Columbia vs NYEE vs UMDNJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcard786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please advice on raking these programs. Both NYEE and UMDNJ have great surgical volume. Columbia has a big name and great research. I can't decide what order these programs should go on my rank list.

Members don't see this ad.

nyee is generally regarded as the best program in NY but Columbia has a great namesake and retina program. UMDNJ is also a good progrom. If you want to do academics I would go Columbia->NYEE->UMDNJ. If not academics I would go NYEEI->Columbia->UMDNJ

For location, I would have to go NYEE>Columbia>UMDNJ. I would probably rank them the same way for "prestige", with Columbia only slightly "behind". All 3 of those programs are great though.

nyee is generally regarded as the best program in NY but Columbia has a great namesake and retina program. UMDNJ is also a good progrom. If you want to do academics I would go Columbia->NYEE->UMDNJ. If not academics I would go NYEEI->Columbia->UMDNJ

I would agree with this. The one thing I would add is that Columbia may have slipped a bit since Chang stepped down as chairman. Several senior faculty members also left but it is still a highly regarded program.