Coagulation cascade memorization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlondeCookie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time memorizing the steps of the coagulation cascade. Is there a mnemonic or some sort of easy way people are using to memorize all the intrinsic, extrinsic, and common pathways?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there is. I think you just have to draw out a diagram over and over and try to turn it into a story. What parts of it are you specifically having trouble remembering, I mean are you having trouble remembering what activates what or which require calcium or what?

I don't think there is. I think you just have to draw out a diagram over and over and try to turn it into a story. What parts of it are you specifically having trouble remembering, I mean are you having trouble remembering what activates what or which require calcium or what?

Yes, I am having trouble remembering what activates what, but also having some trouble remembering what each factor is. For example, Factor I = Fibrinogen, Facter II = Prothrombin, Factor III = Tissue Thromboplastin, etc. And another thing, some texts have simpified steps of the extrinsic, intrinsic, and common pathways. While other texts are more comprehensive. So, it's a bit confusing getting it all straight.

A couple of specific questions.
1) Both the intrinsic & extrinsic pathway are occuring at the same time correct? For example, a trauma such as a paper cut would set off both pathways simultaneously, right? :confused:
2) Is the coagulation cascade (ie intrisic, extrinsic, common pathways) a part of primary hemostasis or secondary hemostasis?

simplify by ditching the roman numerals, and using alphanumerics instead

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I am having trouble remembering what activates what, but also having some trouble remembering what each factor is. For example, Factor I = Fibrinogen, Facter II = Prothrombin, Factor III = Tissue Thromboplastin, etc. And another thing, some texts have simpified steps of the extrinsic, intrinsic, and common pathways. While other texts are more comprehensive. So, it's a bit confusing getting it all straight.

A couple of specific questions.
1) Both the intrinsic & extrinsic pathway are occuring at the same time correct? For example, a trauma such as a paper cut would set off both pathways simultaneously, right? :confused:
2) Is the coagulation cascade (ie intrisic, extrinsic, common pathways) a part of primary hemostasis or secondary hemostasis?

1) Yes, they both occur at the same time. However, the designations of "intrinsic" and "extrinsic" pathway are only really useful in a laboratory setting (i.e., determining PTT or PT). In vivo, the two pathways likely interact with each other extensively (for example, 7 can activate 10).
2) Secondary hemostasis. Primary hemostasis refers to the formation of the platelet plug

1) Yes, they both occur at the same time. However, the designations of "intrinsic" and "extrinsic" pathway are only really useful in a laboratory setting (i.e., determining PTT or PT). In vivo, the two pathways likely interact with each other extensively (for example, 7 can activate 10).
2) Secondary hemostasis. Primary hemostasis refers to the formation of the platelet plug

Very nice explanation. Much thanks UCLAstudent and everyone else! I've got this one down good now.

Also don't forget that fibrinolysis is getting fired up at about the same time that the coagulation cascade is being fired up. Its typically taught as sequential, but that isn't entirely true.

One thing I use is this mnemonic: picturing a woman crying over a break up, talking about her ex (extrinsic pathway), and how he was a professional hockey player (the number 7 turned upside down looks like a hockey stick). The whole time she is crying, so she is using a tissue (factor). But before her boyfriend played hockey, he also played baseball (10 looks like a bat and a baseball) and golf (9 looks like a golf club).

One thing I use is this mnemonic: picturing a woman crying over a break up, talking about her ex (extrinsic pathway), and how he was a professional hockey player (the number 7 turned upside down looks like a hockey stick). The whole time she is crying, so she is using a tissue (factor). But before her boyfriend played hockey, he also played baseball (10 looks like a bat and a baseball) and golf (9 looks like a golf club).

Lord, thats too much work.

Someone in our class had this pneumonic for intrinsic.

Factor Eleven (ends in n) goes to Factor Nine (begins with n, ends in e) which by the action Factor Eight (begins in E, ends in T) in the presence of Calcium, converts Factor Ten to Ten-a (begins with T)

Also, everything with "a" is active. Without a, inactive.

Someone should send that in to FA.

Reactions: 1 user
lordy lordy many years reading the same ol stuff, still cant hold it in ....

couple hours later & caffeine crashed, this i still remember from my mnemonic (which i devised today...the previous one seems to have been erased from the brain)

1 ex 7 (forgot what the 1 was for...maybe i was thinking 1 factor...)
ex warf (wife - warf) ex warf (from warfarin has a role in here)

12 in ptt + 3 (sing it)
3 for 3 more factors (11,9,8)
3 for ptt has 3 letters :O
in = intrinsic

...hopefully i remember 12 in ptt so then the other one - pt is ex 7

the final = 10 5 2 1 (you know... math... )

two - thrombin

1 ...f1br1nogen

Last edited:
The actual name of the factors you can remember as follows:

"Foolish People Try Climbing Long Slopes After Christmas Some People Have Fallen "

I have always found it helpful.
As far as the cascade goes if you draw it out a bunch of times you won't have any problem remembering it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
if anyone's a visual learner, try to stick to using only one image of the cascade - i chose goljan's picture in his rapid review book. I kept referring to it when I forgot a component of the picture, and by the end, I could draw it out for you. if you're visual, keeping things simple will reduce the number of images you'll need to recall. that worked for me, good luck!

For the common pathway, just think of dollar denominations:

$10
$5
$2
$1

W ex PT : Warfarin; Extrinsic Pathway; only one coag factor 7

Rest in aPTT; Heparin (12,11,9,8)

Image:US_$2_obverse-high.jpg
:diebanana:
Image:US_$2_obverse-high.jpg

These are notes from our board review that I've attached. So, it might be a little hard to understand. But, we sat there in review and drew it out a few times and everyone in my class pretty much mastered it. Hope you understand the notes.

Attachments

• Clotting Cascade cheat sheet.doc
    32.5 KB · Views: 4,474
Reactions: 3 users
very nice notes scpod, was having similar problems as the OP and your notes helped a ton! If you have similar notes for other concepts please do share :)

I know this is a back-from-the-dead thread, but WOW! These notes are amazing.

how does heparin work? anyone have a succint answer for that? I know that it works in the intrinsic pathway (measured by PTT) and it works with AntiThrombin III to inactivated Factor 5 and 8?

how does heparin work? anyone have a succint answer for that? I know that it works in the intrinsic pathway (measured by PTT) and it works with AntiThrombin III to inactivated Factor 5 and 8?

heparin binds and accelerates the action of antithrombin III -> degradation of activated clotting factors (thrombin)

start with extrinsic pathway. sounds like exercise, PT (physical training) which you should probably do 7 days a week. Also must be outside of you coming in like a knife so what will help things out tissue factor. Who does a lot of PT, the military so they are prepared to go to WARfarin.

INtrensic factor well its the other one, so PTT/heprin. I just remember its the ones around 10 but not 10 in decending order. 12-11-9-8.

both of them converge at 10 which is how i remember which one is skipped in intrensic pathway. you just have to remember this part although the money example above is sweet so in available bills. 10-5-2-1

SOme notes. PTT/PT are elevated with use of either anticoag. if you look at the pathway it makes sense to use the ones they use as a judge for the effecacy bc it includes the right blocked factors(makes most sense for warfarin). Von WIllibrans doesn't really play a part in clotting but you can see a variation bc it increases the half life of 8, so you have a defacto 8 def. so PTT is elevated(it is one of the ones around 10 right.)

I have a minilecture I do on this but cant do as well writing it out. I hope someone takes something away from this. If you have questions ask, if you have an example to improve my lecture post it(the money one is great). I learned this because a Prof. that I hate said it is impossible and pointless to memorize the 3Cs of medicine(krebs,coag,complement) i memorized the first two and it has served me well, even on what i suspect are his questions.

it breaks down the following, 9,10,11,12,and 2. which are all in the full intrinsic pathway(intrinsic plus common) which is why using PTT is a better judge of heparin function.

warfarin, 10, 9, 2, 7. it has seven so bingo it will affect extrinsic pathway more.

Also both drugs raise both PT, PTT. they both have at least one factor in the common pathway so it must affect both.

I took my boards today and that cheat sheet which i learned lived from dr barone got me atleast four questions right and each question took me all of 30 seconds.

The way I memorized it was:

Intrinsic:
12....11.....9.....8 (skip 10)

Extrinsic: (I went to War (warfarin check with PT) with my "Ex", who is a "Physical Therapist" (PT)- Of course, Intrinsic are the other choices[PTT/Hep])

Both converge onto 10 (common pathway begins here). Next is 5. 10 divided by 5 is 2 (Thrombin= which also goes back and activates more 5). 2 cut in half is 1, finishing off with Fibrin (13 activates- u'll just have to memorize that).

This is kind of silly but in Asian culture, the number 8 is lucky, like winning a Volkswagen (VW) in "A" contest. (VW stabilizes 8, and "A" being hemophilia A, with B the one right after it (9)).

I guess making up your own little stories will be the best.

These are notes from our board review that I've attached. So, it might be a little hard to understand. But, we sat there in review and drew it out a few times and everyone in my class pretty much mastered it. Hope you understand the notes.

Holy ****ing ****, those notes are amazing. I'm going to e-mail it to all my friends. And yes, I know. Crypt-posting. But seriously, these notes are that good to justify it IMO.

is our generation seriously too ADD to freaking memorize a simple flow chart? just draw it like 10x and it's in the memory banks. no need to sing songs or hit up random obscure notes

:thumbup:Barone Rocks:)......

Factor ate starts with A, so it goes with hemophilia A. Missing Factor 9 would turn your world upside down (9 looks like an upside down B for Hemophilia B).

Just wanted to bump this up, because that cheat sheet is amazing!

Other little facts that help me remember this:
-"PET": PT = extrinsic (includes all the common factors and Factor 7)
="PITT": PITT = intrinsic (includes all factors except 7, 13)

How to remember the factors involved in both: 1 x 2 x 5 = 10 (Factors 1,2,5,10)

if you ever need anything ever in life let me know and i will do my best to do it for you.

anything.

ever.

The easiest thing for me was to use the diagram in FA in such a way that I drew a wall/line to separate the extrinsic from the intrinsic pathway. Than I placed all the relative info pertaining to each pathwy on the respective side of the wall.

One of the most awesome guides I had ever read. For as long as I can remember I could not figure out a way to organize the stupid coag cascade. Your doc made its memorization seamless. WOW!!!!

Thanks a bundle.

12? no, 11.98. i'm intrinsically a cheapskate...

the rest should be bruteforceable.

Reactions: 2 users

These notes are golden! Thank you so much Scpod.

Watch the pathoma video on coagulation. If you don't have pathoma, find someone who does, and ask to watch it with them.

I'm having a hard time memorizing the steps of the coagulation cascade. Is there a mnemonic or some sort of easy way people are using to memorize all the intrinsic, extrinsic, and common pathways?
OMG dont even try to MEMORIZE this, because you ll have further problems with drugs
Pathoma 4th section, dr. Sattar explaining for idiots(you can find his videos by kickingass.to someone if you dont want to pay for it yet, I definetely recommend you to watch his videos first for free, and if you d like it then to buy

a is active form
without a - is procoagulants(inactevated, floating in plasma all the time)

e.g. factor 1 is fibrinogen
Factor 1a is fibrin

First we need to get to factor 10
Intrinsic 12 11 skip 10(because we need to get to 10)- 9- 8
Extrinsic - 7
After we get to 10 we need to get to 1
10 - 5 - 2 - 1

Reverse
1 * 2= 2
2*5=10

And we get to fibrin
1(fibrinogen)
And yes, learning coag cascade with drugs is mandatory

Attachments

• 400px-Coagulation_full.svg.png
    400px-Coagulation_full.svg.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 88
Top kek, who tells you to learn that way?:D Is it even helpful?