Combined/Integrated Clinical Counseling Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psycho1391

Clinical Psychology Ph.D.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently looking at schools that I may be interested in applying to next year and found the University of South Alabama in my search. They have a combined-integrated clinical and counseling psychology program. It seems interesting, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with these types of programs.

Members don't see this ad.

University of California, Santa Barbara (dept of education)

erg923, can you tell me more about it? Did you attend University of California, Santa Barbara?

I'm curious because I've always leaned more toward clinical in my interests. In fact, I just graduated with my M.A in clinical psychology. The integrated type of program does interest me because it does weave in aspects of counseling psychology that I'm interested in such as multicultural counseling, group-level intervention, and systems-level advocacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
erg923, can you tell me more about it? Did you attend University of California, Santa Barbara?

I'm curious because I've always leaned more toward clinical in my interests. In fact, I just graduated with my M.A in clinical psychology. The integrated type of program does interest me because it does weave in aspects of counseling psychology that I'm interested in such as multicultural counseling, group-level intervention, and systems-level advocacy.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-school-psychology-ccsp.611650/#post-14999414

This thread may help!

While I get the point of integrating, say, clinical and school psych, I don't really see the point behind integrating clinical and counseling psych into a formal integrated program. There's much more variance within the fields than between them, and they learn the same skills and result in the same license. For example, there are plenty of counseling psych faculty who practice/teach hardcore CBT and research more severe pathology (I even know some counseling psych-trained neuropsychs) and plenty of clinical psych faculty who delve in humanistic and common factors issues and research less severe pathology and general adjustment.