clinically vs research oriented pharmacy program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitkat06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the advantages of attending a more clinically oriented pharmacy program? Will having graduated from one exempt an applicant from needing a residency when applying to hospital setting jobs? positions in the VA clinic? because of relevant coursework taken & more extensive related experience during pharmacy school?

Also,

If someone were to attend and do extensive scientific research in a pharmacy school known for its research strengths in this area, would that student still need to pursue a fellowship or a Ph.D to establish credibility in the research scientific community?

Members don't see this ad.

What are the advantages of attending a more clinically oriented pharmacy program? Will having graduated from one exempt an applicant from needing a residency when applying to hospital setting jobs? positions in the VA clinic? because of relevant coursework taken & more extensive related experience during pharmacy school?

Also,

If someone were to attend and do extensive scientific research in a pharmacy school known for its research strengths in this area, would that student still need to pursue a fellowship or a Ph.D to establish credibility in the research scientific community?

I think all schools would like to classify themselves as clinically orientated. You school work is no substitute for a residency. As a resident you are a pharmacist and therefore have a lot more independence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses so far. So if a job posting requires something to the effect of "residency or relevant experience", experiences beyond what a typical student receive while in school (ie, extra classes in the area of practice, extra rotations in those practice settings/roles) would not qualify? Would it need to be a post-graduate job with a similar role in a hospital setting OR a residency?

Thanks for the responses so far. So if a job posting requires something to the effect of "residency or relevant experience", experiences beyond what a typical student receive while in school (ie, extra classes in the area of practice, extra rotations in those practice settings/roles) would not qualify? Would it need to be a post-graduate job with a similar role in a hospital setting OR a residency?

Relevant experience usually means past job experience after graduation. I am not sure the exact number but usually they say once year of residency translate to about 3 yrs of practice experience.

My answer is yes to the issue of doing postgraduate training of some sort after pharmacy school if you want to do research (although I'm biased in this opinion :) ).

Pharmacy school trains you to be a competent pharmacist (clinician, dispenser, DUR administration...). It imparts some skill at interpreting research but I've not come across a pharmacy school that had the time to train people for the effective conduct of research.

I may be wrong, a lot of the Rutgers folks I know end up in Piscataway sooner or later for a time, but that's the exception, not the rule for a school.

Yep - you absolutely need post-graduate training &/or (preferably &) experience. Your classes - even elective rotations, which is what you're referring to, won't help you.

I agree with lord - if the posting is looking for something like a residency or equivalent experience - if you don't have it, don't bother applying.

No, if it asks for "residency or equivalent experience" it means "residency or 3-5 years of work experience as a pharmacist" - as a student, you aren't really seeing the full picture, so it doesn't matter how much you have done. It is still a good idea to go above and beyond required curriculum if you have a strong interest in something - I went on a pharmacy exchange to two other countries, for example, and did a clinical and a bench-science research projects. Things like that can help your personal growth and professional development, but will not count on the job application.

ah, so it really doesn't matter where you go for your Pharm.D education since you are still need to fulfill a residency for hospital jobs even after attending a more clinically focused program, or a residency+fellowship or a Ph.D after graduating from a more research intense curriculum. I originally thought that the type of pharmacy school you attend would help in promoting the attainment of ones future career plans (in addition to motivation and ambition of the student, of course). Thanks everyone :)

I could see the futility in saying this but I am going to ask anyways, since Pharm.D is a clinical degree, should the clinical opportunities available to students be considered more than the research side?

as a student, you aren't really seeing the full picture, so it doesn't matter how much you have done.

hmm... as a resident..pharmacist..pharmacy supervisor...or as a director..most don't really see the full picture...:smuggrin:

hmm... as a resident..pharmacist..pharmacy supervisor...or as a director..most don't really see the full picture...:smuggrin:

Which is what?

ah, so it really doesn't matter where you go for your Pharm.D education since you are still need to fulfill a residency for hospital jobs even after attending a more clinically focused program, or a residency+fellowship or a Ph.D after graduating from a more research intense curriculum. I originally thought that the type of pharmacy school you attend would help in promoting the attainment of ones future career plans (in addition to motivation and ambition of the student, of course). Thanks everyone :)

I could see the futility in saying this but I am going to ask anyways, since Pharm.D is a clinical degree, should the clinical opportunities available to students be considered more than the research side?

I don't quite understand the question... but one factor that's left out in your question is the internship and work experience while in pharmacy school.

Industry tends to believe 1 year of residency is equivalent to 3 to 5 years of pharmacist experience. I don't agree. But when hiring a pharmacist, I would weigh the internship experience also...

Which is what?

The global role of health systems pharmacy operation in relation to patient care, pharamcoeconomics, and pharmacy education.

btw...stop asking tough questions.

Oh come on now, you've got it in ya'...just gotta dig deeper sometimes, I suppose.

Like trying to hit a 2 iron outa rough, over water, to birdie the last hole and pickup the 10 skins your groups been carrying over.

Oh come on now, you've got it in ya'...just gotta dig deeper sometimes, I suppose.

Like trying to hit a 2 iron outa rough, over water, to birdie the last hole and pickup the 10 skins your groups been carrying over.

2 iron???? I got rid of my 2 iron 20 years ago... maybe 10 years ago. You young bucks may be able to hit that Tiger Stinger with a 2 iron...but if I tried it..I would barely get the ball off the ground like a worm burner.

But I do have 3 awesome hybrids I can hit out of rought...180 to 220 yards!!

I say the 4 technical improvement in golf came from the balls, drivers, shaft, and hybrid.

The global role of health systems pharmacy operation in relation to patient care, pharamcoeconomics, and pharmacy education.

Oh...I left out research...cuz I know nothing about it.