Coming to Jesus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rossatron7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've only really ever lurked on the forums and taken what I will. Now I need to have a "coming to Jesus" moment and I'd appreciate feedback.

First, I am a reapplicant and retook my MCAT for this cycle (this was before I realized schools were still accepting the old scores, but it turned out for the better). Last cycle, I applied late - only MD - and had okay stats. This round, I broadened my scope and applied 10 MD and 9 DO - I want to be a doctor and am less concerned now about the letters behind my name. I sent out my primaries 6/18 after my MCAT retake not knowing how I did. Submitted with 3.64 cGPA and 3.51 sGPA (I think, don't quote me), and an old MCAT of 27 with my new score 1 month out.

New score is 515:soexcited:(130/128/129/128)

Now that I'm deep into secondaries and have heard from about half of the programs on both sides, I'm wondering if I should shift my focus back to MD programs. I will probably finish out at least a few of the DO applications to be safe, but I feel good about this cycle.

Opinions? Advice? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I've only really ever lurked on the forums and taken what I will. Now I need to have a "coming to Jesus" moment and I'd appreciate feedback.

First, I am a reapplicant and retook my MCAT for this cycle (this was before I realized schools were still accepting the old scores, but it turned out for the better). Last cycle, I applied late - only MD - and had okay stats. This round, I broadened my scope and applied 10 MD and 9 DO - I want to be a doctor and am less concerned now about the letters behind my name. I sent out my primaries 6/18 after my MCAT retake not knowing how I did. Submitted with 3.64 cGPA and 3.51 sGPA (I think, don't quote me), and an old MCAT of 27 with my new score 1 month out.

New score is 515:soexcited:(130/128/129/128)

Now that I'm deep into secondaries and have heard from about half of the programs on both sides, I'm wondering if I should shift my focus back to MD programs. I will probably finish out at least a few of the DO applications to be safe, but I feel good about this cycle.

Opinions? Advice? Thanks in advance.

As you said, you don't care about the letters after your name, increase the odds by completing at the DO schools as well, no harm especially if only applying to 19 total schools. If you want it that bad, put in the extra little bit of work.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Which state are you a resident of? What's your school list?

10 MD may be on the low side, depending on where you're from. We need for information to advise.

How much $ are you willing to spend on applications? You could add more MD schools now and if you aren't getting interviews (which I don't think will be an issue) you can add DO later and still be fine for the DO cycle.

Congrats on the new score!

Reactions: 1 user
Shorten your DO list to the top 5 programs you would attend (presumably you would get into one). Then expand your MD list to 15.

Reactions: 2 users
Which state are you a resident of? What's your school list?

10 MD may be on the low side, depending on where you're from. We need for information to advise.

How much $ are you willing to spend on applications? You could add more MD schools now and if you aren't getting interviews (which I don't think will be an issue) you can add DO later and still be fine for the DO cycle.

Congrats on the new score!

Thanks! I'm an Arizona resident. I had been sticking to programs closer to home (as close as possible), so my school list is all West/Southwest at this point:

UACOM - Tucson
UACOM - Phoenix
CUSOM
OHSU
UCLA
UCSD
UNLV
Baylor
New Mexico
Utah

Also, money is a bit tight right now as the only (meager) income with my wife in an accelerated nursing program.

Thanks! I'm an Arizona resident. I had been sticking to programs closer to home (as close as possible), so my school list is all West/Southwest at this point:

UACOM - Tucson
UACOM - Phoenix
CUSOM
OHSU
UCLA
UCSD
UNLV
Baylor
New Mexico
Utah

Also, money is a bit tight right now as the only (meager) income with my wife in an accelerated nursing program.

Unfortunately I don't think your list is very good. You don't really have a chance at any of the highlighted and the rest are all far reaches besides your state schools and UNLV (but this is going to have a small class and is favored to Nevada residents I believe)

What DO schools have you applied to? I would be surprised if you didn't get into AZCOM.

Depends on what your app is like: primary care, underserved populations, research, broad non-clinical volunteering experiences or what?

I can't comment on DO schools, but some of your MD schools are going to be reaches/inefficient for you (UCLA, UCSD, Baylor), especially if you don't have a substantial amount of research experience.

If you have unique experiences and a good amount of clinical experience, then I would try Mayo's new Arizona campus, though your GPA is on their lower spectrum. You'll probably want some schools with MCAT medians slightly below yours just so you have some cushion based on your GPA. Aim for schools that look at the most recent or highest MCAT score.

UACOM - Tucson
UACOM - Phoenix
CUSOM
OHSU
UCLA
UCSD
UNLV
Baylor
New Mexico
Utah

Tempting to sick to school's you've heard of. If they're famous for being really good, not a good plan. You can keep OHSU as a reach

UCLA, is probably not worth it. Hard to get into Cali schools.

Do you have the Oregon DO school on your list?

Unfortunately I don't think your list is very good. You don't really have a chance at any of the highlighted and the rest are all far reaches besides your state schools and UNLV (but this is going to have a small class and is favored to Nevada residents I believe)

What DO schools have you applied to? I would be surprised if you didn't get into AZCOM.

I applied to many of the DO schools from the same states.

Depends on what your app is like: primary care, underserved populations, research, broad non-clinical volunteering experiences or what?

I can't comment on DO schools, but some of your MD schools are going to be reaches/inefficient for you (UCLA, UCSD, Baylor), especially if you don't have a substantial amount of research experience.

If you have unique experiences and a good amount of clinical experience, then I would try Mayo's new Arizona campus, though your GPA is on their lower spectrum. You'll probably want some schools with MCAT medians slightly below yours just so you have some cushion based on your GPA. Aim for schools that look at the most recent or highest MCAT score.

ECs include 2000 hours research, 230+ clinical volunteering, Big Brothers Big Sisters, currently 1000 hours clinical employment, non-clinical employment since it was legal to get a job, teaching/preceptorship, etc.

I'm a little hesitant about the new Mayo campus. I understand it is Mayo, but I don't know how I feel about being an inaugural class.

I knew CUSOM and OHSU were reaching. Also, what do you mean by "inefficient?"

Does anyone have suggestions for MD programs I might be more competitive for?

I applied to many of the DO schools from the same states.

ECs include 2000 hours research, 230+ clinical volunteering, Big Brothers Big Sisters, currently 1000 hours clinical employment, non-clinical employment since it was legal to get a job, teaching/preceptorship, etc.

I'm a little hesitant about the new Mayo campus. I understand it is Mayo, but I don't know how I feel about being an inaugural class.

I knew CUSOM and OHSU were reaching. Also, what do you mean by "inefficient?"

Does anyone have suggestions for MD programs I might be more competitive for?

I think you'll have good options anywhere, EC-wise. Your MCAT is not likely to keep you out of any top schools (depends on their multiple MCAT policy scores). Your GPA won't fit for some schools like Baylor which has 10th percentiles for c/sGPA of 3.7 and 3.6, so again, it's really a combination of MCAT score policy and GPA 10th percentile.

As for Mayo-Arizona, it's inaugural class is held to the same standard as the Minnesota campus and will have the same curriculum. If you're worried about the clinical rotations, I'm not sure if you can do some away rotations at the Mayo Clinic (somebody can correct me if I'm wrong). And if it matters to you, I believe there is no distinction on your degree if you graduate from the Arizona or Minnesota campus.

To clarify on building a school list, you should focus on schools with MCAT medians of 32 - 34 or lower and realistic GPA ranges for you to get in since you're limited on application money. Maybe Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Commonwealth, Tufts, Rochester, Albany, or Miami Miller. You should also try looking at their curriculum and student life pages closely as well, just so you don't waste money on schools that you would never go to anyways. With your ECs, you probably have enough experiences to tailor to any school's mission statement; you just need to find schools with reasonable metrics.