Combined MCAT course and hard self-studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deanthedream17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry but it really depends on your mastery of the material. It seems like you have a solid background so maybe you can get away with ~2 months of studying or so? I don't think you have to worry about preparing early since your classes should be preparing you. Just study for the few months before the test. I think the biggest thing is just to keep yourself motivated and pace so you don't burn out/ quit, so like 5-6 hours a day ? but this is also personal... Avg MCAT for top 30 is around mid thirties and should be attainable if you master the sciences, which are easier to prepare for imo.
I don't think course is necessary; Kaplan is a big rip off seriously. Just buy some ExamKracker books and self study. save money for application and interviews.
If you're confident, you can take in summer months (even July/Aug) after submitting primary; if not, take it by June so you have chance to retake if needed.. GL

Majoring in science and reading a ton of critical newspapers articals for the next 3 years will prepare you. If you want to be a competitive for a top medical school you're going to need EC's, the more unique and interesting the better. If you can get 10 hours a week of EC's for the next 3 years, manage a a 3.8+ gpa, and 35+ MCAT you'll be set.

Ok reading lots of newspaper articles could help but not all of us are that determined to read. And if you're not interested in the news, it's a waste of time. Just do lots of practice and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
You shouldn't be doing ECs to enhance application... you should be doing them because you want to. If you're doing them for application, I feel like it will show and they would basically be a waste...
For the prep, I don't think you have to follow the 3month thing to the letter... ppl have been sucessful with much less studying and ppl have failed with more, it's all on you.
For the class, I feel like the tricks are really gained through doing the problems yourself. And Kaplan Qs are only good for telling you which concepts to study. Their Qs are NOT real MCAT Qs. Use the real AAMC tests to gauge your progress/level; but then I never did Kaplan mock tests although I've heard their Qs do not 'feel' the same. And Examcrackers verbal is very good. I speak from experience.

If you want it enough, you will get it. The MCAT is not a particularly "hard" test compared to all the cramming you'll do in actual med school.

I'm not sure how reading newspaper articles is helpful outside of increasing your vocabulary and exposing yourself to rather bland non-fiction prose. I'd rather have questions to analyze my reading comprehension performance afterward. Everybody knows how to read, but how can a person who did not understand assess themselves of their performance in comprehension?