Colorado schools: Regis and CU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the info! Are you currently attending Regis? If so, how do you like the program?
I am a first year at Regis. I absolutely love the program. The faculty is incredible, and it really feels like everyone in the DPT program is family. Cheesy but true. :)

Good luck, candidates!!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck on interviews everyone! Have a positive, presentable and professional weekend :)

Who is interviewing tomorrow morning at 8am? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck on interviews tomorrow everyone! Make sure to ask lots of questions, and breathe!

Check your email! Got my admission offer to CU this morning!

Reactions: 1 users
Check your emails!!! I just got my acceptance email...ahhhhhhhhhhhh!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 1/23, accepted today!

Got my acceptance as well! Anyone know if their scholarship info (10 20k awards) were given out with their acceptance letters or if they will come later?

Got my acceptance as well! Anyone know if their scholarship info (10 20k awards) were given out with their acceptance letters or if they will come later?

I think at the interview they said it would come with the mailed acceptances, but I'm not 100% sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just emailed for Regis. I am on the alternate list. Does anyone know historically if/when the alternate list hears back? What date accepted students need to confirm by?

I was just emailed for Regis. I am on the alternate list. Does anyone know historically if/when the alternate list hears back? What date accepted students need to confirm by?
I'm on the alternate list as well. I emailed Jamie the other day. She said deposits are due 2/18. However, they don't see movement until april, may.

Haven't heared from Regis yet, guessing that means rejection.

And @camiosyz! Hey I just wanted to let you know that I was notified via email about a scholarship yesterday. And they said more info will be in the mailed packet.

And @camiosyz! Hey I just wanted to let you know that I was notified via email about a scholarship yesterday. And they said more info will be in the mailed packet.

Yup, so was I! You thinking of accepting? With the scholarship offer it brings Regis up pretty substantially on my list of options.

Yup, so was I! You thinking of accepting? With the scholarship offer it brings Regis up pretty substantially on my list of options.

Yay congrats @andacl! If I'm being completely honest, no. My mind and heart is set at a different school but still trying to figure out finances on all ends. BUT the amount of that scholarship in relation to the cost of attendance is very good! Whoever gets my place and scholarship if I decline should/will be a HAPPY camper!!

Accepted to Regis, and that is where I'll go. But no scholarship offer (slightly hopeful seeing that two with scholarship offers may decline acceptance). Now I'm trying to figure out their marijuana policies, haha.

@echotaco I'm not sure they are the most lenient when it comes to weed. They state there's a drug test to be admitted into the program so I'll bet they are strict. As a CO resident I've heard too many horror stories about people not getting into school when they should have just because of something related to marijuana. Or that could be fearmongering, so I don't know. Regardless, you'll love it here in sunny CO! It's currently 70 degrees and sunny.

@echotaco I'm not sure they are the most lenient when it comes to weed. They state there's a drug test to be admitted into the program so I'll bet they are strict. As a CO resident I've heard too many horror stories about people not getting into school when they should have just because of something related to marijuana. Or that could be fearmongering, so I don't know. Regardless, you'll love it here in sunny CO! It's currently 70 degrees and sunny.
I think it's pretty silly that health professional schools are strict against marijuana use, especially in states that legalized it, when medical research shows that weed is much safer than alcohol. Coming from California, where weed is pretty much legal, I have experienced being around stoners and I would much prefer their company than drunk people. I can understand if business or law schools would prohibit it, but I would think a health professional school would permit it.

I believe 50 years from now, people are going to laugh when they discover that marijuana was illegal at one point...as well as a Schedule I drug lol

Accepted to Regis, and that is where I'll go. But no scholarship offer (slightly hopeful seeing that two with scholarship offers may decline acceptance). Now I'm trying to figure out their marijuana policies, haha.
I'll be attending Regis as well! I'm not sure what their policy is specific to marijuana, but I assume they still test for it regardless of our state legislation.

I'll be attending Regis as well! I'm not sure what their policy is specific to marijuana, but I assume they still test for it regardless of our state legislation.
I'm a current Regis student. You are correct - marijuana is not allowed. Drug tests are required annually, and "as needed" (i.e. - if they suspect you've been using drugs). Here's a link to the class of 2016 student handbook (which also can be found on the Regis PT website) - I believe the entire drug policy is in there somewhere...

Still haven't recieved a response from Regis, I know that probably means a rejection. Just wondering if anyone has received a rejection yet?

Still haven't recieved a response from Regis, I know that probably means a rejection. Just wondering if anyone has received a rejection yet?

I was on the interview waitlist and got this email on 2/5. I'm assuming that you're rejected if you haven't heard anything, but you can also call admissions.

Thank you for applying to Regis University’s Doctor of Physical Therapy program. We appreciate your patience as a candidate on our interview wait list. At this time, we have completed the interview process, and the faculty has selected our Class of 2018. The selection process is based on the applicant pool for each year. As you know, this year, we received over 1,200 applications, and thus had an exceptionally competitive applicant pool.

If you wish to reapply for the class starting in Fall 2016, we welcome you to do so. Applications will be available starting in July. And thank you again for applying to Regis University.

I will be available to discuss your application and provide feedback on potential areas of improvement anytime after April 1st. We wish you the best of luck in your future applications.

Jamie Kitzman
Assistant Director of Admissions | Regis University
3333 Regis Blvd G-9 | Denver, CO 80221 | 303.458.4927

The deposit to reserve your spot in the class is due on the 18th, so I'm not sure I'd give up completely yet. I'm declining my offer since I'm going to CU, so there may be more spaces opening up!

The deposit to reserve your spot in the class is due on the 18th, so I'm not sure I'd give up completely yet. I'm declining my offer since I'm going to CU, so there may be more spaces opening up!

Yea from looking on threads there seems to be a lot of people declining there spot at Regis.

Regis has expanded their class size to 80, so I expect there will be a lot more shuffling around of the waitlist. Also, I talked to a current student at my interview day, and he said he was taken off the waitlist and offered acceptance with one other person. He said the main reason he got in was because he was in contact with Jamie for the duration of the period between being waitlisted and offered acceptance, being tenacious and also letting her know how much he REALLY wanted to be in the program. He told me he believed that his earnestness and his insistence is what got him in ahead of other waitlisters. After he was in, Jamie told him that the only 2 people who actually were in constant contact with her got into the program. So, if you're super duper wanting to go to Regis and you've been put on the waitlist, that's one way to get ahead!

Yes, @DPTstudent4444. Don't give up. I'm also declining my spot along with a $20K scholarship so both will be up for grabs! Keep hope alive! :)

What if you have a prescription for marijuana?

Not attending Regis, but thought I'd chime in as a former Colorado resident. Marijuana and THC derived substances are not FDA approved medications, and are still not legal federally. Businesses and schools still have the right to fire or dismiss you for failing their drug tests. Even if you have a prescription. (And lets be real. You can go into any "clinic" with cash and come out with a script.)

Even if it was legal, I would not want any health care professional treating me while they are high (whether from weed, or abuse of other Rx drugs).

Being the research nerd that I am, I'm hoping that the legalization in certain states will result in higher quality research. Cause I'm all about that (evidence) base.

Edited to add: Even if Regis did allow it, you can bet that your clinical sites will not.

I have scoured this site and there is very little out there for people who live in CO and have applied or want to apply to the Colorado PT schools.

So, who out there has applied to Regis or CU? I am pretty excited that the deadline for CU apps is tomorrow. It means that we are one step closer to knowing...something.

I was told CU had 6,000 applicants this last cycle :(

Not attending Regis, but thought I'd chime in as a former Colorado resident. Marijuana and THC derived substances are not FDA approved medications, and are still not legal federally. Businesses and schools still have the right to fire or dismiss you for failing their drug tests. Even if you have a prescription. (And lets be real. You can go into any "clinic" with cash and come out with a script.)

Even if it was legal, I would not want any health care professional treating me while they are high (whether from weed, or abuse of other Rx drugs).

Being the research nerd that I am, I'm hoping that the legalization in certain states will result in higher quality research. Cause I'm all about that (evidence) base.

Edited to add: Even if Regis did allow it, you can bet that your clinical sites will not.
I wouldn't want a health care professional treating me drunk either...
I didn't mean while treating a patient, but doing it in a responsible way. Just like if a doctor is prescribed xanax, you have to trust that he's not abusing it or getting high off it before treating patients. And if he is and messes up, he should be fired. Same concept should apply to prescription marijuana.

Good points about it being easy to obtain a prescription, even if certain medical conditions really do benefit from using it (multiple sclerosis, glaucoma, etc) But it's actually easy to get a prescription for Rx pills too whether it's benzos, pain killers, or amphetamines. So I fail to see your point regarding this. I've had friends in college get prescribed ADD medications and benzos and those drugs have a much higher potential of abuse compared to weed. And you can die from benzo withdrawals or have a heart attack from too much adderrall. You can't OD off weed.

Yeah I get that marijuana is still in that gray area even if current research shows how safe it is compared to alcohol and prescription drugs. Just curious about how a prescription is treated. Although, I'm pretty sure in California, you can sue the company if they fire you.

And I don't personally want to do marijuana in school, but I think it's stupid how it's illegal to use it recreationally or with a prescription when attending health school. Yet, it's cool if I'm an alcoholic who abuses xanax and pain killers as long as I have a prescription.

But yeah... Government knows best;)

Last edited:
Hi regis waitlisters! Turning down my spot as well. Good luck!

I'm starting a separate thread for the CU class of 2017. Hope to connect with some future classmates!

Rejected my spot and $20K scholarship at Regis. Congrats to the next lucky student to receive the spot and/or scholarship! Good luck everyone :)

I just received a postcard from a current student at Regis reaching out to answer questions about the program. I am on the alternate list so I hope this is a good sign!

I got the same postcard yesterday and I declined 3 weeks ago. So who knows what they're up to.

I just received a postcard from a current student at Regis reaching out to answer questions about the program. I am on the alternate list so I hope this is a good sign!
Not to burst your bubble, but I think everyone that interviewed received a postcard.

Rejected my spot and $20K scholarship at Regis. Congrats to the next lucky student to receive the spot and/or scholarship! Good luck everyone :)
Which school or schools are you looking at instead of Regis?

@southernutah24 University of Southern California and George Washington University are my final two to decide between! How's your search going?

As a note on the waitlist, I am a current Regis student and was taken off the waitlist last year. I think I was in the first wave or two to get pulled off, and I was notified in May. Don't freak out if you dont hear anything, there were people pulled off as late as the week before classes start. If this is where you really want to go, stay in touch with Jamie.