Clinical vs Research emphasis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ask1288

http://alturl.com/3bjy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, For those of you who know the neuro programs well, can we make a list of programs with heavy research emphasis vs programs with more clinical emphasis. ps i know this will ultimately be subjective and there may be tons of disagreement, but just as a general guide

will appreciate it

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Out of the places that I interviewed, all had research opportunities but it was up to you to decide if you wanted to be involved. It seems to me that residency is what you make of it, and most places are happy to train you to become whatever kind of neurologist you would most like to be.

most of the "big name" programs are research oriented. You can often get a sense of this from their website. Hopkins is very research oriented. One that surprised me was Duke - I thought they would be big on research but their emphasis was very much clinical.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMHO, based on the places I interviewed (using the "top 82-list") I would say:

**I hope other past interviewers can add, or even better, current residents can modifiy the list. Disclaimer to residents, I apologize in advance, if I misrepresented your program, but this was my impression based on the interview day. Hope it helps!

1. MGH/Partners-Lots of research opportunities (MGH/BW/HMS/MIT) in 3-4 year if highly motivated

2. UCSF-Lots of research opportunities (clinical and basic).Flex program, allowing for 6 solid months of research

3. Columbia-Not enough time; Research oriented program though.

4. Hopkins-Lots of research opportunities. Almost required. More doable in the 4th year.

5. Penn

6. Mayo Clinic-lots of time and opportunity for clinical research. Opportunites to get masters, and even PhD.

7. WashU-Research encouraged, and lots of time to do it.

8. Stanford

9. UCLA-Research optional, and lots of time to do it in years 3-4, if motivated.

10. BI

NEXT TIER

11. Cornell
12. Yale

13. UT Southwestern- in 3-4 year if highly motivated. Clinical>>basic

14. Emory U-in 3-4 year if highly motivated

15. Duke

16. U of Rochester- research available. Clinical>Translational>basic, but one must show interest.

17. Michigan
18. Virginia
19. Cleveland Clinic
20. Mount Sinai

ANOTHER TIER

21. UCSD
22. U of Chicago-Not enough time; Research oriented program though.

23. Baylor

24. Rush-clinically oriented. Research available if motivated enough.
25. Oregon
26. Miami
27. USC-research available if motivated. Basic and clinical.

28. Albert Einstein
29. Case Western
30. Tufts
31. Colorado
32. Brown
33. UIC-research available if motivated. Clinical>basic
34. North Carolina
35. UAB
36. Thomas Jefferson
37. Northwestern
38. NYU
39. Arizona
40. Utah
41. Pittsburgh
42. George Washington
43. Cincinnati
44. U of Washington-Not enough time, unless highly motivateed; Research oriented program though.
45. U of Florida
46. Drexel
47. Vanderbilt
48. Iowa
49. UMass
50. Barrows Institute/Arizona
51. Georgetown
52. Boston U
53. Tulane
54. UMDNJ
55. Mayo/Scottdale
56. UTexas/Houston
57. Maryland
58. Minnesota
59. Wake Forest
60. Saint Louis
61. UC Irvine
62. Wisconsin/Madison-Research discouraged. Excellent clinical program.
63. UC Davis
64. Henry Ford
65. Mayo/Jacksonville
66. Loyola
67. LSU
68. Cleveland Clinic/Weston
69. Michigan State
70. Indiana
71. Long Island Jewish
72. Dartmouth
73. St. Vincents/NY
74. Kentucky
75. Loma Linda
76. Temple
77. Medical College of Georgia
78. SUNY/Syracuse
79. UConn
80. Ohio State
81. New Mexico
82. SUNY/Buffalo

I guess no one has anything to add.

I really expected more residents to have contributed to this dialogue, since, you know best what your program is like. The OP's question was one I had asked previosly, but no one seems to respond....why?

And not all programs have the same exact opportunities (research or clinical) for residents, so why not lay them out?

I'll add in what I can here from my interview trail... I can comment on Northwestern, Utah, Michigan, Dartmouth, and Oregon. In almost every place I interviewed, research opportunities were available-- it's just a question of time and dedication.

1. MGH/Partners-Lots of research opportunities (MGH/BW/HMS/MIT) in 3-4 year if highly motivated

2. UCSF-Lots of research opportunities (clinical and basic).Flex program, allowing for 6 solid months of research

3. Columbia-Not enough time; Research oriented program though.

4. Hopkins-Lots of research opportunities. Almost required. More doable in the 4th year.

5. Penn

6. Mayo Clinic-lots of time and opportunity for clinical research. Opportunites to get masters, and even PhD.

7. WashU-Research encouraged, and lots of time to do it.

8. Stanford

9. UCLA-Research optional, and lots of time to do it in years 3-4, if motivated.

10. BI

NEXT TIER

11. Cornell
12. Yale

13. UT Southwestern- in 3-4 year if highly motivated. Clinical>>basic

14. Emory U-in 3-4 year if highly motivated

15. Duke

16. U of Rochester- research available. Clinical>Translational>basic, but one must show interest.

17. Michigan-- research opportunities available, but not a ton of time in which to do it.
18. Virginia
19. Cleveland Clinic
20. Mount Sinai

ANOTHER TIER

21. UCSD
22. U of Chicago-Not enough time; Research oriented program though.

23. Baylor

24. Rush-clinically oriented. Research available if motivated enough.
25. Oregon- also more clinically oriented, though research opportunities are available.
26. Miami
27. USC-research available if motivated. Basic and clinical.

28. Albert Einstein
29. Case Western
30. Tufts
31. Colorado-- did an away rotation here, and enjoyed it. Opportunities exist, but it doesn't seem to be an emphasis.
32. Brown
33. UIC-research available if motivated. Clinical>basic
34. North Carolina
35. UAB
36. Thomas Jefferson
37. Northwestern-- I certainly hope there's research available-- that's one of the reasons I ranked them highly.
38. NYU
39. Arizona
40. Utah-- research opportunities available, and there seems to be time to do it.
41. Pittsburgh
42. George Washington
43. Cincinnati
44. U of Washington-Not enough time, unless highly motivateed; Research oriented program though.
45. U of Florida
46. Drexel
47. Vanderbilt
48. Iowa
49. UMass
50. Barrows Institute/Arizona
51. Georgetown
52. Boston U
53. Tulane
54. UMDNJ
55. Mayo/Scottdale
56. UTexas/Houston
57. Maryland
58. Minnesota
59. Wake Forest
60. Saint Louis
61. UC Irvine
62. Wisconsin/Madison-Research discouraged. Excellent clinical program.
63. UC Davis
64. Henry Ford
65. Mayo/Jacksonville
66. Loyola
67. LSU
68. Cleveland Clinic/Weston
69. Michigan State
70. Indiana
71. Long Island Jewish
72. Dartmouth-- research is encouraged.
73. St. Vincents/NY
74. Kentucky