Code phrases in Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZimmS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After applying to 25 allopathic schools this cycle, I received one interview invitation and was ultimately accepted to the program (whew!). I am absolutely thrilled that I'll have the opportunity to become a physician. That said, I recently came across some information which might offer a partial explanation for why I received relatively few interview invites. The following article is probably well-known on SDN, but perhaps more so in the allopathic forums:

"A Program Director's Guide to the Medical Student Performance Evaluation (Former Dean's Letter) With a Database"
http://www.jacr.org/article/S1546-1440(13)00767-9/abstract

One of my recommenders was kind enough to send me a copy of her letter (after having submitted it to AMCAS), and now months later I realize it contains a particular phrase which also happens to describe roughly the bottom quintile of medical students at that particular school (according to the supplementary materials from the above article). Granted, the code used in MSPEs is for evaluating medical students, but it doesn't seem at all a stretch to imagine that similar wording would be used in recommendations for medical school applicants. My GPA and MCAT were both at the 90th percentile of last year's accepted applicants for the school that did take an interest in me.

At this point, I'm trying to figure out what the likelihood is that I am in fact reading this situation correctly, and my recommender wrote me a "bad" letter. There are plenty of other possibilities. It's particularly troublesome because I still work in this person's lab and interact with her on a near daily basis.

Members don't see this ad.

OP: I wouldn't read too far into it, there are so many factors that there's not a good way to know unless it's glaringly obvious, but you're accepted and you should be proud of your accomplishment!

Also on a somewhat related note, I predict that this article will be the next thing people freak out about at least once per week in preallo from now until the next MCAT change.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I think there is a big difference between the Medical Student Performance Evaluation from a medical school and someone writing you a personal letter of recommendation. The medical school will want to promote all of its students so it may make sense to use terms like "excellent" when talking about the bottom half of their class. I doubt that personal letter writers will have a code sheet that accompanies their letter that tells how many letter of rec they've written and how often they use the term "excellent" vs. "exceptional" vs. "outstanding" or whatever. I sure helps when they write a statement in their letter in how you compare to other students they have taught/mentored.

Reactions: 1 user