college sophomore-what schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

photobiotic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a 15 year old college sophomore...planning to major in biology with a minor in math and possibly art.
I've taken almost all of the pre-med courses (currently pulling A's in Organic II and Calc II).
My "Pre-med grades" are:
Bio I, II: A's
Chem I, II: B, B- D:
Physics I: B+ (average 89.9, does your average count for anything?)
Calculus I: A
Organic I: A-
Overall GPA: 3.7 (will hopefully be up to a 3.85 before I graduate)

I'm also retaking Physics I (and taking II) over the summer at either Harvard's Summer School or Penn's summer school.

In school activities:
Dorm Steering Committee rep (basically a sort of mediation person that resolves conflicts and rule-breaking)
Biology I & II TA
Chem Research: Effect of Bacteria on Industrial Sludge (or something, this hasn't been finalized yet), and the effect of estrogen on freshwater fish in central Virginia.

Aside from that, I've spent a month of my summer working with Indian doctors in an "observational study", observing their daily lives in the hospital, attending 2 AM surgeries (the rules are a bit more lax in India, and the surgeon was my aunt), working with the doctors in slums and leprosy centers, etc. I'm planning to do it again the summer after junior year, except I will probably have more formalized "research". In addition, I've worked 8 hour days volunteering at both a doctors' office (shadowing and scut work) and a business office.

What types of schools should I start thinking about applying to? I'd really like to go to Penn or Harvard, but I doubt my grades are high enough. Also, if I do really well on the MCAT in chemistry, will my B- in Chem II be a slightly less "evil"?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can't generate a school list until you have a ballpark figure of what your MCAT score will be from a bunch of practice tests. You will apply to very different schools if you get a 27, vs a 32, vs a 37 or higher. There's no reason you can't get a copy of the MSAR from your school's advising office and start to dream, though.

Unless you plan to apply to med school in India, you need US-based clinical patient experience and US-based clinical environment experience, and US-based physican shadowing, in addition to what you've mentioned. It wasn't clear to me where the doctor's office volunteering occurred. Also, it is preferred that you have regular clinical experience (like every week) rather than intense hours all done in the summer, though if you do this many years in a row, you might get by. I am not saying your experiences in India are worthless, but they need to be supplemented. International experience is the frosting on the cake, not the main meal, so to speak.

Your B- in Chem and B+ in Physics (I'm not sure why you're retaking) are acceptable, particularly if you get enough As in science and math to keep your overall BCPM high.

Besides the above activities, since you will be younger, by far, than typical when you apply, you need your application to reek of maturity. One accomplishes this by taking on responsibilitiy and leadership roles. The dorm steering committee is a good start, but you need to do more. Also, nonmedical community service is highly desirable. Why not pick out some local community organization that really means something to you, start in the trenches and work your way up to a leadership role in fund raising and community event organization? Top school aim to train future leaders in medicine, not the smartest people they can find.

If you aspire to a top, highly-selective school, it will be very important for you to have some years of substantive research experience. Publications mean a lot.

Do NOT retake Physics I. Waste of your time.

I agree with Catalystik's remarks regarding your application needing to reek of maturity. While GPA and MCAT scores are important, many schools are interested in knowing that the applicant is mature and knows what they are getting into, that they are worldly and well-rounded, that they have interests outside of medicine. Honestly, it is hard to accomplish this at your age because most teenagers lack this experience (this is why many medical schools are getting rid of or revamping their combined undergrad/MD programs). Your young age will probably make it more difficult than not to get into many programs. Probably the best thing you can do is to display your maturity as the previous response suggests or find other ways to demonstrate your worldliness and maturity.

-senior medical student / admissions committee interviewer