Columbia, UCLA, or UCSF?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalschoolconfusion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know lots of this has been discussed before, but I've been getting lost in all the threads, the trolls, etc. I've been having a hard time deciding where to go and I'm hoping you guys can help.

I am from the Bay Area and want to go into ortho or omfs. I also plan on practicing in California.

Columbia:
pros: NY, 95% specialization rate, private, externship opportunities, no problem with chairs or requirements, h/p/f, not a competitive atmosphere, everyone is very friendly and happy, nice facilities, ivy, very nice interview, they seem like they really want you when you go for an interview

Cons: cost (80k more over four years), weather, claimed to be too academic

Extra: medical school integration (don't know if pro or con)

UCLA:
Pros: in state, 80k cheaper than Columbia, Westwood is nice, undergrad school and school spirit (good football team), pretty high specialization rate (although it's much less than Columbia, but I think that has to do with the number of students who want to specialize from la compared to Columbia, so this may not be relevant), location, weather!, proximity, nearby clinics, oms track, everyone speaks very highly of it on forums, 15k scholarship

Cons: I heard that they have problems getting enough patients and fulfilling requirements, although I haven't heard of anyone not graduating in time because of it (so also maybe irrelevant), diluted reputation for layman, not enough money (public school problems), facilities old, not many externships, don't seem like they really want you when you come for the interview (interviewer tough, not much excitement compared to Columbia interview)

UCSF:
Pros: same as UCLA except higher med school reputation and reputation for layman, sf is great city, proximity, potentially higher patient pool than UCLA but still problems

Cons: same as UCLA, except I heard many professors/researchers leaving for some reason, making lots of cuts due to budget problems, I think UCLA has a better rep as a dental school, lower specialization rates (much lower than UCLA from what I've heard)

If you guys disagree with any info I brought to the table, let me know!

Where do you guys think I should go? I'm very confused and need to put in the deposit in the next few days.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't mean to come off too strong, but it seems like you haven't done too much individual thinking regarding this decision. But since it's your first post....3 great schools. 3 high specialization rates. all 3 have some combination of H/P/F (based on that, you only have cons listed for Columbia).
paying for it with loans? go to the cheapest...aka stay in cali (UCLA is the least expensive)
you want cali weather? stay in cali
you want to practice in cali? stay in cali

Still leaves you with the only question YOU can answer, which school do YOU feel like you fit best at? G/L

Like the others have said, it's really a personal call at this point - all three are excellent schools and I would argue that neither of the three will give you a better/worse chance of specializing. It all depends on what you want out of the school. For me personally, I chose UCLA because it's so close to home, but if I were you and lived in the bay area I would very likely have chosen UCSF instead. You really can't go wrong with any of the three - good luck !