CME??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted958798

I am in a Family Medicine Program and also have my own license. I will be boarded in Family Medicine when I am done. Since I have my own license, do I have to do CME? If so, who do I report it to? AOA, AAFP, etc? I am a DO. No idea how this CME works or if there is a required place that I need to go to report it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in a Family Medicine Program and also have my own license. I will be boarded in Family Medicine when I am done. Since I have my own license, do I have to do CME? If so, who do I report it to? AOA, AAFP, etc? I am a DO. No idea how this CME works or if there is a required place that I need to go to report it.

Yes, you need to do CME. You need CME in order to renew your state license. You need CME in order to renew your board certification. Many large job sites require CME to continue credentialing you.

You report it to whoever is renewing your license/board certification/job site. I keep a folder in my email of all my CME certificates, but there are online websites/programs that will keep track of it (and report it automatically) for you.

Reactions: 1 users
The aafp can keep track of it for you. Then you can print out transcript from them as needed for any other organizations. I have to report to my state and the abfm to keep up my board certification. The abfm sends you emails to tell you what you need to do to keep the certification. My state sends me both emails and actual mail. We are at the end of a three year renewal cycle now and I’ve gotten more papers this year to remind me not to forget particular cme types.

Members don't see this ad :)
The aafp can keep track of it for you. Then you can print out transcript from them as needed for any other organizations. I have to report to my state and the abfm to keep up my board certification. The abfm sends you emails to tell you what you need to do to keep the certification. My state sends me both emails and actual mail. We are at the end of a three year renewal cycle now and I’ve gotten more papers this year to remind me not to forget particular cme types.
Awesome! Thank you! Any idea what the requirements are just for having your license if you aren't board certified yet? Or where to find this information?

Awesome! Thank you! Any idea what the requirements are just for having your license if you aren't board certified yet? Or where to find this information?

Typically, the hours you earn during residency suffice to fulfill state requirements.

After you graduate residency, pass the ABFM and receive ABFM certification, it behooves you to also maintain AAFP affiliation. AAFP offers the online quizzes and live course opportunity that will more than fulfill requirements for both organizations. ABFM certification is typically required for insurance credentialing, so pencil that one in as a have to. AAFP is not a have to, but certainly is a want to.

Your AOA dues pays for them to keep track of your CME's for you. Every time you get a certificate you submit it to the AOA. The email address is [email protected].

I struggled with this as well the first few years out of Residency.

You HAVE to for: ABFM, your state licensure.
Your job will surely require so much.

AAFP is not a must. It makes it easy to track, and they have a lot of quick and easy CME.