Columbia Secondary - Convert Verbal to 15?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Centinel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm filling out the Columbia application which I assume is their secondary. In it, it asks for your MCAT score, but it has a specific request:

"If your verbal score is between 13 and 15 please enter 15 in the space provided."

Are other people seeing this, too, or did I find some old legacy pre-AMCAS Columbia app?

Members don't see this ad.

That's what it says when I look at it too. However, I think that it might be referring to scores prior to April 2003 when the highest verbal score was "13-15." After April 2003, the scores of 14 and 15 were reinstituted.

I'm going to assume that they mean what they say. Perhaps they're not in favor of the verbal 13, 14, and 15 scores, and preferred the days of the '13-15'. Perhaps it's just easier for them to compare us to their previous classes this way.

Anyway, laxgirl, thanks for proving to me that I'm not just seeing things.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if u got a 13+ in verbal, columbia is telling you basically "we're gonna invite your for an interview."

drinklord said:
I'm going to assume that they mean what they say. Perhaps they're not in favor of the verbal 13, 14, and 15 scores, and preferred the days of the '13-15'. Perhaps it's just easier for them to compare us to their previous classes this way.

You might very well be correct. I didn't spend too much time thinking about it since this is not something that I really have to think about... :p I am sure if you have a verbal score between 13 and 15, you're probably in a very good position.

Maybe they just want their averages to look higher so they make you enter it as 15. Either way, you probably have a top score if you are in a position to assume a 15 on the Verbal and get a secondary from Columbia.

drinklord,
did they mail you the secondary or is it from their website?

pistachio said:
drinklord,
did they mail you the secondary or is it from their website?

Pistachio,

They have the secondary up on their website (my AMCAS isn't even verified yet :rolleyes: ). Here's the link: Columbia's Secondary Application

Drink Lord

drinklord said:

Knowing the history of the verbal section, I wouldn't assume! Worst case you'll either look like you're clueless about the way verbal used to be scored or know, but are trying to take advantage to give yourself two points on the MCAT.

I'm going to email them and ask. Although I wouldn't mind listing 15 either :laugh:

MoosePilot said:
Knowing the history of the verbal section, I wouldn't assume! Worst case you'll either look like you're clueless about the way verbal used to be scored or know, but are trying to take advantage to give yourself two points on the MCAT.

I'm going to email them and ask. Although I wouldn't mind listing 15 either :laugh:

It'd be great if you'd post their response in this thread when you get it, MoosePilot.