Clinical vs Vet research experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BABKAK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a non-traditional student planning to apply to vet school in the next cycle. Currently I have a PhD in chemistry, and so lots of research experience. In order to gain the necessary veterinary experience to apply, I took a job as a veterinary assistant in a small animal clinic. Although working there is great, a lot of the work is monotonous cleaning, and not that much with the doctors learning about medicine and what they do. This practice doesn't let the assistants do much more than restrain animals and pull up vaccines. My question is would it be better to continue gaining clinical experience? I have only been working there two months, 40hrs/week, or should I find a job in a research lab under veterinary supervision? My concern is that I already have tons of research experience from my graduate work, and only a few hundred hours in clinical so far. Would it be better for my application to balance out my experience? another point, is that I am seriously considering going into biomedical research with the DVM and so would like to experience what that type of research is like.

If there is already a thread dealing with this topic, please let me know. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Honesty if you don't like working in the small animal clinic then you should consider moving jobs to what you would enjoy and would like to do with your DVM degree. I feel that having a few hundred hours in an area (as you do) is enough to tell interviewers that you tried out an area and you weren't fond of it. If, however, the only reason you don't like this job is because you feel that you aren't learning anything about medicine then I think you should try harder to ask the doctors questions at the vet clinic. All I do at my emergency clinic is clean and hold animals but I learn A LOT because I'm constantly asking the doctors what they're doing and why, how certain diseases develop, ect.

Did you research experience include working with animals? If not, you may want to explore lab animal medicine as a junction of the two fields of your interest. I found my lab animal work through my university's attending veterinarian and after working with them for four years, my heart is set on the field. A lot of that work is cleaning and record keeping, but if you're at a large enough institution you should be able to see a surgery or procedure or something of the sort.

As for your small animal clinic work - what sort of initiative have you taken with the doctors? Often times you need to be proactive about asking questions, engaging them, etc as they're so busy. If that yields unsatisfying results, you might consider switching clinics. (Also consider that many schools like to see some large animal work in the mix, if you haven't had some already.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have worked in 4 different small animal clinics. In all of the clinics that I have worked in, the Doctors were usually more than willing to take me under their wing, answer questions, explain things and teach me new techniques. I did however leave one clinic simply because it was not a good fit for me. If I were you, I would approach the vets and explain to them you are going to be applying to veterinary school and would like to be more involved in animal handling and medical procedures. I know if I had to clean all the time and didn't get to do anything else I would absolutely hate my job. If they are not compliant with your wishes I would try to find a job at another clinic where the assistants are more involved.

Hello,

I am a non-traditional student planning to apply to vet school in the next cycle. Currently I have a PhD in chemistry, and so lots of research experience. In order to gain the necessary veterinary experience to apply, I took a job as a veterinary assistant in a small animal clinic. Although working there is great, a lot of the work is monotonous cleaning, and not that much with the doctors learning about medicine and what they do. This practice doesn't let the assistants do much more than restrain animals and pull up vaccines. My question is would it be better to continue gaining clinical experience? I have only been working there two months, 40hrs/week, or should I find a job in a research lab under veterinary supervision? My concern is that I already have tons of research experience from my graduate work, and only a few hundred hours in clinical so far. Would it be better for my application to balance out my experience? another point, is that I am seriously considering going into biomedical research with the DVM and so would like to experience what that type of research is like.

If there is already a thread dealing with this topic, please let me know. thanks!

My personal opinion -

8 years ago I came into vet school with thousands and thousands of hours of research (initially a lot of inorganic chemistry but moved on to animal models/biomedical stuff) and the bare minimum of clinical (I think it was maybe a couple hundred hours, I only did it to put it on the application). I made it very clear in my app and interview that I wanted an alternative career within veterinary medicine, either through research or through a less patient-oriented/more behind-the-scenes specialty like pathology (where I am currently). Accepted first time around. Schools do not ding research-heavy people; on the contrary, some actually really like them

If you want to be a research vet and don't enjoy the clinical stuff, there is no reason to force yourself through it. Do the minimum and move on to a lab doing some animal model research or consider shadowing a lab animal vet. However, if it is more an issue of you not being ABLE to do anything clinical because you aren't being allowed and you WANT to do it, looking at other volunteer opportunities might be in order, either that or being a bit more "pushy" (not in an annoying way, just in a proactive way.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for the responses. My research was in inorganic chemistry, so no animals involved. However, one of my projects involved chemotherapy drugs and testing with cell cultures.

Anyway, I wouldn't say I don't like clinical, and I totally agree that you only get out what you put in, so I will definitely ask more questions and be more assertive for a start. I thought perhaps the clinic where I work is more restrictive than others since the doctor at the shelter where I volunteer let me give injections and said I could draw blood eventually.

Partly I would like to make sure I get a good range of experience before I apply next year, but I don't want to look flighty or unfocused.

Thanks for the help!

Partly I would like to make sure I get a good range of experience before I apply next year, but I don't want to look flighty or unfocused.

I think adcoms are used to applicants having numerous, smaller experiences and wouldn't see it as flightly or unfocused. Some schools (Penn comes to mind) want you to have more of a focus and have experience to back that up, but many schools are just happy to see that you've got the experience and can talk about it at an interview.

Remember: lack of large animal experience is a common problem in rejected applicants and it would be very beneficial to have some LA and/or equine on your application.

Anyway, I wouldn't say I don't like clinical, and I totally agree that you only get out what you put in, so I will definitely ask more questions and be more assertive for a start. I thought perhaps the clinic where I work is more restrictive than others since the doctor at the shelter where I volunteer let me give injections and said I could draw blood eventually.

I don't know about IL, but the clinic I worked at in VA was very restrictive. You couldn't even draw blood unless you were a licensed tech. So it definitely could be that too; the laws vary a lot by state (and how permissive the clinic is).

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know about IL, but the clinic I worked at in VA was very restrictive. You couldn't even draw blood unless you were a licensed tech. So it definitely could be that too; the laws vary a lot by state (and how permissive the clinic is).
In PA unlicensed techs can do everything licensed techs do, except get reimbursed for CE credits.

Reactions: 1 user
Aside from disliking the work, I would imagine the pay you receive is not optimal as a vet assistant with limited experience versus what you could be making in a position that utilizes your PhD and laboratory skills.

I made the mistake last year to take a job in a clinic, knowing that I'm not interested in that path, and it was all kinds of terrible while it lasted. The little I learned wasn't really worth the experience or the expense (after gas and scrubs, I didn't make much money).

Hello,

Definitely show the doctors you're interested. I have had two vets tell me now that they "won't chase me down to show/teach me something." It helps to be assertive, but still respectful of any boundaries that are placed on you as an assistant/newer employee.

It might be hard to tell this early on (or really easy, it depends) if clinical medicine is right for you. If you are seriously considering biomedical research, by all means, try it out! There's only one way to know for sure. With that being said, I don't think I've ever met a veterinary student who didn't change their end goals upon entering veterinary school.

I thought perhaps the clinic where I work is more restrictive than others since the doctor at the shelter where I volunteer let me give injections and said I could draw blood eventually.
This I pretty common, most shelters are going to let you get more involved than private practices will, especially in states where the laws about what unlicensed techs/assistance can do are more restrictive.

Hello!

I do not have a PhD but I do have a bachelors and I was treated in a similar manor in day practice. The unfortunate truth is that day practice is monotonous.

I would suggest looking into specialty centers. I currently work in an ER where there are specialties such as cardiology, neurology, surgery, dermatology, internal medicine, and holistics. Since we have so many specialty doctors, we are constantly teaching and learning from one another and we see all the tough cases that get punted from other clinics. I work in ER because it is my favorite specialty. I am an assistant so I cannot give controlled drugs, intubate, anesthetize, or place catheters, but I am given the opportunity to learn a great deal and do treatments as well as triage (which is my favorite thing to do- you never know what is coming through the door!).

Honestly I believe that in the year I have worked in ER and other specialties I have learned more about biology and vet med than I had in school or the few years I worked in day practice. And at least in my clinic, the doctors know I am interested in vet school so if they see or hear something cool- they make sure to point it out and teach me. We also have interns (vets that recently graduated from school and wanted experience before going out to get real jobs) and that has made the whole hospital become more teaching centric.

In conclusion, I would look into a specialty practice and then make sure to tell EVERYBODY that works there that you are into learning everything. I have stayed late off the clock to see interesting procedures and come in on my off days to go to cool doctors rounds- and it has only made me better prepared for vet school and gotten me to know more doctors for reference letters.

Good luck! Most ERs have a high turn over rate so start applying!