Cochrane review on scs debunked

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lobelsteve

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 4 users
The complete and total beating of a behind is found at that link. Dad got home from work and took his belt off IMO.

Screenshot_20230419_122358_Word.jpg

Pro Wrestling Cartoon GIF by Looney Tunes

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
good review.

good also that the reviewers had no real conflict of interest.

i am still skeptical about using SCS for chronic low back pain. that definition is too broad and undefined.

i would hazard that none of us - okay, maybe only 1 or 2 of us - would recommend SCS for someone with nonspecific chronic low back pain.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
good review.

good also that the reviewers had no real conflict of interest.

i am still skeptical about using SCS for chronic low back pain. that definition is too broad and undefined.

i would hazard that none of us - okay, maybe only 1 or 2 of us - would recommend SCS for someone with nonspecific chronic low back pain.
I've said that for awhile now. Many disagree with me and most pain physicians do as well.

Do any of you do/see good results with stim for back pain after fusion? I don’t do much stim but I was speaking with a doc who swears by it. Wondering if it’s just because he doesn’t see the failures in follow-up (lots of PAs) or if there is actually something to what he is telling me.

Do any of you do/see good results with stim for back pain after fusion? I don’t do much stim but I was speaking with a doc who swears by it. Wondering if it’s just because he doesn’t see the failures in follow-up (lots of PAs) or if there is actually something to what he is telling me.
It works occasionally if you're honest.

I’m sure it has a lot to do with PAs. Same thing with fusion happy surgeons and lots of PAs.

Despite the “promises” of HF10, burst, etc, I rarely see patients with low back pain superior to the belt line who have long term benefit from SCS.

There a few rare exceptions. After educating patients without other options who want to try SCS, I will offer a full 7 day trial. I only implant if they have a home run trial of clearly 80% relief. Those with home run trial results tend (not always) to be the rare axial LBP exceptions who benefit long term from a dorsal column stimulator.

If after a stim trial for axial LBP superior to the belt line, the patient reports only 50-70% relief, we stop right there because those patients always fail the implant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It suck’s mostly and the companies get rich..