Cochrane Collaboration on anesthesia clinicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Euripides

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Research" can't tell a difference. ASA and AANA web pages of course spin it 180 degrees from each other.

Members don't see this ad.

we have ourselves a troll. As far as I can tell there hasn't actually been any reasonably objective research. Just a bunch of retrospective crap that is a shining example of selection bias.

selection bias- area codes with the highest volume of sunscreen sales also have the highest incidence of melanoma. According to the AANA sunscreen must cause melanoma.

put docs solo in rural hospitals doing the bread and butter while shipping out anything that requires higher than brainstem function and I'd imagine they will have perfect outcomes near 100% of the time.

we have ourselves a troll. As far as I can tell there hasn't actually been any reasonably objective research. Just a bunch of retrospective crap that is a shining example of selection bias.

selection bias- area codes with the highest volume of sunscreen sales also have the highest incidence of melanoma. According to the AANA sunscreen must cause melanoma.

put docs solo in rural hospitals doing the bread and butter while shipping out anything that requires higher than brainstem function and I'd imagine they will have perfect outcomes near 100% of the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Troll? Pretty funny. I thought that my putting the word Research in quotes was indicative that I found the whole article a waste of time with no validity.

The article doesn't say there is equivalence, it says based on the low quality evidence no conclusion can be drawn. Big difference.

Reactions: 1 user
The article doesn't say there is equivalence, it says based on the low quality evidence no conclusion can be drawn. Big difference.

Agreed. However, one can't tell that from reading either the ASA or AANA statements. That was supposed to be the funny part.

Agreed. However, one can't tell that from reading either the ASA or AANA statements. That was supposed to be the funny part.

Okay, I'll bite.

What exactly is your point?

Last edited:

Well I guess I have a two part answer. First, there was the point I thought I was making (that I personally found the responses from ASA and AANA humorous since the Cochrane Collaboration essentially says there isn't any valid data). Second, there is the point I guess I did make which is that I'm the only one who thought both responses were hyperbolic. It is clearly not as funny as I thought and I'm sorry I wasted the bandwidth.

Just seeing this thread-- I get your point Euripides-- wow-- pretty amazing how both groups completely twisted the results of the systematic review, which was basically that there is no decent evidence one way or the other period-- this is the perfect example of a "we need more research" systematic review, in contrast to a systematic review where there is enough quality data to do a meta-analysis and make a conclusion about the equivalence, inferiority or superiority of an intervention. The article's not a waste of time-- they performed a thorough, well-thought out systematic review and followed the rigorous methodology of the Cochrane Collaboration. They appropriately conclude that the current data is useless, and well-designed research is needed to definitively answer the question.

Pretty sad how obviously off the ASA and AANA titles are in their responses.

The first problem is people put WAY too much emphasis/meaning into meta analysis. Secondly, you can't mine Medicare data sets and come up with anything granular.

in many countries outside the US we call ours anaesthetists - not anesthesiologists.
there are no nurses delivering anaesthesia here -- so anaesthetist = anesthesiologist.