Coming back to CA for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1008720

Hey all,

I'm a CA resident and I've been accepted to an established MD school on the east coast (Wake Forest) as well as a new CA MD school (CUSM.)

I'm really leaning toward Wake Forest - I really like the city, the faculty, the fact that it's more established, everything about it.

My only fear is that if I leave CA, it'll be harder to come back for residency. Does choosing an out-of-state MD school make it a lot harder to return for residency? Does anyone know anything about this? I think that's the main thing holding me back from committing right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally wouldn't go to a new school unless you had a very compelling reason to. Wake Forest is a solid, established school and while far from home, is absolutely a better option than CUSM.

It's definitely possible to get back. It depends on what field you're going into, how competitive you are, and whether you're shooting for top academic (Stanford/UCSF/UCLA/etc) or a community program. Work hard from the beginning and try to be the best student you can be. I realize that you'll have P/F Step 1 and I have no idea what metrics will be important when you apply in 4-5 years, but you definitely can make it back.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I personally wouldn't go to a new school unless you had a very compelling reason to. Wake Forest is a solid, established school and while far from home, is absolutely a better option than CUSM.

It's definitely possible to get back. It depends on what field you're going into, how competitive you are, and whether you're shooting for top academic (Stanford/UCSF/UCLA/etc) or a community program. Work hard from the beginning and try to be the best student you can be. I realize that you'll have P/F Step 1 and I have no idea what metrics will be important when you apply in 4-5 years, but you definitely can make it back.
Thank you! I was pretty dang sold on Wake Forest, I think I just needed someone to tell me I'm not insane for giving up a CA MD. I'll work hard in hopes of returning to CA! (Or who knows, maybe I'll fall in love with the east coast.)

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, this should help, given your previous response above.

You go where you'll be a happy student. The happiest you can be. Because that will make sure you're grades stay high, your health stays up, and you have a great four years. Look at where you would want to be the most. Dang, flip a coin and whatever you hope you get, that's your answer.

As far as matching back, not impossible; but my message is, you'll be in demand to go anywhere one day. If you want to go back, you got it. Just maybe not in residency. And, it could be a great experience moving away. You seem set.

• Love
You know, this should help, given your previous response above.

You go where you'll be a happy student. The happiest you can be. Because that will make sure you're grades stay high, your health stays up, and you have a great four years. Look at where you would want to be the most. Dang, flip a coin and whatever you hope you get, that's your answer.

As far as matching back, not impossible; but my message is, you'll be in demand to go anywhere one day. If you want to go back, you got it. Just maybe not in residency. And, it could be a great experience moving away. You seem set.
Thank you as well for your encouragement, it really helps me :happy:

Thank you! I was pretty dang sold on Wake Forest, I think I just needed someone to tell me I'm not insane for giving up a CA MD. I'll work hard in hopes of returning to CA! (Or who knows, maybe I'll fall in love with the east coast.)

Yeah anytime! I'm from CA and I just matched back there after going to med school in the Midwest. I came very close actually to staying in the Midwest as I grew to like a lot of aspects of life there, but in the end being closer to family/friends was most important for me. Definitely keep an open mind and you might find yourself liking something unexpected :)

As long as you have the CA home address/connections, you should still have an advantage in trying to match back at CA (vs those with no connects). I think Wake would actually give you better odds given the established name, you just won't see a lot of CA matches on the list due to selection bias.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Learn to enjoy vinegar on your BBQ. This one's obvious.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I think Wake Forest will open more doors for you (in CA or not). CUSM is more like a DO school from what I hear (no in house hospital/residencies), and its slightly sketchy being a for-profit?

I just matched back to an academic center in CA from out East for IM. Was not as difficult as anticipated. Your connections to the state really help get interviews ( I got way more IVs in CA than my friends who applied without any). For smaller specialties I think it will be more tough though from what I have seen.

Good luck and congrats! Work hard.

• Love
I think Wake Forest will open more doors for you (in CA or not). CUSM is more like a DO school from what I hear (no in house hospital/residencies), and its slightly sketchy being a for-profit?

I just matched back to an academic center in CA from out East for IM. Was not as difficult as anticipated. Your connections to the state really help get interviews ( I got way more IVs in CA than my friends who applied without any). For smaller specialties I think it will be more tough though from what I have seen.

Good luck and congrats! Work hard.

CUSM student here, we actually do have an in-house hospital with multiple residency programs! And we are not a for-profit school, you may be thinking of California Northstate. With that said though, I love my school but OP should go wherever he/she will be happiest. Sad to see you go but people really over-hype the whole staying in CA thing, if you want to get an in-demand residency you should go to the program with the best reputation, not just one that's in-state.

for IM, Wake Forest is definitely more well known. Actually a solid mid-tier program. Never heard of CUSM.

I'm from CA and about to apply to a competitive specialty so we'll see how that goes. Overall, academic CA programs tend to be more competitive so your best bet, as others have mentioned, is to go where you'll be happy and set yourself up with great resources at an established school.

The best way to return to CA is to do aways there, highlight locality as an important factor for yourself when applying (i.e. note your connections to CA), and have notable people write your LORs (important in smaller specialties, much less so for IM/PC/Peds/etc). And who knows, you may not even want to return to CA for residency, but going to Wake Forest certainly won't close that door.

CUSM student here, we actually do have an in-house hospital with multiple residency programs! And we are not a for-profit school, you may be thinking of California Northstate. With that said though, I love my school but OP should go wherever he/she will be happiest. Sad to see you go but people really over-hype the whole staying in CA thing, if you want to get an in-demand residency you should go to the program with the best reputation, not just one that's in-state.

My bad, I definitely was !