COCA grants pre-accreditation to 2 new schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most of Boston's schools aren't going to be interested in a DO school either because they can or already have a MD school or are an undergraduate driven liberal arts college with no desire or need to build up a graduate program portfolio. That's the unfortunate thing about DO school expansion, you're stuck picking through some really uncompetitive or not highly respected colleges if not entirely a stand alone.

That being said a DO school in Boston would have a really high average and be very highly desired.
the existing established DO schools would have much higher averages if class sizes were cut to 100 each. Especially yours.

Members don't see this ad.

the existing established DO schools would have much higher averages if class sizes were cut to 100 each. Especially yours.

Maybe, but then I wouldn't be in my class then ( And doing quite well) lol.

But yah, reducing KCU to 200 would do us good since that way would keep almost everyone in KC.

Yes! This is very important! Some schools are beginning to realize this while others are just like :whistle::sleep::shrug:

NYITCOM, which normally has an entering class size of 300 students, is starting to slowly cut back. I hope other schools follow suit.

Members don't see this ad :)

KCUMB's current class I believe is 3.6/29. Seems like they can still have a big class and have pretty darn high averages.

Reactions: 1 user
KCUMB's current class I believe is 3.6/29. Seems like they can still have a big class and have pretty darn high averages.
now, just imagine how even higher it would be if the class size was cut in half. Just this simple move would bring numerous schools into the 3.6/30+ range and make them look much better...

edit: to boot, they also would be able to eliminate most of their more questionable rotation sites.

Last edited:

I'm not really sure where that number is coming from.

now, just imagine how even higher it would be if the class size was cut in half. Just this simple move would bring numerous schools into the 3.6/30+ range and make them look much better...

edit: to boot, they also would be able to eliminate most of their more questionable rotation sites.

Like I said, then I or many other very well preforming students in our class would not be attending the school. As much as I was a stat hog before, I think there is a problem with the previous model of the mcat in that it did truly fail to select for people who would have done well in the curriculum and also been successful in graduating in an orderly fashion.

And we actually have a lot of rotation sites. We have 100+ in KC and then more than 2x class size scattered between MO, FL, OH, and MI. Which people actually in many cases choose to go to over staying in KC. So I wouldn't say any of our rotation sites are inherently.... questionable.

Like I said, then I or many other very well preforming students in our class would not be attending the school. As much as I was a stat hog before, I think there is a problem with the previous model of the mcat in that it did truly fail to select for people who would have done well in the curriculum and also been successful in graduating in an orderly fashion.

And we actually have a lot of rotation sites. We have 100+ in KC and then more than 2x class size scattered between MO, FL, OH, and MI. Which people actually in many cases choose to go to over staying in KC. So I wouldn't say any of our rotation sites are inherently.... questionable.
higher averages will help improve the perception of programs. The rigor/quality non-MD medical schools are inherently regarded with some level of doubt by outsiders- and getting admission standards more MD-like would help mitigate this. Achieving this even while losing some students who might have done well is still worthwhile.

I know you will mention how KCU's reputation is already great and standards are fine. But with any school, it can always be better--and this is just one easy way for programs to do so.

Last edited:
higher averages will help improve the perception of programs. The rigor/quality non-MD medical schools are inherently regarded with some level of doubt by outsiders- and getting admission standards more MD-like would help mitigate this. Perception matters, and achieving this even while losing some students who might have done well is still worthwhile.

I know you will mention how KCU's reputation is already great and standards are fine. But with any school, it can always be better--and this is just one easy way for programs to do so.

Right, I think what will improve the perception of the program is investing money into residencies, research, outreach into the community, and having good outcomes. I don't go to Washington U at SL and say this place is amazing because it has a 3.8/36 average. I go there and say it's great because it has a lot of shiny **** and smarty pant labs. While I can agree that at least for my school a small reduction might do us some good ( lets say 270 to 240), it's not inherently negatively affecting us having a class our size as it is only stat in by us ( Compared to AZCOM for ex which has multiple programs).

But either case, I digress. You're not going to change the perception of DO schools by making them more competitive. You change the perception by producing adequate and quality physicians, of which I am sure all of my current classmates will be. And in the end I don't believe that reducing our class size would change anything.

I mean, we're really not as bad as Western. Our school is no dump and it can handle itself and reducing its class size in reality would only effectively make our lectures smaller.

My school has moved towards weighing MCAT heavier than before. This has resulted in higher averages but there was also an increase in the number of unlikable students.

Getting a high MCAT score does not necessarily indicate that a person will make a good physician.

My school has moved towards weighing MCAT heavier than before. This has resulted in higher averages but there was also an increase in the number of unlikable students.

Getting a high MCAT score does not necessarily indicate that a person will make a good physician.
but perception still matters, and admission standards (including dreaded premed metrics) play a significant factor in it, like it or not.

Admittedly, one thing KCU does right is select a really amazing class. The people in my class are very likable and personable and I would honestly feel very comfortable with them as my physician. And if that means that a few of them are lower stats then that's fine too.

but perception still matters, and admission standards (including dreaded premed metrics) play a significant factor in it, like it or not.

I disagree. Tomorrow Wash U at SL could reject the use of the Mcat and Gpa and still select out the best of the best and still be considered one of the best medical school in the country. I mean, it's like saying that HuMmed at Sinai is a poor program because the average gpa is low and they probably would have gotten mcats in the mid 20s.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree. Tomorrow Wash U at SL could reject the use of the Mcat and Gpa and still select out the best of the best and still be considered one of the best medical school in the country. I mean, it's like saying that HuMmed at Sinai is a poor program because the average gpa is low and they probably would have gotten mcats in the mid 20s.
well why do people (including from your school) have to brag about how much higher their averages are today than in previous years, and act like it is a great thing, but then turn around and make light of those same premed metrics like in your later post. That seems contradictory to me...

well why do people (including from your school) have to brag about how much higher their averages are today than in previous years, and act like it is a great thing, but then turn around and make light of those same premed metrics like in your later post. That seems contradictory to me...

Because our class is 70% male and men like measuring contests....

On a more serious note, I think it's because we do like to pat ourselves on the back for catching a slice of the precieved best and greatest crowd. That being said KCU accepts plenty of students with scores that are low. KCU has a strong sense of sorting students in that they want because they fit the mindset and personality of the class as well.

higher averages will help improve the perception of programs. The rigor/quality non-MD medical schools are inherently regarded with some level of doubt by outsiders- and getting admission standards more MD-like would help mitigate this. Achieving this even while losing some students who might have done well is still worthwhile.

There are already a few DO schools whose accepted students have stats comparable to lower tier MD schools, but I do not see DO schools becoming as competitive as MD schools. Especially considering the rapid expansion of newer schools which is happening at a much faster rate than the increase in MD schools and seats.

The way COCA thinks, they are clearly more about quantity over quality, DO schools located in areas which are saturated with MD schools, mostly large metro US cities tend to have problems getting their students quality clinical education.

Because our class is 70% male and men like measuring contests....

On a more serious note, I think it's because we do like to pat ourselves on the back for catching a slice of the precieved best and greatest crowd. That being said KCU accepts plenty of students with scores that are low. KCU has a strong sense of sorting students in that they want because they fit the mindset and personality of the class as well.
what would you think of having DO schools use the same application service as MD schools (like TCOM), but somehow still keeping grade replacement? competitiveness to all DO schools would soar, but I would only support it if grade replacement remained.

what would you think of having DO schools use the same application service as MD schools (like TCOM), but somehow still keeping grade replacement? competitiveness to all DO schools would soar, but I would only support it if grade replacement remained.

If DO schools began to use the same application service than I think they would drop grade replacement, which would make them more competitive to get admission, but then I do not see this happening in the near or even distant future. I think the AOA likes it this way, because its too profitable for them.

I believe that the ideal is to have the system change to only counting pre-req grades and the last 60 credits. To penalize freshman for not knowing they want to go to medical school is not only asinine it is a mockery of human growth.

I think both systems unnecessarily burden the student with unnecessary challenges. With Grade replacement you're forced to spend money to retake courses that you have passed instead of focusing on upper levels and graduating. With the MD side you're just plain out screwed and are expected to find a method of regaining competitiveness ( I.e M.S, SMP, etc).

Reactions: 2 users
I believe that the ideal is to have the system change to only counting pre-req grades and the last 60 credits. To penalize freshman for not knowing they want to go to medical school is not only asinine it is a mockery of human growth.

I think both systems unnecessarily burden the student with unnecessary challenges. With Grade replacement you're forced to spend money to retake courses that you have passed instead of focusing on upper levels and graduating. With the MD side you're just plain out screwed and are expected to find a method of regaining competitiveness ( I.e M.S, SMP, etc).
60 credits of upward trend likely already makes someone competitive for DO (even with a low GPA). DO schools seem much more welcoming of different types of credential-rehab, whether from upward trends, grade replacements, post bacs, or grad work. This is something that really distinguishes DO admissions, and it is something I hope does not change.

Reactions: 1 users
Except the San Francisco one.....
Touro already struggles big time with rotation spots. Also, with the opening of CA Northstate, they lost all their rotation spots with Dignity Health. It would be a huge mistake to go ahead with this Alliant International thing.

I hate how hospitals begrudgingly take DO students and then just jump ship as soon as a DO school opens up nearby.

I hate how hospitals begrudgingly take DO students and then just jump ship as soon as a DO school opens up nearby.

I don't think it's a begrudging relationship. I believe that simply put another school makes them a better offer and connection.

I don't think it's a begrudging relationship. I believe that simply put another school makes them a better offer and connection.

I wonder how much a DO school would have to pay to make a large, academically-unafilliated community hospital their own for rotation and residency purposes. Not necessarily buy the hospital, but to have a strong enough agreement with them that they could have their students complete most of their rotations at said hospital and open up multiple residencies at said hospital.

I wonder how much a DO school would have to pay to make a large, academically-unafilliated community hospital their own for rotation and residency purposes. Not necessarily buy the hospital, but to have a strong enough agreement with them that they could have their students complete most of their rotations at said hospital and open up multiple residencies at said hospital.

Well, I believe there are some successful case studies in East Coast DO schools. LECOM has transformed the Ogden Medical Center in Elmira, New York. Since their affiliation with LECOM, they take about 40 students for 12 month OMSIII rotations and have started many residency/fellowship programs, including Cardiology and Dermatology. How much did LECOM pay? I don't know the exact number because I am not a LECOM administrator but, historically, LECOM is very (how can I say this in a PC way....) cheap and wouldn't be surprised that it was mostly lots of elbow grease and fancy power point presentations to convince hospital administrators to expand their educational opportunities.

Another example that comes to mind is Touro-Middleton's work at the (brand new) Orange Regional Medical Center. ORMC has ~300 beds and currently has 3 residency programs in Psych, FamilyMed, and EmrgMed. They are planning on expanding them with a surgical residency program starting soon. I don't believe Touro payed for anything.

Compare LECOM/Ogden with Carribean MD schools that pay NYC hospitals MILLIONS of dollars for rotation spots

They didn't include Minnesota College of Osteopathic Medicine on the list...

http://www.startribune.com/osteopat...-to-heal-minnesota-doctor-shortage/330790931/

There will be 50 osteopathic medical schools by 2025....there are 40 already...

Minnesota- opens 2018
Louisiana- opens 2020
Wisconsin opens 2018
Arkansas-opens in 2016
San Antonio- opens 2017

ALABAMA

ACOM *
Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
445 Health Sciences Blvd.
Dothan, AL 36303
(334) 699-2266
*Provisional Accreditation

VCOM - Auburn Campus
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine-Auburn Campus
910 S. Donahue Drive
Auburn, AL 36832
(334) 844-1928
†VCOM-Auburn is a branch campus of VCOM-Virginia

ARIZONA

MWU/AZCOM
Midwestern University/
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine
19555 N. 59th Ave.
Glendale, AZ 85308
(623) 572-3300 or (888) 247-9277

ATSU-SOMA

A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona
5850 E. Still Circle
Mesa, AZ 85206
(480) 219-6000

CALIFORNIATUCOM
Touro University California, College of Osteopathic Medicine
1310 Club Dr.
Vallejo, CA 94592
(707) 638-5200
†TUCOM has a branch campus in Nevada– TUNCOM

WesternU/COMP
Western University of Health Sciences
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific-Northwest
309 E. 2nd St./College Plaza
Pomona, CA 91766-1854
(909) 623-6116
†Western U/COMP has an additional location in Lebanon, Oregon

COLORADO

RVUCOM
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine
8401 Chambers Road
Parker, CO 80134
(303) 373-2008

FLORIDA

LECOM-Bradenton
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine-Bradenton
5000 Lakewood Ranch Blvd.
Bradenton, FL 34211-4909
(941) 756-0690
†LECOM-Bradenton is a branch campus of LECOM

NSU-COM
Nova Southeastern University
College of Osteopathic Medicine
3200 S. University Drive
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33328
(954) 262-1400 or (800) 356-0026

GEORGIA

GA-PCOM
Georgia Campus-Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
625 Old Peachtree Road
Suwanee, GA 30024
(678) 225-7500
†GA–PCOM is a branch campus of PCOM

ILLINOIS

MWU/CCOM
Midwestern University/Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
555 31st St.
Downers Grove, IL 60515
(630) 969-4400 or (800) 458-6253

INDIANA

MU-COM *
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
3200 Cold Spring Rd.
Indianapolis, IN 46222-1960
(317) 955-6000

IOWA

DMU-COM
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
3200 Grand Ave.
Des Moines, IA 50312-4198
(515) 271-1400 or 1450

KENTUCKY

UP-KYCOM

University of Pikeville-Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine
147 Sycamore St.
Pikeville, KY 41501-1194
(606) 218-5400

MAINE

UNECOM
University of New England
11 Hills Beach Rd.
Biddeford, ME 04005
(800) 477-4863 or (207) 283-0171

MICHIGAN

MSUCOM
Michigan State University
965 Fee Road, Room A309
East Lansing, MI 48824
(517) 355-9616 or 7740
†MSUCOM has additional locations in Macomb and Detroit

MSUCOM-DMC
Detroit Medical Center
4707 Saint Antoine St.
Detroit, MI 48201
(517) 884-9601
†MSUCOM-DMC is an additional location of MSUCOM

MSUCOM-MUC
Macomb University Center
44575 Garfield Rd.
Clinton Twp., MI 48038
(586) 263-6731
†MSUCOM-MUC is an additional location of MSUCOM

MISSISSIPPI

WCUCOM
William Carey University
College of Osteopathic Medicine498 Tuscan Ave., WCU #207
Hattiesburg, MS 39401
(601) 318-6610

MISSOURI

ATSU-KCOM
A. T. Still University -
Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
800 W. Jefferson
Kirksville, MO 63501
(660) 626-2286

MISSOURI (continued)

KCU-COM
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
1750 Independence Ave.
Kansas City, MO 64106
(800) 234-4847 or (816) 283-2000
†KCU-COM has an additional location in Joplin, Missouri, which will begin offering instruction in 2017-18

NEVADA

TUNCOM
Touro University Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine
874 American Pacific
Henderson, NV 89014
(702) 777-8687
†TUNCOM is a branch campus of TUCOM

NEW JERSEY

RowanSOM
Rowan University
School of Osteopathic Medicine
Academic Center
One Medical Center Drive
Stratford, NJ 08084
(856) 566-6000

NEW MEXICO

BCOM *
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine
3655 Research Drive, Genesis Building C
Las Cruces, NM 88003
(575) 647-2266
*Provisional Accreditation, will begin offering instruction in 2016-17

NEW YORK

NYITCOM
New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine
Northern Blvd.
P.O. Box 8000
Old Westbury, NY 11568-8000
(516) 686-3747

TouroCOM-Harlem
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine
230 W. 125th St.
New York, NY 10027
(646) 981-4500
†TouroCOM has an additional location in Middletown, NY

NORTH CAROLINA

CUSOM *
Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine
P.O. Box 4280
Buies Creek, NC 27506
(855) 287-6613, ext. 1770

OHIO

OU-HCOM
Ohio University Heritage College
of Osteopathic Medicine at Athens
1 Ohio University
Grosvenor, Irvine Halls
Athens, OH 45701
(800) 345-1560 or (740) 593-2500
†OU-HCOM has additional locations in Dublin, Ohio and Cleveland

OKLAHOMA

OSU-COM
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
1111 W. 17th St.
Tulsa, OK 74107
(800) 799-1972

OREGON

WesternU/COMP-Northwest
Western University of Health Sciences
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific-Northwest
200 Mullins Dr.
Lebanon, OR 97355
(541) 259-0200
†Western U/COMP has an additional location in Pomona, Calif.

PENNSYLVANIA

LECOM
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
1858 W. Grandview Blvd.
Erie, PA 16509-1025
(814) 866-6641
†LECOM has a branch campus in Florida: LECOM-Bradenton
†LECOM also has an additional location at Seton Hill University

LECOM-Seton Hill†
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Seton Hill
20 Seton Hill Drive
Greensburg, PA 15601
(724) 552-2880
† LECOM-Seton Hill is an additional location of LECOM

PCOM
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
4170 City Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19131-1610
(800) 999-6998 or (215) 871-6100
†PCOM has a branch campus in Georgia: GA-PCOM

SOUTH CAROLINA

VCOM - Carolinas Campus
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine-Carolinas Campus
350 Howard St.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864) 398-5000
†VCOM-Carolinas is a branch campus of VCOM-Virginia

TENNESSEE

LMU-DCOM
Lincoln Memorial University-DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
6965 Cumberland Gap Parkway
Harrogate, TN 37752
(800) 325-0900 or (423) 869-7082

TEXAS

UNTHSC/TCOM
University of North Texas Health Science Center Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
3500 Camp Bowie Blvd.
Fort Worth, TX 76107-2644
(817) 735-2200 or 2205

VIRGINIA

LUCOM*
Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Center for Medical and Health Sciences
306 Liberty View Lane
Lynchburg, VA 24502
*Provisional accreditation.

VCOM-Virginia Campus
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Virginia Campus
2265 Kraft Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24060
(540) 231-4000
†VCOM -Virginia has two branch campuses, VCOM-Carolinas in Spartanburg, South Carolina; and VCOM-Auburn in Auburn, Alabama.

WASHINGTON

PNWU-COM
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences,
111 University Parkway, Suite 202
Yakima, WA 98901
(509) 452-5100

WEST VIRGINIA

WVSOM
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
400 N. Lee St.
Lewisburg, WV 24901
(304) 647-6270 or 6373

Last edited:

That is the way DO schools are, compared to MD schools that often have their own tertiary teaching hospitals, DO schools rely upon local hospitals to train their students, so when a new DO school opens up in a local area it often creates competition in the school's home turf, this is similar to how Subway runs its franchise business, Subway often opens up franchises among different owners right next to another regardless if a new store cannibalizes another store's business.

Not all MD schools have their own teaching hospitals, but most of them do in fact have them and upper tier DO schools have teaching hospitals to train their students as well.

WTF??!?! I live in San Francisco and I have NEVER heard of Alliant International. Touro-CA already has a horrible time with rotation spots where half the students travel to central CA to finish OMSIII. Where is this school going to find rotation spots? Is this a joke?
I live in SF and have heard of it. It's basically the equivalent of the Caribbean for people that want to become psychologists.

I live in SF and have heard of it. It's basically the equivalent of the Caribbean for people that want to become psychologists.

Most DO schools that are affiliated with a university tend to be affiliated with a third or fourth tier university, you never see a top tier university opening a DO school.

Most DO schools that are affiliated with a university tend to be affiliated with a third or fourth tier university, you never see a top tier university opening a DO school.
I agree, but hopefully those universities can make their way out of the shadows like NOVA is currently doing. Having a medical school definitely helps with that.

Alliant or Argosy can be loosely called universities. CUSOM has a 3rd rate, but albeit active in the community university. UIW will be similar.

Alliant or Argosy can be loosely called universities. CUSOM has a 3rd rate, but albeit active in the community university. UIW will be similar.

I would honestly like to see more DO schools affiliated with large state schools.

I agree, but hopefully those universities can make their way out of the shadows like NOVA is currently doing. Having a medical school definitely helps with that.

NOVA is a pretty big and relatively well known university. It's arguably closer to being one of the 5 state DO schools than it is to a stand alone up start. I'd argue that it's probably up there if not better than either my school or some of the other first 5.

I would honestly like to see more DO schools affiliated with large state schools.

And I'd like for my DO schools and others that have half a worth invested in their students futures to abandon COCA and get LCME accreditation as the notion of being compared to some of these start ups is insulting.

And I'd like for my DO schools and others that have half a worth invested in their students futures to abandon COCA and get LCME accreditation as the notion of being compared to some of these start ups is insulting.
I am curious what a school like yours would need to do to gain LCME accreditation. You have compared your school to Commonwealth, but for one, it is only around 1/3 of your school's class size.

I am curious what a school like yours would need to do to gain LCME accreditation. You have compared your school to Commonwealth, but for one, it is only around 1/3 of your school's class size.

Probably more money. The biggest thing if not the only thing for most established DO schools is that they need to get more money so that they can make themselves more or less independent from tuition. I think the best way for that is to either get funding from the state in the form of grants for research or through social and community health. My school is doing a decent job at building both. Though we should also be doing a bit more to build up our clinical as well. I think largely one day we will have DO schools transition to LCME and when that happens it will likely happen through state medical boards putting their money into them.

NOVA is a pretty big and relatively well known university. It's arguably closer to being one of the 5 state DO schools than it is to a stand alone up start. I'd argue that it's probably up there if not better than either my school or some of the other first 5.
But that's the point. NOVA was very unknown in the past (est 60s) and having a DO program (est. 90s) helped establish them more. I wouldn't go as far as saying they are "relatively well known." Perhaps they are in Florida (ranks 7th in-state), but they are not nationally recognized.

But that's the point. NOVA was very unknown in the past (est 60s) and having a DO program (est. 90s) helped establish them more. I wouldn't go as far as saying they are "relatively well known." Perhaps they are in Florida (ranks 7th in-state), but they are not nationally recognized.

That's exactly what I'd call relatively well known tbh lol. People who need to know and locals know of the schools existence. This is in contrast to say, Campbell, which I'd call relatively unknown, i.e locals know it but few others including people probably 50 miles outside the school.

I mean, I don't really think it's them having a DO program tbh. I think it's in general them being a big undergrad school with a good strong graduate arm that they developed through it all. I mean as a whole the DO school at NOVA could have been converted to an MD program. And honestly, having a DO program and then having an MD program along with it is a slap in the face of the students.

That's exactly what I'd call relatively well known tbh lol. People who need to know and locals know of the schools existence. This is in contrast to say, Campbell, which I'd call relatively unknown, i.e locals know it but few others including people probably 50 miles outside the school.

I mean, I don't really think it's them having a DO program tbh. I think it's in general them being a big undergrad school with a good strong graduate arm that they developed through it all. I mean as a whole the DO school at NOVA could have been converted to an MD program. And honestly, having a DO program and then having an MD program along with it is a slap in the face of the students.
I'm not saying it's just them having a DO program, but having a medical school in general contributes to the school growing and having alumni with pockets that can feed them. Hopefully other DO programs will help build reputations of schools.

I'm not saying it's just them having a DO program, but having a medical school in general contributes to the school growing and having alumni with pockets that can feed them. Hopefully other DO programs will help build reputations of schools.

Alumni contributions are laughable at my school. They'll already have taken enough of my money by the time I graduate, I'm not about to EVER give them another dime once I'm out of here. Opening a new branch in Joplin only reinforces their motivation ($$$) in running this school. Increasing class sizes in KC and opening of a new branch and they have the nerve to dress their actions up as providing primary care docs for underserved/rural communities? Give me a break. The city of Joplin and Mercy Health have agreed to basically hand them the keys of a hospital and learning space for free (to the tune of multiple millions of $$). No way they turn down free money and the opportunity to bulk their bottom line. Forget trying to expand clinical educational opportunities at teaching hospitals for current and future students at the main campus... Let's actually get rid of some of those spots and shove students into preceptor based teaching for clinicals so that we don't have to pay the preceptors and pocket the difference! It's absurd that KCU has been in existence for almost 100 years and very few people in KC even know that our school exists. /rant.

Edit:
Free Joplin Money!!!!
http://president.kcumb.edu/2015/04/kcu-joplin-campus-to-open-in-2017.html

How do they expect to offer any semblance of a good clinical education if they're going to add another 150 students to the mix when they are already scrambling to find spots for us as it is.... Ridiculous.

Last edited:
Alumni contributions are laughable at my school. They'll already have taken enough of my money by the time I graduate, I'm not about to EVER give them another dime once I'm out of here. Opening a new branch in Joplin only reinforces their motivation ($$$) in running this school. Increasing class sizes in KC and opening of a new branch and they have the nerve to dress their actions up as providing primary care docs for underserved/rural communities? Give me a break. The city of Joplin and Mercy Health have agreed to basically hand them the keys of a hospital and learning space for free (to the tune of multiple millions of $$). No way they turn down free money and the opportunity to bulk their bottom line. Forget trying to expand clinical educational opportunities at teaching hospitals for current and future students at the main campus... Let's actually get rid of some of those spots and shove students into preceptor based teaching for clinicals so that we don't have to pay the preceptors and pocket the difference! It's absurd that KCU has been in existence for almost 100 years and very few people in KC even know that our school exists. /rant.

Edit:
Free Joplin Money!!!!
http://president.kcumb.edu/2015/04/kcu-joplin-campus-to-open-in-2017.html

How do they expect to offer any semblance of a good clinical education if they're going to add another 150 students to the mix when they are already scrambling to find spots for us as it is.... Ridiculous.

Right, I'm pretty sure the whole rotation business right now is a complete mess at KCU. That being said it seems like the Florida Hospitals are really undesired and yet really good rotations, so I think at the very least I'll potentially have a backup to the whole situation.

Can anyone answer why OSU would open a DO school instead of an MD? Seriously wondering.

Can anyone answer why OSU would open a DO school instead of an MD? Seriously wondering.

If OSU is building a school, I support it 100%, I like the idea of secular public universities opening Osteopathic medical schools, it moves us forward as a profession versus schools such as RVU.

which OSU are you referring to? OSU-COM in Tulsa has been around for awhile...

My understanding was the MD and DO school expansion is due to the need, intense shortage and maldistribution of physicians in the US. Once we have enough schools and physicians the expansion will stop.

The new schools are creating residency positions, BCOM has created over a 100 already, CUSOM has also created tens of positions.

Why is everyone forgetting the physician shortage/maldistribution crisis we have?

The merger has been and will be huge for DOs in terms of parity.

Too much doomsday, freaking out here guys.

Please contact COCA, AOA, etc. directly and talk it out if you truly care

Reactions: 1 users
My understanding was the MD and DO school expansion is due to the need, intense shortage and maldistribution of physicians in the US. Once we have enough schools and physicians the expansion will stop.

The new schools are creating residency positions, BCOM has created over a 100 already, CUSOM has also created tens of positions.

Why is everyone forgetting the physician shortage/maldistribution crisis we have?

There are drawbacks like in any negotiations, but I completely agree with the bolded part.

Last edited:

Well its good to hear that schools like CUSOM and BCOM are doing this, not just opening up new schools that will have more graduates competing for relatively stagnant residencies.

@Dustbowl12

If that is the case, then they are going about it the wrong way. There were always IMGs that filled in the gap. The only difference now is that MDs and DOs will be filling that gap instead. It won't change the shortage or the maldistribution.

This is a smart move amongst the school that have opened more recently. However, there are schools like KYCOM or LMU that are mainly preceptor based. This doesn't help students get ready for residency.

How is the merger solving this? Inadequate DO residencies are shutting down (rightfully so) and thus decreasing the amount of doctors coming out (even though residencies are being created slowly year by year).

It will become a huge plus in the working world and I think fellowship. However, DO students pay the price trying to get into residency.

Yep, your right. The amount of DOs matching into ACGME residencies have been increasing so it is not all gloom and doom.

People have done this in the past, and their cries not heeded.

Last edited: