's inadequacies...

"Overreacting" (isn't that a word clinician's are supposed to avoid, since every feeling is valid?) I appreciate constructive criticism, and this is not me attempting psychoanalysis, but generally people who feel the need to be chronically sarcastic DO have some pathology. That is something I recognized before even starting my training. Also, jut because clinicians are not legally or ethically responsible for what someone does in response to something they read on a forum, my point was you would think after learning everything we do about people, their past, what makes up their personality, etc. that clinicians would have that fresh in their minds and CARE enough about human beings to not have to go out of their way to consistently produce sarcastic, or just plain crude, feedback.

"Overreacting" (isn't that a word clinician's are supposed to avoid, since every feeling is valid?) I appreciate constructive criticism, and this is not me attempting psychoanalysis, but generally people who feel the need to be chronically sarcastic DO have some pathology. That is something I recognized before even starting my training. Also, jut because clinicians are not legally or ethically responsible for what someone does in response to something they read on a forum, my point was you would think after learning everything we do about people, their past, what makes up their personality, etc. that clinicians would have that fresh in their minds and CARE enough about human beings to not have to go out of their way to consistently produce sarcastic, or just plain crude, feedback.

What does "every feeling is valid" mean? Is this based on some theory or research that I am unaware of?

Also, as an aside, I dont think you understand the theory which you seem to be commenting on. Defense mechanisms, if that's what you are referring to, serve a necessary function for the ego, right? Some are healthy. Some are not. Last time i checked, humor was labeled by Freud as one of the mature defenses. Attempts to paint use of a common defense mechanism as evidence of "pathology" tells me you you need to reread your assigned readings. Perhaps you try this again in a few years.

Last edited:
Crazypsychstudent, remember one of my 'valid' points from before? We are not exempt from the idiosyncrasies that uniquely make us who we are. No amount of training (individual therapy for the therapist, perhaps) will change our personalities...unless we have the violation to change. Again, it does not make it right (I am not condoning behaviors or attitudes or tones), but it is what it is.

You should do a lot of things once trained (uphold ethical, moral, legal standards 24/7), but do we? (Should've, could've, would've.) No, we do not. We are human, after all.

Brings back a random case in point: I always think of the clinical psychologist who was 5-10 yrs post-training, licensed, who had her husband killed. WTF?! She should've known better. She was certainly trained better...but she remained the distorted individual she started out to be regardless of her professional training. (Again, not saying anyone her is distorted). I'll say it again...come as you are. And I'll figure out my own reactions to you.

Some people in abusive relationships use "humor" as an excuse to belittle their partner, so it's not always healthy either. However, I wasn't referring to HUMOR, I explicitly said chronic sarcasm or plain crudeness.
What does "every feeling is valid" mean? Is this based on some theory or research that I am unaware of?

Also, as an aside, I think dont understand the theory which you seem to be commenting on. Defense mechanisms, if that's what you are referring to, serve a necessary function for the ego, right? Some are healthy. Some are not. Last time i checked, humor was labeled by Freud as one of the mature defenses. Attempts to paint use of a common defense mechanism as evidence of "pathology" tells me you you need to reread your assigned readings. Perhaps you try this again in a few years.

Crazypsychstudent, remember one of my 'valid' points from before? We are not exempt from the idiosyncrasies that uniquely make us who we are. No amount of training (individual therapy for the therapist, perhaps) will change our personalities...unless we have the violation to change. Again, it does not make it right (I am not condoning behaviors or attitudes or tones), but it is what it is.

You should do a lot of things once trained (uphold ethical, moral, legal standards 24/7), but do we? (Should've, could've, would've.) No, we do not. We are human, after all.

Brings back a random case in point: I always think of the clinical psychologist who was 5-10 yrs post-training, licensed, who had her husband killed. WTF?! She should've known better. She was certainly trained better...but she remained the distorted individual she started out to be regardless of her professional training. (Again, not saying anyone her is distorted). I'll say it again...come as you are. And I'll figure out my own reactions to you.
Exactly... I'm sure if people looked hard enough they would have noticed red flags from her behavior...

Well this escalated quickly.

Not sure I saw any evidence of social justice on either side of this back and forth. I think we may have different definitions of social justice.

It was a thinly veiled insult on his part. He loves to provoke.

Notice how his only response to this was "I think you're being hypersensitive?" I guess he can only comment on other people's inadequacies...

Yes, of course I noticed. But you know what? As rude and provocative as he is, he is just not worth the time it takes to write about him. I'm sure we're both busy and have lots of stuff to finish, so let's get to that and forget this pointless arguing.

It's clear to me, after years of evidence, that erg is the way he is and he's happy with that and not gonna change. I have no idea how he got that way and I don't really care. The best I can do is try to control my reactions to him.

He's annoying, I know. And he's offended and hurt many people over the years. But the worst part, if you ask me, isn't his rudeness, it's the fact that he has friends who will always support him and say that the people he offends are overreacting, that he is harmless, that we just have to accept him the way he is, that's he's amusing and telling it like it is.

That's what's really pernicious here. This attitude of his supporters creates a hostile climate on these boards for anyone who doesn't see the world in a particular way and doesn't agree with them. So people leave and the boards remain focused on a particular way of looking at the world, a kind of elite little club of folks who have the time and inclination to jump on every post and amuse themselves with their cleverness.

That's just how it is. It's sad but not hopeless. We can still reach out to people and warn them and create a type of resistance to their dominance. Or we can just go about with our lives and hope that the people they insult and berate are smart enough to realize that these dudes don't own the truth, and aren't really worth wasting time on.

Yes, of course I noticed. But you know what? As rude and provocative as he is, he is just not worth the time it takes to write about him. I'm sure we're both busy and have lots of stuff to finish, so let's get to that and forget this pointless arguing.

It's clear to me, after years of evidence, that erg is the way he is and he's happy with that and not gonna change. I have no idea how he got that way and I don't really care. The best I can do is try to control my reactions to him.

He's annoying, I know. And he's offended and hurt many people over the years. But the worst part, if you ask me, isn't his rudeness, it's the fact that he has friends who will always support him and say that the people he offends are overreacting, that he is harmless, that we just have to accept him the way he is, that's he's amusing and telling it like it is.

That's what's really pernicious here. This attitude of his supporters creates a hostile climate on these boards for anyone who doesn't see the world in a particular way and doesn't agree with them. So people leave and the boards remain focused on a particular way of looking at the world, a kind of elite little club of folks who have the time and inclination to jump on every post and amuse themselves with their cleverness.

That's just how it is. It's sad but not hopeless. We can still reach out to people and warn them and create a type of resistance to their dominance. Or we can just go about with our lives and hope that the people they insult and berate are smart enough to realize that these dudes don't own the truth, and aren't really worth wasting time on.

The length of the response is not congruent with the bolded sentence. Just thought I would point that out. :)

Hell, there are those of us who aren't his friends who think people get ridiculously bent out of shape. I can't stand the dude half the time, but I think the reactions to him are more ridiculous than anything he says. It's life, things will offend you, things will make you uncomfortable. Part of being an adult, and especially a professional in this field is learning to modulate your reactions to it.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.