Columbia Teachers (MA) vs. Fordham (MSE)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

austinite1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recent acceptance into the Columbia Teachers (M.ED in Psych Counseling) and Fordham University (MSE in Mental Health Counseling). I also got into the MAC program at St. Edward's University in Austin. Any advice on which program is superior? I know these programs aren't that competitive, but with my current lack of research publication, I thought that going for my masters first and then pursuing a PsyD was the best idea. I am currently an RA at a lab at the University of Texas but the chances of getting my name on anything are low.

So my questions are:
Should I wait, and apply later to a PsyD/PhD program (I am interested in being a practioner not a researcher) and secondly:

Which program is the best?

**keep in mind I have received a scholarship from Teachers and have not heard back from the other two schools about aid..

Members don't see this ad.

private masters then psyd will run you about $200-300k. How large was the scholarship from TC? You don't need a master's to be competitive for psyd or phd programs. If you know you want a doctorate, don't do a master's and definitely don't pay $80k for it. If money is no object, sounds like a good plan, and I'd go with TC just for the name. There are equally good programs in NYC that don't cost a fortune.

The scholarship from TC isn't huge, about $16,000 a year. Yeah I know. I'm definitley grappling with re-applying again only to PhD programs that I know will provide funding...then again I'm not sure that 5-7 years of school right now is such a great idea. I wouldn't mind getting licensed in the meantime and working for a couple of years.

Thanks!