Coming Back to North America After Studying Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gizmo66

Reaction score
Hey! I am currently a Canadian vet applicant and I am in the process of deciding where I want to study for veterinary medicine. My two top choices are Penn Vet and the University of Edinburgh, however, I have some concerns about the ability to come back to North America for internship/residency. I know that the degree is fully accredited but I was wondering if anyone else who studied in the UK for vet med could comment on the ability to come back to North America for an internship/residency. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I am currently a Canadian vet applicant and I am in the process of deciding where I want to study for veterinary medicine. My two top choices are Penn Vet and the University of Edinburgh, however, I have some concerns about the ability to come back to North America for internship/residency. I know that the degree is fully accredited but I was wondering if anyone else who studied in the UK for vet med could comment on the ability to come back to North America for an internship/residency. Thank you!
I can just tell you as a student here at WSU we have lots of people from abroad schools doing internships/residencies so it's totally doable. If you have the option though I would definately recommend trying to get into a Canadian vet school if possible even if it means you have to move providences etc and delay a bit-it would be so much more worth it compated to coming to a US vet school. I'm unsure if going to a UK school as a Canadian is different than for US students, but if you have to pay abroad rates I'd encourage you to apply in Canada because it's not worth 200-300K in student loans.

Reactions: 2 users

Why isn't your top choice your (regional) Canadian vet school? Really, the best place to go to vet school is the cheapest (accredited) option, and I think it would be a shame if you didn't take advantage of the subsidized tuition that your resident status will allow you. If you choose to pay more and go to an accredited school in the UK, there are usually a handful of students who want to practice in North America and so will take the NAVLE in their last year. It won't be hard to arrange, and you won't be the only one.

Reactions: 1 user
I can just tell you as a student here at WSU we have lots of people from abroad schools doing internships/residencies so it's totally doable. If you have the option though I would definately recommend trying to get into a Canadian vet school if possible even if it means you have to move providences etc and delay a bit-it would be so much more worth it compated to coming to a US vet school. I'm unsure if going to a UK school as a Canadian is different than for US students, but if you have to pay abroad rates I'd encourage you to apply in Canada because it's not worth 200-300K in student loans.

Why isn't your top choice your (regional) Canadian vet school? Really, the best place to go to vet school is the cheapest (accredited) option, and I think it would be a shame if you didn't take advantage of the subsidized tuition that your resident status will allow you. If you choose to pay more and go to an accredited school in the UK, there are usually a handful of students who want to practice in North America and so will take the NAVLE in their last year. It won't be hard to arrange, and you won't be the only one.

Sorry yes, my actual top choice is Université de Montreal, however, I will only find out by the end of May given that the application process is completely different and so I would need to decide on an international school before I even hear back from my regional school. Additionally, the application process for UdeM is completely different and they only take into account my GPA and a score that I get on an online ethical exam called the CASPer exam, and therefore, I am not really counting on it. I have also considered moving to other provinces to gain residency, however, I would need to live there for a full year before being able to apply which means that I would need to live in the province for at least 2 years to simply have a chance at getting in.