Clinical Volunteering Abroad: Voluntourism?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prav2198

Reaction score
Hey everyone. As a part of a school fellowship, for almost three months, I got a chance to work abroad with a locally led grassroots NGO that works with local experts on their rural community health and development projects.

I had the opportunity to assist on some of the organization’s projects (such as sanitation presentations and health trainings in local schools), and I also had a chance to work for a rural health clinic in partnership with the NGO and worked at patient intake by taking vitals and documenting histories. I am a certified scribe, but there was also a training period prior to working at the clinic.

I have an interest in rural and global health and working with underserved populations, and I got a chance to learn more about rural healthcare and rural health disparities, and I learned an lot about NGO management abroad.

Now, I have some doubts. Part of what I did with the NGO was non clinical but a large majority of it was clinical, and a lot of people make claims that clinical volunteering abroad falls under the realm of voluntourism. I just don’t exactly know how ADCOMS or medical schools will look at an experience like this, and I don’t know if they will consider it as “voluntourism” and unethical, and I’m wondering what people think. I do have a demonstrated interest in rural health and working with underserved communities, and I am working within that realm back home, but I don’t know how a fellowship abroad would look.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How long were you there abroad in the rural area? If it was 3 months, that's more than tourism and you should have no qualms about listing it on your application and describing how you used the opportunity to test your interest in rural health in low resource areas abroad. If it was 7-10 days, it is far more questionable.

Reactions: 1 user
It was about 3 months yes
How long were you there abroad in the rural area? If it was 3 months, that's more than tourism and you should have no qualms about listing it on your application and describing how you used the opportunity to test your interest in rural health in low resource areas abroad. If it was 7-10 days, it is far more questionable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with my learned colleague. Three months is a heavy time investment, unlike the the typical week you see the medical tourists do.

Agree with above - this is the "right" way to do global health.
- There for longer than spring break
- Local organization/professionals running the show
- Long-term, well-established facility in the community (rather than brigades that just kind of drop in and disappear)
- Doing activities you were appropriately trained for and would be permitted to do under the same circumstances in the US
- Work on public health, infrastructure, policy change, etc. in addition to direct provision of care
- In the broader context of an interest in global health and service in your own backyard

Reactions: 2 users
Closing as the OP has already posted previously and received similar advice. There is no need for further discussion on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.