Clinical rotations at SGU and ROSS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my mother's friend had two daughters go to the carribean, one to Ross and the other to Sgu. She said that SGU had a big plus over ross bc most of its students do their clinicals in the same area and dont have to move around too much where her daughter at ross had to move around every 2 or 3 months.

Is this true, is it possible to complete most of ur clinical rotations in roughly the same area if you are an sgu student? Will u be able to do competitive electives in the same area also (plastics, ct surgery, neuro, ortho, rads....etc) or will u be more likely to move around to do these electives?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, you might want to check out www.valuemd.com to get more info on Caribbean medical schools.

I ll do that, but any comments from past, current, or future carrib. students?

Members don't see this ad :)
it's very possible to stay in one area as an sgu student. i finished all but two of my rotations at the same hospital in brooklyn, ny. i could've stayed for all of them, but opted to get some new experience. b/c sgu has so many hospitals in brooklyn, it's pretty easy to live in the same place for 2 years and do your clinicals.

i did rotate with some ross students, and the ones i met did have to move around a lot. from what they said, they were placed in various hospitals at various times, and they would try to find temporary housing or just have really long commutes for some months. so i think sgu definitely has the advantage in that respect. we have 'clinical centers' where you can finish most, if not all, of your rotations. as far as i know, ross doesn't have the equivalent of clinical centers, so you rotate a lot. but please correct me if i'm wrong.

hope that helps.

NRAI2001 said:

Ross info:

If you go to NY you rotate to different hospitals. Some people have had to move around for certain rotations because some NY rotations are DO....so if you want to practice in a state that doesn't allow this then you may opt for example to move away for a MD rotation.

Chicago everything is done at one hospital. I think Chicago placement is for better students?? Not sure how easy it is to get.

Sometimes people get to do all their rotations at Kern Medical Center in Bakersfield but only the top students and even then very few.

Another reason some people move around is that they choose to set-up their own at "better Hospitals". The paper work and time involved is extensive.

A few people have gone to Maryland and some new spots are available in WI...not sure the specific hospitals assoc.

The support from Ross during the clinical stage is minimal. Meaning you have to be your own advocate. You can get good rotations etc but you have to be the "squeaky wheel". And you may have to wait a few months for something to open up if you want to go somewhere beside NY. Ross lists every hospital that every student has ever rotated at...so it's a bit misleading for the applicant.

Just ask a lot of questions during the interview.

Mom2five said:
Ross info:

If you go to NY you rotate to different hospitals. Some people have had to move around for certain rotations because some NY rotations are DO....so if you want to practice in a state that doesn't allow this then you may opt for example to move away for a MD rotation.

Chicago everything is done at one hospital. I think Chicago placement is for better students?? Not sure how easy it is to get.

Sometimes people get to do all their rotations at Kern Medical Center in Bakersfield but only the top students and even then very few.

Another reason some people move around is that they choose to set-up their own at "better Hospitals". The paper work and time involved is extensive.

A few people have gone to Maryland and some new spots are available in WI...not sure the specific hospitals assoc.

The support from Ross during the clinical stage is minimal. Meaning you have to be your own advocate. You can get good rotations etc but you have to be the "squeaky wheel". And you may have to wait a few months for something to open up if you want to go somewhere beside NY. Ross lists every hospital that every student has ever rotated at...so it's a bit misleading for the applicant.

Just ask a lot of questions during the interview.

Cool, thanks.

docshr said:
it's very possible to stay in one area as an sgu student. i finished all but two of my rotations at the same hospital in brooklyn, ny. i could've stayed for all of them, but opted to get some new experience. b/c sgu has so many hospitals in brooklyn, it's pretty easy to live in the same place for 2 years and do your clinicals.

i did rotate with some ross students, and the ones i met did have to move around a lot. from what they said, they were placed in various hospitals at various times, and they would try to find temporary housing or just have really long commutes for some months. so i think sgu definitely has the advantage in that respect. we have 'clinical centers' where you can finish most, if not all, of your rotations. as far as i know, ross doesn't have the equivalent of clinical centers, so you rotate a lot. but please correct me if i'm wrong.

hope that helps.

That seems to be a big plus :thumbup:

Is it possible to do rotations in more competitive fields like: plastics, ortho, neurosurg., rads....?

Yes....if you really do well on your boards, in the end it doesnt matter what school you come from if you do really well on the boards you can compete with others for more competitive residencies.

For what it's worth, I'm having trouble finding radiology rotations at hospitals where there is a rads residency. I've encountered hospitals that either won't accept an IMG student (unless you're from SGU) or preference is given to students from U.S. med schools or even SGU. It's somewhat discouraging since I'm planning to go into rads and hoping to do at least 3 rotations before the ERAS deadline next year. It's funny cause some of these programs have taken Ross graduates into their rads residency.

awdc said:
For what it's worth, I'm having trouble finding radiology rotations at hospitals where there is a rads residency. I've encountered hospitals that either won't accept an IMG student (unless you're from SGU) or preference is given to students from U.S. med schools or even SGU. It's somewhat discouraging since I'm planning to go into rads and hoping to do at least 3 rotations before the ERAS deadline next year. It's funny cause some of these programs have taken Ross graduates into their rads residency.

is img= international medciag graduate???

awdc said:

So even for rotations SGU students are given preference?

NRAI2001 said:
So even for rotations SGU students are given preference?

That is correct. Two of the hospitals in NYC I've tried setting up a rotation gives preference for SGU over Ross. One of them has SGU students but won't take Ross students. Although, I don't know if there are other hospitals that give preference to Ross students over SGU students.