Combine FM/IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOGETA

SuperSaiyan
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello

1- How many combine programs for FM/IM are nation wide?
2- Are they very competitive?
3- What is the benefit of also doing the IM part?
4- Can you take the IM boards after that?
5- Can you go to IM specialty?
6- Will you get paid more?

Members don't see this ad.

hello

1- How many combine programs for FM/IM are nation wide?
2- Are they very competitive?
3- What is the benefit of also doing the IM part?
4- Can you take the IM boards after that?
5- Can you go to IM specialty?
6- Will you get paid more?

There are five programs: http://www.abim.org/cert/comfp.shtm

They're probably about as competitive as FM or IM in general.

I considered a combined program when I was in medical school. The only real advantages that I could see were, a) the option to do an IM specialty, if so desired, and b) more inpatient experience.

You're board-eligible in both FM and IM upon completing residency.

You can apply to IM fellowships, just like any other IM residency graduate.

Pay depends on the job. I don't know of anyone paying a premium for dual-boarded internists/FPs.

thank you for the answers very nice from you.
thank you again

I'm not sure where to find this answer. I know it may not be available on these boards, but I'm hoping someone can at least point me in the right direction to start looking for it.

I'm a second-year in a very good family practice residency. I have no intention of leaving my program except by graduation, however, I'm becoming less happy with FP as my choice (could just be it's been one of those months) and I'd really like to look into non-FP career options.

Any idea if it's possible, as a third year, to apply to any of these combined FM/IM programs and be accepted to attend there as a fourth year? I'd like to get IM board certified by the least painful way, if that's possible, so that I have subspecialty fellowships as an option. I was interested in onc as a 4th year, but ignored that since I was gung-ho FP all the way. I'd like to have it be possible to pursue onc in the future, now, before mortgage and family make it harder to go back and do more residency.