Coaching a kid's BBall team

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainPoopyPants

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering coaching a kid's basketball team. I'm actually interested in doing this, possibly for a YMCA team or just a local city league. Unfortunately, I won't really have the time to do it unless it will also look positively on my application. Will med schools see this as significant non-medical volunteering? I'd really like to do it but need more EC hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a friend do this and it turned out well for him. If possible, try to do it in an underserved community.

I'm considering coaching a kid's basketball team. I'm actually interested in doing this, possibly for a YMCA team or just a local city league. Unfortunately, I won't really have the time to do it unless it will also look positively on my application. Will med schools see this as significant non-medical volunteering? I'd really like to do it but need more EC hours.
Do what you love and love what you do.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do what you love and love what you do.
I appreciate that, but I think I love getting into medical school more than I do coaching kids basketball. Now, if coaching would help me get into med school, 2 birds 1 stone. But I'm afraid that it won't be looked at as a quality volunteer opportunity.

If you like doing this then you should be able to talk passionately about it. That’s always a good thing.if it’s not with an underserved population (think inner city or something like that) then I’d look for some volunteering with those less fortunate in the off-season