Colleges/Universities that have both medical and pharmacy schools beware of rejected medical applications forwarded to pharmacy schools to entice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueangel12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if anyone has written about this or experienced this. From a couple of medical/dental school hopefuls I know. I am writing this to send awareness to any medical/dental school hopefuls who got rejected in their application process and were recommended for pharmacy. A lot of universities/colleges that have both a medical/dental and pharmacy school. Applicants who have been rejected for medical/dental school will have their applications forwarded to the pharmacy school to fill seats because of the decreased enrollment with the oversaturated pharmacy job field. Also the stressful metrics you will be put under. They will say they are sorry that you were rejected for medical/dental school and how much you aspire to be in healthcare. That there is another opportunity for healthcare in pursuing pharmacy as a bit of a consolation prize. It is an insult to injury to lure rejected medical/dental applicants into a oversaturated and shrinking pharmacy job market. Please be careful and not fall for it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep there have been threads about this. I think there was even one from a physical therapist reject who was accepted to pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep there have been threads about this. I think there was even one from a physical therapist reject who was accepted to pharmacy.
Wow, I did not that know PT was being lured into that realm as well. I know that LECOM ( I am sure there are plenty of other colleges/universities as well) even though they are not a superb school altogether with their medical/dental programs. A good chunk of their pharmacy classes are medical/dental rejects especially ones who did their master's program with them in hopes of improving their chances shelling out ~30K, got rejected, and were forwarded to the pharmacy school to take on 100K+. Talk about the ultimate insult to injury.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I did not that know PT was being lured into that realm as well. I know that LECOM ( I am sure there are plenty of other colleges/universities as well) even though they are not a superb school altogether with their medical/dental programs. A good chunk of their pharmacy classes are medical/dental rejects especially ones who did their master's program with them in hopes of improving their chances shelling out ~30K, got rejected, and were forwarded to the pharmacy school to take on 100K+. Talk about the ultimate insult to injury.

It makes sense from a business perspective. If there is high demand for medical/dental then you can't accept every student. Instead of losing $200k per year, why not fill an empty seat in the pharmacy class which they are desperate to fill?

this just shows how far our profession is falling and keeps falling......

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
A guy I know applied to dental school at my University and was rejected, but he was able to secure a last minute spot in the pharmacy school.

• Wow
A guy I know applied to dental school at my University and was rejected, but he was able to secure a last minute spot in the pharmacy school.
send him my condolances

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I went to LECOM and I did not find this to be the case. Of course these ppl might not wanted to volunteer the information. LECOM is amazing value for a pharmacy school and I highly recommend going to their Erie school if you are value consciences.

One thing LECOM did do to me was when I applied to their Erie pharm they said I got into their FL pharm which is longer and more expensive. I had other options as I was accepted to U. of Saint Joseph and Roosevelt University in Chicago so I refused and then they later accepted me into their Erie campus.

No question it is a revenue-generating scheme. To pay for the staff for them to have jobs and support their families, etc. Of course, not everyone can be providers or everyone being rich CEOs. It is just when someone has been heartbroken after being rejected, they are desperate for anything and being preyed upon to settle. First applying, getting rejected, suggested to do a master's program, upon finishing the master's program, still rejected and offered pharmacy. A lot of the rejected hopefuls spent so much time shadowing or working for providers they have no experience in pharmacy and not knowing the job market/environment situation. They jump into it when presented with the offer of a so-called "last-minute" pharmacy admission with little time to do proper research to avoid taking a/another gap year to try again for their original plans and have no idea what to expect or hope to expect something similar as a provider in their experiences.

Last edited:
I went to LECOM and I did not find this to be the case. Of course these ppl might not wanted to volunteer the information. LECOM is amazing value for a pharmacy school and I highly recommend going to their Erie school if you are value consciences.

One thing LECOM did do to me was when I applied to their Erie pharm they said I got into their FL pharm which is longer and more expensive. I had other options as I was accepted to U. of Saint Joseph and Roosevelt University in Chicago so I refused and then they later accepted me into their Erie campus.
I was using LECOM as an example, probably plenty of other schools that are similar. More than likely, they were probably waiting until closer to the application cycle close date, saw empty seats then called you back in to fill those seats and especially candidates who might be subpar. The schools know they will either wash out of school altogether or graduate but be unable to pass the board/certification exams to practice.

A lot of the rejected medical/dental hopefuls might be shy to admit settling for pharmacy, that they are happy and found their true calling.

Last edited:

Kinda like scoring a last minute ticket to the Titanic or Hindenburg haha

Reactions: 4 users
I love how schools come up with this, this way no kid falls through the crack lmao.

• Haha