Clinical Volunteering Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katatonic88

Reaction score
I'm thinking of applying this coming cycle as I continue taking DIY post-bacc classes, but my volunteering hours are my main concern. I'll have around 50-100 hours of shadowing and around 200 hours non-clinical volunteering (crisis hotline) by July, but my clinical volunteering is currently at 0.

Actual clinical volunteer opportunities have been very difficult to find in my area (the local ED won't take volunteers, the hospital only let's you be in non-patient areas, etc.), but I finally have a potential lead on a position with a hospice. The hours are a bit limiting which means in 6 months I might be able to reach 100 hours if I'm there at least 4 hours a week. Is that time frame and hours too low?

Members don't see this ad.

It's the bare minimum.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Reactions: 4 users
It's the bare minimum.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Thanks Goro, I'm excited to start hospice volunteering. I didn't know crisis hotline work was considered clinical (or maybe that's a gray area), but I've been doing that for 3 years and love it. I'll look into some other non-hospital areas locally to get more involved!

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't know crisis hotline work was considered clinical (or maybe that's a gray area), but I've been doing that for 3 years and love it.
From my research on the topic it's generally considered clinical experience (and goro just said it, lol), but it's good to have other experiences to support it. I think it'd be good advice to still get that 50-100 hours of in-person in a more traditional setting.

I frequently rant about how toileting can be considered more "medical" than talking someone out of a desperate moment, when they both are, but I'm biased since my life's mission is mental health.

The ones that are more "gray area" are like the RBT folk who work with autistic children and do behavioral therapy. That is more split hairs under "education" even though you are seeing "patients" (everyone says client for stigma reasons). It's a medically necessary treatment according to the xyz agency and insurance etc so there is that as well, and it pays pretty good honestly.

Last edited: