Clinician to Researcher?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryleyross

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im currently in my first year of PA school but I realized that I want to become a researcher in epidemiology, which obviously would entail pursuing a PhD. I'm wondering if I should discontinue my program and go get MPH, or is it possible to gain experience as a PA and eventually pursue PhD in epi?

Members don't see this ad.

Shooting from the hip here, but I'm gonna say getting a PhD is going to be the only way to guarantee a research position. However, I think an MPH can often be enough to acquire a research position, especially if you do a project or two while attending.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Shooting from the hip here, but I'm gonna say getting a PhD is going to be the only way to guarantee a research position. However, I think an MPH can often be enough to acquire a research position, especially if you do a project or two while attending.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Well I'm more or less wondering if PAs have opportunities to gain research experiences to apply for PhD programs, or do I have to have a MPH to get any meaningful research experience? Does research experiences need to produce publications, or can it be just working/volunteering in research?