CO2 and O2 exchange question re: hco3-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_Strange

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So when you produce CO2 is a byproduct during Krebs cycle, I assumed that that CO2 moleculec leaves the cell, enter the vessel in some cases and travels to the lung to be expelled from the body. But according to the the equation involving carbonic anyhdrase apparently co2 is carried to teh lungs primarily as hco3-? This is what kaplan says, I was wondering if someone can maybe explain the chemistry as to why it needs to be protonated? a question by aamc was related to hco3 conc and stuff

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

CO2 + H2O <- (carbonic anhydrase) -> H2CO3 <-> HCO3- + H+

We expel CO2 when we breathe out, but it primarily travels in the blood as HCO3-. Plasma is aqueous so CO2 wouldn't be carried as well in blood as HCO3-.

Reactions: 1 user
CO2 is a gas at normal temperatures and pressures. That's why dry ice sublimes at room temperature. So imagine trying to force a bunch of CO2 (and it is a bunch since every cell in your body is respiring) into aqueous solution. That's very hard. That's the reason why when you open a bottle of soda, you get the "hiss" sound. The CO2 is under a lot of pressure because you needed that pressure to force it into solution and once you open it, the CO2 leaves solution and escapes. If you leave it for too long, too much escapes and the soda tastes "flat."

Reactions: 1 user
CO2 is a gas at normal temperatures and pressures. That's why dry ice sublimes at room temperature. So imagine trying to force a bunch of CO2 (and it is a bunch since every cell in your body is respiring) into aqueous solution. That's very hard. That's the reason why when you open a bottle of soda, you get the "hiss" sound. The CO2 is under a lot of pressure because you needed that pressure to force it into solution and once you open it, the CO2 leaves solution and escapes. If you leave it for too long, too much escapes and the soda tastes "flat."

I don't drink pop anymore, but this is cool to know! I would always be bummed when my coke went bad after a day or so.