Collecting extracted teeth before school starts??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hajin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I an dingus for thinking that the ridiculous tuition I pay, means I shouldn't have to go on extracted tooth treasure hunts? I'm really not the entitled type, I swear... But this is annoying. And the school won't give me any details either. Just some vague "collect as many as possible" BS.

For other people who have done this, can you offer any details? How many jars did you distribute to how many dentists? Also, how long did you wait before you came back to collect them? I've been travelling so I only have a week or so to get this done. Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds ridiculous, wow. You'd expect them to have a network of dentists or whatever that would help them with tooth collection.

I'm still going to declare you a dingus tho, because I enjoy the word thoroughly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I an dingus for thinking that the ridiculous tuition I pay, means I shouldn't have to go on extracted tooth treasure hunts? I'm really not the entitled type, I swear... But this is annoying. And the school won't give me any details either. Just some vague "collect as many as possible" BS.

For other people who have done this, can you offer any details? How many jars did you distribute to how many dentists? Also, how long did you wait before you came back to collect them? I've been travelling so I only have a week or so to get this done. Any help is appreciated.
I think 3-4 jars should be sufficient, spread out between general and oral surgery? My coworkers from the dental office used to come back once every 3-4 months. When they were busy, they'd stop by once every 6 months. You leave a copy of the MSDS for the chemical you use with your name and any directions your school may have provided.

Some students use 10% bleach, and others use a 10% formalin mixture. I'm guessing there will be other storage preferences out there depending on the school as well.

For most of us, it's still a learning process. If anyone else can chime in, that'd be good too because I'm curious as well.

Do all schools require this??
It seems like the majority of them do. If your school happens to have a Facebook page and the admissions office hasn't sent any packages detailing the information, I'd highly recommend checking there first since the groups tend include D2-D4.

Yeah it's kind of bull**** and it's annoying but I think we all have to do it right?