Combined Derm/IM Residency. Questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thenewguy123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new here. Very interested in applying to Dermatology and Internal Medicine combined residency. There are not a lot of spots in the United States. I was wondering if anyone has been through this process and if I could speak to them about what would be an appropriate path moving forward.

I am currently an MS3 at a top 20 medical school and would appreciate any feedback.

My questions:

How competitive is it?
Is it realistic? How do you dual apply? Derm and Derm/IM or IM and Derm/IM?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I'm new here. Very interested in applying to Dermatology and Internal Medicine combined residency. There are not a lot of spots in the United States. I was wondering if anyone has been through this process and if I could speak to them about what would be an appropriate path moving forward.

I am currently an MS3 at a top 20 medical school and would appreciate any feedback.

My questions:

How competitive is it?
Is it realistic? How do you dual apply? Derm and Derm/IM or IM and Derm/IM?

Thank you.

Derm/IM is just as competitive as derm. There are specific derm/IM programs that you will need to apply to.

Members don't see this ad :)
So Penn offers a position every year, but according the the pre-soap and final match data, they did not match anyone. Spots have been decreasing over the past several years. LSU closed their program down and Wisconsin did too either last year or the year before. The BID spot was also removed from the match in the past 2 years.

The combined programs are roughly as competitive as derm, but understandably, a lot of people don't see the extra year in IM as time well spent. Some programs will ask you if you want to be ranked for med/derm or derm specifically (ie you can't be on both lists) and some programs will allow you to be ranked on both. If you are offered an interview, most of the med/derm programs are 2 day interviews. You interview like a derm applicant on one day, and a categorical IM applicant the next. You WILL be asked why you want to do med/derm specifically, what your future plans are, and how you learned about the program.

Some programs require 2 IM letters and 2 derm letters, including chair's letters from both departments. Just be aware of that when asking for letters.

Understand that each program is very unique in regards to application, structure, what they are looking for in potential residents, and competitiveness.

Hope this helps!

Hey thenewguy- I don't usually post on sdn, but I applied to derm and med-derm this year and was thrilled to have matched to a med-derm program! I'm happy to be PM'ed any specific questions if you apply.

As for general info, I met a few applicants who applied to IM + med-derm, but the majority applied to derm + med-derm. That decision is obviously very personal and people have been successful with both approaches. I think more apply derm + med-derm partially (and unfortunately) because some people view med-derm as a way to increase their chances of matching into derm. However, if you're serious about med-derm, make sure to write a personal statement that reflects such. Finally, according to the AAMC/ERAS data (https://www.aamc.org/download/321558/data/factstable38.pdf), roughly 93 people applied to med-derm this year. The small number of spots makes it a competitive pool, but if you're very committed it is certainly doable!

What are the reasons for doing derm+IM instead of just derm? Is it more out of intellectual interest?

Several students who I talked to that matched into derm said that they were actually considering IM at one point. What are the similarities between the two fields that would lead someone to consider both? If you considered both at one point, why did you decide on derm?

What are the reasons for doing derm+IM instead of just derm? Is it more out of intellectual interest?

Several students who I talked to that matched into derm said that they were actually considering IM at one point. What are the similarities between the two fields that would lead someone to consider both? If you considered both at one point, why did you decide on derm?

First, dermatology may be a separate residency, but it really is part of internal medicine. Derm has tremendous overlap with A/I, heme/onc, med genetics, and rheumatology. In my case, I was heavily considering IM and rheum or heme/onc. I picked derm because it allows me to dip into all of these fields, I like the fast pace, I prefer clinic to the inpatient service, and I can see complex cases without having to go through a soul-crushing three year medicine residency.

I interviewed for derm-only at several programs that have or have had med-derm spots, and based on my interactions with faculty and current residents, there are two groups of people who do med-derm. The first do med-derm because they want an academic derm spot where a big part of their job will be doing inpatient consults. The second group wants to do med-derm because they want to manage complex diseases like cutaneous lymphoma, bullous diseases, and connective tissue disorders.

IMHO, you do not need an extra year-and-a-half of training to feel comfortable doing either path, but I can understand how extra IM training will make someone feel more comfortable doing inpatient consults. I do not, however, understand why one would need extra IM training to feel comfortable managing complex derm cases. What one does need is to train at a program that offers derm-only residents exposure to complex derm cases and management with complex therapies (all biologics, thalidomide, dapsone, chlorambucil, targretin, PUVA, photopheresis, etc). The weird thing is that the programs that offer med-derm programs (Penn, Harvard, Northwestern, University of Minnesota, and, until recently, University of Wisconsin) are all very large derm programs with major hospitals and affiliated med schools that are in the top 30 for NIH funding. Therefore, even derm-only residents at these programs should have extensive exposure to complex cases and management.

One last thing: at my interviews, I was amazed by how many faculty members were willing to state behind closed-doors that they thought their department's med-derm spots were unnecessary.

Reactions: 1 users