Clinical Volunteering / Exposure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LostMyMTACard

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I graduated from college about 2 years ago and work in finance. I am considering applying to formal career changer postbacs this year (2018). I haven't taken any pre-med courses. With regard to volunteering, I have done very little active clinical work post-graduation. I spent a lot of time with non-medical community service before falling into a role doing STI/HIV prevention/education/and testing. This program is affiliated with a local hospital and I've built a rapport with some of the professionals / shadowed a couple of times, but most of my work revolves around anonymous testing/education in the community.

Because of changes in my jobs, I likely will not have time to do active clinical volunteering and do what I'm currently doing now. For the purpose of being competitive for formal postbaccs, do you think its worth it to switch to clinical work in the run up to the Fall or is doing what I'm doing + a little bit more shadowing going to be sufficient?

Members don't see this ad.