CMS proposed authorization for facet procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronin1

Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got a heads up that CMS is proposing adding all facet interventions 64490-95, 64633-36 to list of procedures requiring authorization as of 3/1/23. Hassle factor going up some more

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ever changing guidelines, audits, now auths...death of IPM by a thousand cuts...?

Reactions: 3 users
Just got a heads up that CMS is proposing adding all facet interventions 64490-95, 64633-36 to list of procedures requiring authorization as of 3/1/23. Hassle factor going up some more
maybe its time to become an opioid only clinic - this budget neutral crap is making me mad,

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
maybe its time to become an opioid only clinic - this budget neutral crap is making me mad,

“Budget neutral” is a diversion tactic. Facility fees increase every year.

It looks like this is for the hospital outpatient only (similar to what they did for Botox in this setting):

CMS proposes to add Facet Joint Interventions as a new service category subject to the Hospital Outpatient Prior Authorization Process on or after March 1, 2023. For CY 2020, CMS finalized a policy whereby hospitals must seek provisional affirmation of coverage before select outpatient services are furnished to beneficiaries and before a claim can be submitted for processing. This prior authorization requirement applied initially to only five categories of services: blepharoplasty, botulinum toxin injections, panniculectomy, rhinoplasty and vein ablation

I wonder if this will reduce clawbacks from RAC audits if they have to review for medical necessity first.