COCA Accreditation Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brockhamptonfanacct

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Per this link: https://osteopathic.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/colleges-of-osteopathic-medicine.pdf

A few schools I didn't expect have accreditation with heightened monitoring statuses per COCA as of this year -- MSUCOM, VCOM, and WCUCOM, for example. I searched what accreditation with heightened monitoring entails generally, but is there any way to find out specifically what caused COCA to give a certain school a certain accreditation status? In the same vein, is there a way to identify what distinguishes a certain school with an "accreditation" status from an "accreditation with exceptional outcome" status other than the generic criteria COCA provides?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Here are the accreditation definitions:

Here is the description of each standard and the elements which compose them:

It would be great to learn which specific elements and standards each school is not meeting. Given how damaging that might be though, I doubt those details exist outside tight lock and key.

Reactions: 1 user
Here are the accreditation definitions:

Here is the description of each standard and the elements which compose them:

It would be great to learn which specific elements and standards each school is not meeting. Given how damaging that might be though, I doubt those details exist outside tight lock and key.

Ah yeah, that was my question. I found what the different standards/elements are but was wondering which deficiencies in particular some schools have. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
For WCUCOM I know it was the research component per our dean, I know the school is actively working to correct this and has hired more faculty dedicated for research. Feels like COCA has(thankfully) increased some accreditation standards for research and other things requiring atleast one core rotation with residents and inter professional education etc. i feel like WCUCOM has improved quite a bit since the last site visit in 2014 but the standards have just increased

Reactions: 1 user
For WCUCOM I know it was the research component per our dean, I know the school is actively working to correct this and has hired more faculty dedicated for research. Feels like COCA has(thankfully) increased some accreditation standards for research and other things requiring atleast one core rotation with residents and inter professional education etc. i feel like WCUCOM has improved quite a bit since the last site visit in 2014 but the standards have just increased

Thanks for clarifying this, I was curious about WCUCOM!