Clinical Psych PhD Master's Included programs v. PhD only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to apply to Clinical Psychology PhD programs next year, so I'm just starting to get familiar with types of programs. I feel like I have a pretty good idea of the differences, but I've come across one that I can't figure out and haven't seen any relevant forums yet online -

I am looking at UT Southwestern in Dallas, TX (and I'm guessing this is true of some other programs too), and it looks like it offers only the PhD (no master's included in the program). The average completion time is 4 years, rather than the 6ish that seems true of programs with masters included. It seems like most of the more highly ranked ones on websites that compare programs include a master's during the PhD track, while UT Southwestern is in the mid-100s. However, it has a better licensure rate (96%) than some of those that are more highly ranked, and it seems to have pretty good stats/student outcomes in general for admission requirements, internship placements, faculty, etc.

Certainly these comparison sites aren't the be all end all for which programs are the "best", but it makes me wonder what the pros and cons are of a PhD only program v. a program with a master's included on the way. Aside from the shorter time frame, does anyone know what some pros/cons are for this type of program? Is there similarly adequate training? Or differences in quality of internship placement/hiring potential? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's practically useful to able to get a masters in the course of the PhD; in case something happens and you need to withdraw, you still have the masters. I wouldn't take a program out of consideration for not doing it, though, myself.

How does that work? Just wondering because you need a Masters for some practicum sites. Or do you get your Masters elsewhere?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If memory serves me correctly, quite a few programs dont operate this way. It's not hard to imagine that UT Southwestern has this well thought out, IMO. OP if you have questions, I'd consider emailing someone in that program that you'd like to work with and asking them about it.

As Cara said, some practicum sites/internship sites will require a masters although most do not. That said, I don't understand why a program wouldn't offer a MA on the way. It's a failsafe if you quit, it is also an easy way to boost your competitiveness if you opt to (getting licensed during degree). Wouldn't be a game killer not to have a MA, but almost all of the higher reputation schools offer a MA en route and so I think of it as a standard practice.

What do you gain from not having a masters- time? how much? Is there a decreased research emphasis/training by not having a thesis? Do you have enough research training? Questions like this pop in my mind about the issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like they have a "captive" APA accredited internship, 1/2 time during both the 3rd and 4th years. Interesting training model. All APA accredited. As long as you stick it out and are sure it's the training area you want to pursue, not getting the MS/MA along the way shouldn't be a hindrance.

I agree with ClinicalABA. I wouldn't sweat it if you're intending to stick through the program. Once you get your PhD the masters isn't worth much.

Thanks so much for all the input everyone! I'm definitely seeing both sides of the opinion base here... I'll be reaching out to the program itself and would be happy to report back for anyone interested in their reasoning behind the training philosophy :)