COCA Meeting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meliora27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe COCA will punish NSU for opening an MD school by denying their class size increase. I could think of a million ways that could backfire though.

Maybe COCA will punish NSU for opening an MD school by denying their class size increase. I could think of a million ways that could backfire though.
It wouldn't make any sense. With a governing body out to get them, NSU would probably put even more resources into the allopathic school to avoid the headache of asking the COCA for anything.

Reactions: 1 user
It's getting to the point that every time they meet i'm afraid they'll get the bright idea to open another school.
antitrust law requires organizations like COCA to say yes to any applicant that meets requirements. If they do not, they can be sued.

antitrust law requires organizations like COCA to say yes to any applicant that meets requirements. If they do not, they can be sued.

Yeah, but there has got to be room within the written accreditation requirements for a stricter interpretation. As long as they apply it evenly to all applicants I would think they'd be fine.

I will be really disappointed if NYIT gets approved for that additional location in ARKANSAS.

Shame on you NYIT, and any other DO school who's trying to increase revenue by building satellite schools in an entirely different state, making the entire profession look like National University's big brother.

Reactions: 3 users
hopefully these expansions don't get out of hand. I wouldn't the DO profession to have the pharmacy saturation in 20 year

Fun fact: when DO schools open up satellite campuses, they don't need to go through the same accreditation process as a "new" medical school, as long as they keep the same name as an existing school.

Thats how you end up with a philadelphia COM in Georgia, a lake erie COM in florida, and a New York COM in Arkansas.

Fun fact: when DO schools open up satellite campuses, they don't need to go through the same accreditation process as a "new" medical school, as long as they keep the same name as an existing school.

Thats how you end up with a philadelphia COM in Georgia, a lake erie COM in florida, and a New York COM in Arkansas.

Is that in the COCA handbook online? Can you show me?

Yup. This is why it's easier to open up a satellite rather than an entirely new school.

DMU is the only original 5 school that hasn't opened one up yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
hopefully these expansions don't get out of hand. I wouldn't the DO profession to have the pharmacy saturation in 20 year
More US MD schools have opened up since 2006 than US DO schools. While I don't agree with the rapid expansion (or the uberly dumb names of schools), the common SDN mantra of blaming DO schools solely for the rapid expansion is mind-boggling.

More US MD schools have opened up since 2006 than US DO schools. While I don't agree with the rapid expansion (or the uberly dumb names of schools), the common SDN mantra of blaming DO schools solely for the rapid expansion is mind-boggling.
I'm actually attending a do school so by no means am I bashing dos. I was just commenting on how fast they are expanding. I do understand it's not just osteopathic schools it's also allopathic schools. I fear that this expansion of both types of schools will water down the quality of doctors. With the ever more expanding amount of seats, schools will start admitting applicants that are unqualified.

but generally, they are substantially better (though not perfectly) planned, funded, and resourced than the DO schools. That counts for something...

I'm actually attending a do school so by no means am I bashing dos. I was just commenting on how fast they are expanding. I do understand it's not just osteopathic schools it's also allopathic schools. I fear that this expansion of both types of schools will water down the quality of doctors. With the ever more expanding amount of seats, schools will start admitting applicants that are unqualified.
How's that? Our country doesn't even fill our own residencies with our own citizens...

If your metric for determing doctor quality is mcat and gpa then fear not, as both increase for DO and MD every single year.

but generally, they are substantially better (though not perfectly) planned, funded, and resourced than the DO schools. That counts for something...
Fair counterpoint.

How's that? Our country doesn't even fill our own residencies with our own citizens...

If your metric for determing doctor quality is mcat and gpa then fear not, as both increase for DO and MD every single year.
I'm not going to start talk about Caribbean's schools but I think a large majority of Caribbean graduates are US citizens but I could be wrong. And the residencies That don't get filled are usually the ones that aren't highly competitive like primary care or psych.

I'm not going to start talk about Caribbean's schools but I think a large majority of Caribbean graduates are US citizens but I could be wrong. And the residencies That don't get filled are usually the ones that aren't highly competitive like primary care or psych.

Even so, I believe only ~2800 US-IMGs attain residency annually and another ~3600 positions go to non-US citizen IMGs. Anyway, I think his point is that there is no reason to believe that the quality of students will be diluted, because, as he mentioned, for (1) stats for both US MD and DO matriculants have only gone up for the past 5 years or more (if anything med students are more "qualified" now than before), and (2) there are >6000 US residency positions annually that go to foreign grads, so filling more of those positions with US grads instead of foreign grads isn't really diluting to the profession.

My main fear with expansion is two-fold: 1) residency slot competition among US grads will only get tougher, which honestly might be fine, until 2) US grads exceed residency spots. Now assuming COCA will follow its recent ruling that DO schools must demonstrate a 98% minimum GME placement rate for its graduates to maintain accreditation, that really shouldn't be a problem. This is all assuming schools will be responsible and not do some weird maneuvering to dismiss students in late 4th year who can't secure GME positions, but that seems highly illegal (but who knows, schools have a ton of power).

100% correct, and there are at least 7-10 new MD schools waiting in the wings, including, of all places, the US Virgin Islands! I think I'll apply for a Faculty job there.

100% correct, and there are at least 7-10 new MD schools waiting in the wings, including, of all places, the US Virgin Islands! I think I'll apply for a Faculty job there.
They're offering crazy loot to relocate experienced faculty to the new children's hospital in the Middle East. If my kids were older, I'd give serious consideration to a "deployment" there for 3-4 years. It would pay for my ocean front house and more.

No...I think I'll skip the Middle East. Something in the hummus makes people crazy there.

They're offering crazy loot to relocate experienced faculty to the new children's hospital in the Middle East. If my kids were older, I'd give serious consideration to a "deployment" there for 3-4 years. It would pay for my ocean front house and more.

Reactions: 1 users