College senior with 3.7 gpa and 32 MCAT URM chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

currentlypremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I need help choosing a school list! I go to a prestigious University with a 3.7 gpa having strong upward trends. I started my freshman year with a 3.0 but got 3.9's my sophomore and junior year and picked up my gpa to a 3.7. My science gpa is a 3.68 and it has been picked up from the 3.2 cgpa from my freshman year.
My MCAT score is 32 12-6-14
I got a 6 on verbal and it kind of worries me! I am ESL so I hope that can help me a little :( .

> I have 200 hours of shadowing and volunteer work in hospitals
> Participated in the Summer Medical and Dental Education program (SMDEP) for minorities at Duke
> I have 200 hours of research from my institution
> Recipient for a prestigious scholarship at my school for African Americans
> Volunteered as teacher's assistant at high school for 3 years
> First generation college student/ESL

What schools should I be looking at?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you think?

Black+3.7+32 means you have a ~94.6% chance of getting into medical school according to https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/2013factstable25-2.pdf
Factor in the prestigious university and research, and you're golden.

So obviously some top schools + your in-state schools + a few that you have an interest in. We all know what top 20 schools are. But without knowing you or your state how can someone make a list for you? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
What group do you represent?

Even if you were ORM, chances are really good, but the 6VR could hurt in some places.

Im African American and I am originally from Washington DC. I want to apply to some top schools but the 6 in verbal can be a huge turnoff for some schools so I am reluctant. Especially because admissions is so expensive.

I think the URM status will trump the VR6. Start with the HBCs, and both DC schools, and then work outward. Aim for low-mid tier schools. A reach or two can't hurt if finances allow.

Reactions: 1 user