CND_Should I Continue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HonestRealization

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN, Members and Readers,

As the title suggests, I am posting this to get some honest feedback. I have crunched the numbers of courses with A+ required to get a competitive GPA (will elaborate soon), and they seem daunting.

Shall we start with the worst? O.K!

Current Program: B.Sc in Biology, Major in Microbiology, Minor in Chemistry
Current Year: 4
Overall GPA: 2.54
Year 1; 10 Courses, Term 1 GPA:3.06, Term 2: 3.22
Year 2; 10 Courses, Term 1: 2.40, Term 2: 1.93
Year 3; 7 Courses, Term 1: 2.22, Term 2 : 2.17

Obviously the academics above are far from achievement. What lead to such results? Procrastination, starting semesters strong, and then finishing in a "study-hard but there's more chances" attitude.

After shadowing physicians, and getting more exposure into the Medical Field; I realize how much I desire to be a Physician. In short, the ability to contribute to a dedicated professional field, make a comfortable living, be a resource needed globally, continue studying and understanding the deep details behind human sciences and be able to support a family and my past generations are only some of my reasons for wanting to pursue medicine. Honestly, I feel that it is the only career and role I'd enjoy.

Besides my academics, my EC are strong. After I decide on my final path, then will I schedule an MCAT sitting.

EC: - Toastmasters; 1 year
- Taekwondo; 4 years, Black belt in Spring 2015
- Rotary Member; 1 year
- St. John Ambulance Member; 2 years, 1 year as the Commanding Officer for a Youth Brigade
-Duke of Edinburgh Award: Gold Candidate (Completion expected July 2015)
- Various volunteering w/Community: Designated Driver, Paramedic Bike Squad, BC Summer Games Medical Volunteer, Racecar Speedway Medic
Hobbies:
- Piano; 8 years
- Laboratory Assistant (Making experiences for lower level classes); 1 year
- Ballroom/Latin American Dancing: 3 years
-Licenced Emergency Medical Responder (Obtained in Gr.11); 5 years.

Extra:
- Work as paramedic in Oil Field during Summer
- Genetics Professor, Animal Phys, and Biochem Professor all have mentioned that they know I've got what "it takes" (If that holds any value)

The number crunching I did? 70 courses of A+ to obtain a GPA of 3.8 on the 4.33 scale.

Please members, let me know your opinion and perspective. This upcoming year, I realize there has to be change even If I want to remotely consider a MD program. Be honest and truthful please, where your recommendations all hold strong meaning and value to me.

Regards,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

As the title suggests, I am posting this to get some honest feedback. I have crunched the numbers of courses with A+ required to get a competitive GPA (will elaborate soon), and they seem daunting.

Obviously the academics above are far from achievement. What lead to such results? Procrastination, starting semesters strong, and then finishing in a "study-hard but there's more chances" attitude.

After shadowing physicians, and getting more exposure into the Medical Field; I realize how much I desire to be a Physician. In short, the ability to contribute to a dedicated professional field, make a comfortable living, be a resource needed globally, continue studying and understanding the deep details behind human sciences and be able to support a family and my past generations are only some of my reasons for wanting to pursue medicine. Honestly, I feel that it is the only career and role I'd enjoy.

Besides my academics, my EC are strong. After I decide on my final path, then will I schedule an MCAT sitting.

- Rotary Member; 1 year
- St. John Ambulance Member; 2 years, 1 year as the Commanding Officer for a Youth Brigade
Hobbies:
- Piano; 8 years

Extra:

The number crunching I did? 70 courses of A+ to obtain a GPA of 3.8 on the 4.33 scale.

Please members, let me know your opinion and perspective. This upcoming year, I realize there has to be change even I even want to remotely consider a MD program. Be honest and truthful please, where your recommendations all hold strong meaning and value to me.

Regards,
Just a FYI, AMCAS counts A+'s as 4.0, not 4.33's.

- Rotary Member; 1 year
Hobbies:
- Piano; 8 years

Extra:

Please members, let me know your opinion and perspective. This upcoming year, I realize there has to be change even I even want to remotely consider a MD program. Be honest and truthful please, where your recommendations all hold strong meaning and value to me.

Regards,
You don't need to have a 3.8 in order to get into an MD program.
A 3.5 - 3.6 is sufficiently competitive as long as it is supplemented with a decent MCAT score.

You also have the DO, PA, and NP option. You will have to do research on your own to decide which of these you want to pursue, and whether you have a realistic chance of raising your GPA to meet those standards.

You have the option of doing post-bac or special master's program. Though it will not boost your GPA to an enormous extent, adcoms will take your efforts in post-bac/smp into consideration. People with low GPAs have successfully moved on to MD programs through this route.

Furthermore, your reasons listed for becoming a physician are common. However, do bear in mind the cons of becoming a physician, and you will have to do EXTENSIVE research on what I'm talking about (ie. the repercussions of obamacare, hospital politics, "eating the young", patient aggression, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a FYI, AMCAS counts A+'s as 4.0, not 4.33's.
You don't need to have a 3.8 in order to get into an MD program.
A 3.5 - 3.6 is sufficiently competitive as long as it is supplemented with a decent MCAT score.

You also have the DO, PA, and NP option. You will have to do research on your own to decide which of these you want to pursue, and whether you have a realistic chance of raising your GPA to meet those standards.

You have the option of doing post-bac or special master's program. Though it will not boost your GPA to an enormous extent, adcoms will take your efforts in post-bac/smp into consideration. People with low GPAs have successfully moved on to MD programs through this route.

Furthermore, your reasons listed for becoming a physician are common. However, do bear in mind the cons of becoming a physician, and you will have to do EXTENSIVE research on what I'm talking about (ie. the repercussions of obamacare, hospital politics, "eating the young", patient aggression, etc).

**REPLY**

Thanks for the honest response. Besides my listed reasons I would also add: Would have a science career where ties and kakhis are normal, can continue succession within St. John Ambulance as a Medical Officer, and my interest in always being professional and resolving issues through further questions and critical thinking (similar to councillor).

I'll look more into the cons as well; recently been listening to "White Coat, Black Art" while driving. Might pick up some information from that.

Cheers,

Reactions: 1 user
so you will be a Canadian applicant?

Yes SkipJunior, When applying, I would prefer Canadian institutions.

okay, if you do apply to American schools, keep in mind that Canadian applicants need to have a higher GPA and higher MCAT score than American applicants...and that's only for the American schools that accept Canadian applications.

okay, if you do apply to American schools, keep in mind that Canadian applicants need to have a higher GPA and higher MCAT score than American applicants...and that's only for the American schools that accept Canadian applications.

Due to that fact and my current transcript status, I'd be looking to stay within Canada. My ultimate question, which may need to be better phrased, is "with my current academic history, but realization of how much I need to improve, should I still pursue Medicine?

Thanks for your input!

Due to that fact and my current transcript status, I'd be looking to stay within Canada. My ultimate question, which may need to be better phrased, is "with my current academic history, but realization of how much I need to improve, should I still pursue Medicine?

Thanks for your input!
Most of us here have little information on the nuances of a Canadian application (in Canada). You may have better luck on the international forum. I don't even know what you mean by CND.
I looked it up and only found Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament!

Reactions: 1 users
Most of us here have little information on the nuances of a Canadian application (in Canada). You may have better luck on the international forum. I don't even know what you mean by CND.
I looked it up and only found Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament!

Thanks gyngyn,

By CND I meant "Canadian", no Nuclear Disarmament advocacy here!
I'll copy this thread over to the International Section; if there are any individuals whom know of the Canadian System, please reply.

On a side note gyngyn, in the US, would an individual in my scenario be able to recover there? Recover in the sense of taking more courses with higher marks to increase their GPA.

Thanks

Thanks gyngyn,

By CND I meant "Canadian", no Nuclear Disarmament advocacy here!
I'll copy this thread over to the International Section; if there are any individuals whom know of the Canadian System, please reply.

On a side note gyngyn, in the US, would an individual in my scenario be able to recover there? Recover in the sense of taking more courses with higher marks to increase their GPA.

Thanks
You can use the sticky above to calculate your AMCAS gpa. From the look of it, grade repair would take years for MD. The 21 DO schools that accept international applicants will permit you to re-take classes you did poorly in and replace the old grade with a new (presumably better) grade. This is what I would recommend for a US applicant in your situation.