College Undergrad Psychology Major/ ROTC Cadet. Lots of questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sjrlax69

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and am looking forward to getting information from members who have first hand knowledge. I am currently in my second year of college and majoring psychology. I am also in my first semester of ROTC (army) non-contracted. I would love to pursue a career in psychology, mainly counseling. I see the army as a great oppertunity to both get a job that pays reletivley well, while also providing me the satisfaction of helping soldiers in need. My questions are, what is/are the most effective ways of becoming an army psychologist...or atleast an officer job involved with counseling? Second anyone on here who has served in the army medical department, can you please explain whether you would recomend the job or not and why. I have a million more questions I would like to ask, but I will leave it to these for now. I really look forward to any and all information you guys share. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump, really no one on here has any information? Pretty dissapointing

Bump, really no one on here has any information? Pretty dissapointing

If you search the forum, there is lots of information regarding ROTC but mostly with respect to going to medical school. Psychology falls outside of the medical school/residency/fellowship pipeline and hence less interest/knowledge on programs.

The Army I believe does offer HPSP for PsyD's. You would need an educational delay to pursue additional training. I have not seen any LCSWs on active duty, so that would not be a big possibility.

You are welcome to PM me and I can explain HPSP for clinical psychology for the Army. You also may want to post your questions:in this forum (there are some military there too)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=57

This is tongue in cheek but very true:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZaLipDgFZQ