Comlex level 1 2010 experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr1216

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just realized that we haven't gotten one started year (at least I didn't find one with the search). So, for those of you who have taken it already, please share your experiences (subject break down, types of questions, what resources you used and would recommend , additional advice, etc).

Congratulations on being done!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All,

Just took COMLEX the other day. I was primarily studying for the USMLE (will take in two days) and used Kaplan's Q-Bank and COMBANK for combined material. Most of the reports seem accurate. I feel like there was a disproportionate amount of "bugs and drugs". I will say that while I laughed at COMBANK's 1st step reasoning, the real thing wasn't too far off. There were definitely more 2nd-3rd step reasoning questions but certainly not to the n-th degree as on USMLE q-banks. OMM seemed to center around VSM and Ribs stuff for my test. I had very few sacrum questions and they were bizzare. I also seemed to have an uncomfortable amount of cranial questions. There were, in fact, matching sections a'la COMBANK which were either free points or nail biters. I don't remember much psych or behavioral sciences. There were no biostats to speak of. Some strange questions were pulled from the first section of First-Aid (over stuff like physician payments). There were a good portion of clinical-heavy questions which actually had me checking the top of the screen to make sure it didn't say STEP 2. Some of these I was able to answer based off personal experience and others were in-doubt-charlie out. Overall I entered the test knowing I was prepared and left feeling there was nothing else I could have done differently. There were definitely a few WTF's which had me emphatically doing the WTF hands/shoulder shrug at the computer. I suppose it's difficult to condense two years of material evenly across a 400 question test. Either way it's done and after the experience I welcome the USMLE and its well-written questions. :smuggrin:

Thanks for your post. Ok at the expense of sounding like an Idiot, when y'all are saying 'BUGS and Drugs' do you mean ONLY Bacteria and Antibiotics, or does that include Virus/Hemeliths/Fungus and their drugs? I hate viruses, and the charts in FA are so daunting, I can't seem to memorize the structure of these damn things if my life depends on it...

Thanks for your post. Ok at the expense of sounding like an Idiot, when y'all are saying 'BUGS and Drugs' do you mean ONLY Bacteria and Antibiotics, or does that include Virus/Hemeliths/Fungus and their drugs? I hate viruses, and the charts in FA are so daunting, I can't seem to memorize the structure of these damn things if my life depends on it...

Not sure, but I'd learn the structures. Its not as bad as it seems at first. Use micro made simple or first aid.

DNA viruses are HHAPPPY. Normal DNA is double stranded, so are these, except for parvo (think of the 5th hole in golf, it's a par one, so hit it straight.). Parvo is 5th disease, ssdna, and linear. PAP is naked, just like a pap smear. Pox is the P that you do NOT want to see naked, so it's the P that's enveloped.

RNA is a whole other ball of wax involving Flava Flav, a Toga party, Corona beer, Duran Duran flying naked from Colorado to Rio (they had a hit song called Rio back on the 80s...very Retro), Dr Cox (coauthor of the green OMM book) his Rhino he got to help him pick Corn, but it cant because it has Polio.

Make up your own mnemonics. It works wonders!

Awesome mneumonics! Thanks for sharing!

Not sure, but I'd learn the structures. Its not as bad as it seems at first. Use micro made simple or first aid.

DNA viruses are HHAPPPY. Normal DNA is double stranded, so are these, except for parvo (think of the 5th hole in golf, it's a par one, so hit it straight.). Parvo is 5th disease, ssdna, and linear. PAP is naked, just like a pap smear. Pox is the P that you do NOT want to see naked, so it's the P that's enveloped.

RNA is a whole other ball of wax involving Flava Flav, a Toga party, Corona beer, Duran Duran flying naked from Colorado to Rio (they had a hit song called Rio back on the 80s...very Retro), Dr Cox (coauthor of the green OMM book) his Rhino he got to help him pick Corn, but it cant because it has Polio.

Make up your own mnemonics. It works wonders!

Members don't see this ad :)
I took comlex today and dont even know what to say about it. It was probably one of the worst written exams I have ever taken. I was just guessing cuz I had no clue what the questions were even asking. I did not think it was a fair assesment of a 2nd year medical student at all.

Umm I will try to write more later after spacing out for a few hours........

I took comlex today and dont even know what to say about it. It was probably one of the worst written exams I have ever taken. I was just guessing cuz I had no clue what the questions were even asking. I did not think it was a fair assesment of a 2nd year medical student at all.

yikes... that's what I'm afraid of.

Looking forward to hearing more! Don't worry about posting today, get some well deserved rest, go outside for a while :cool:, and then come back to us :thumbup:

Just finished. I thought the questions were well written, they just tested really random material. Obscure micro. Things not asked in USMLE world or COMBANK. Good amount of OMM, but again, nothing you would expect. 2 sacrum, 1 cranial, 2 setup questions. A few weird MSK questions that would be better suited for an orthopedics residency exam. Pharm wasnt too bad, first aid is fine. Micro cards + FA + MMRS (a quick run through at least). Endocrine pathophys, especially gonadal/pregnancy stuff.

Lots of stuff I've never, ever seen before, certainly not in first aid...good luck.

Overall, I feel pretty good about my performance...we'll see how I feel when scores come back.

hey don't worry about the exam too much.. i've had numerous upperclassmen tell me they felt like crap after comlex but ended up doing pretty good. in fact, i just took a comase and felt like i failed but i did o.k. on it. i have a feeling that they have a pretty generous curve!

Just finished. I thought the questions were well written, they just tested really random material. Obscure micro. Things not asked in USMLE world or COMBANK. Good amount of OMM, but again, nothing you would expect. 2 sacrum, 1 cranial, 2 setup questions. A few weird MSK questions that would be better suited for an orthopedics residency exam. Pharm wasnt too bad, first aid is fine. Micro cards + FA + MMRS (a quick run through at least). Endocrine pathophys, especially gonadal/pregnancy stuff.

Lots of stuff I've never, ever seen before, certainly not in first aid...good luck.

Overall, I feel pretty good about my performance...we'll see how I feel when scores come back.

Congratulations on being done Dig. So how was the Neuro on the test?

I'm getting a little worried- have my comlex 3 days after my usmle and I haven't started studying for omm. I was planning on just using those 3 days to cram omm but I wonder if its enough. I hate to put all my eggs in one basket for the usmle but that's how its turning out. Anyone else in the same position?

Congratulations on being done Dig. So how was the Neuro on the test?

Oh, sorry. Forgot neuro. It sucked. I'm actually ok at neuro and they asked some off the wall stuff. Some bread and butter, but some weird lesions that are tough to sort out. The general rule, for the whole exam actually, is that they don't give you enough to go on. Like, "Pt has a UTI...what bug?". I'm like, how about a little info?

Anyways, neuro, I'd focus on lesions, tracts, etc. I did high yield neuro, but still got some surprises...so....luckily, there wasn't a ton of it...

So did neuro have anything else besides lesions/tracts? It's one of my weaker areas and I want to know what to focus on for that. Like do we need to know pathways eg. facial expression pathway: motor cortex-> corticobulbar tract-> posterior limb of internal capsule-> facial nucleus of medial midbrain/basal pons-> CNVII ?

Last edited:
Oh, sorry. Forgot neuro. It sucked. I'm actually ok at neuro and they asked some off the wall stuff. Some bread and butter, but some weird lesions that are tough to sort out. The general rule, for the whole exam actually, is that they don't give you enough to go on. Like, "Pt has a UTI...what bug?". I'm like, how about a little info?

Anyways, neuro, I'd focus on lesions, tracts, etc. I did high yield neuro, but still got some surprises...so....luckily, there wasn't a ton of it...

Congrats on being finished! That must feel AWESOME.

Members don't see this ad :)
Words can't describe.

I'm completely terrified. No, really. Completely. It's really annoying. I just did MMRS bacteriology (all 130 pages of it) again today and I feel like nothing sticks. My Qbank %ages continue to suck. Veery irksome. How did you feel going into it? Prepared?

I'm completely terrified. No, really. Completely. It's really annoying. I just did MMRS bacteriology (all 130 pages of it) again today and I feel like nothing sticks. My Qbank %ages continue to suck. Veery irksome. How did you feel going into it? Prepared?

Have you tried the Micro Flashcards? I mainly been using them, and done the Goljan Micro Tables. And I been able to get most of the questions on UW and combank. Still need to go through FA micro though :cool:

Have you tried the Micro Flashcards? I mainly been using them, and done the Goljan Micro Tables. And I been able to get most of the questions on UW and combank. Still need to go through FA micro though :cool:

I have not! I don't know what those are. Suggestions are very welcome. I just feel like I'm getting dumber...this is not a good testing mindframe to be in.

How much Biochem are you guys seeing on the exam? I am wondering if it is worth a good chuck of review. I have my test on Friday.

Thanks

How much Biochem are you guys seeing on the exam? I am wondering if it is worth a good chuck of review. I have my test on Friday.

Thanks

Negligible on mine. A glance at FA is more than enough. Know your genetic diseases (downs, Tay Sachs, etc) and some key pathways (PKU, etc) and you'll be fine.

i was wondering how the recent test takers found the heme/onc content to be? the onc is ok, they stay pretty straight forward but the heme scares the living daises out of me. any information would be super helpful!

Some of these COMBANK questions make me want to pull my hair out!!! :mad:

I always seem to miss 3 to 4 questions, that I would def know the ans but the question stem is so confusing I second guess myself and put the wrong ans down. Argh if the real COMLEX is like this then I am effed... (sad that my past weeks UW avgs have been higher than combanks)

Can any one explain what the GUI is like for the COMLEX? Is it like UWorld/Kaplan (FRED), is it more like COMBANK?

Mnemonics are proven to stay in memory for longer. The GUI for COMLEX is like COMSAE's GUI.

Well, I took it yesterday. Basically here's the breakdown :

Lots of Repro - STD heavy (micro, pharm, path), reproductive endo

OMM - Chapman points, tenderpoints, sacrum, innominate, 2 cranial, a few ME/HVLA, a couple scoliosis questions, some contraindication questions, and a few questions about is this a musculoskeletal complaint or a neuro/vascular/other problem

Cardio - a few rhythm strips, a few cases, lots of pharm with HTN drugs and integrated physio questions

Micro (in general) - most are straight forward, but a few that were WAY out of left field - most pics are really easy to identify

Neuro - a ton of lesions, like someone stated above, some were really complicated, a couple case based questions on diseases

Renal - lots of RAA questions and renal phys, a few scattered disease questions

Endo - a few, but mostly related to repro

Biochem (general) - like was stated above, very few - a few pedigrees and inheritance questions

All in all there were three types of questions :

1) Straightforward 1st or 2nd order - you know it or you don't.
2) Complicated 2nd or borderline 3rd order - took you a while and the use of both whiteboards to figure out what they were looking for (especially the "matching" sections)
3) Poorly written and you have no idea what the question is even about (I had two of these - I encourage everyone to use the comment feature so hopefully these will be eliminated from scoring).

It's over, moving on... :D

Has anyone taken the COMSAE exams? How were they and if I only have time for one should I choose A, B, or C? Thanks and best of luck to everyone!

Has anyone taken the COMSAE exams? How were they and if I only have time for one should I choose A, B, or C? Thanks and best of luck to everyone!
I've taken COMSAE 1a and 1b. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON 1a. 1b is better...however the comsae's are poor exams in general, however from what I have been reading the comlex is no different.

In the past years people say 1c is close, however I also spoke to people last year who said their scores were significantly higher on the COMLEX than on the COMSAE which they took a week prior to their boards.

what are your combank averages? i'm stuck at around 60% and am freaking out!
Have you been able to get out of the 60% mark?? I am exactly the same way at the moment. Been grinding it out for 2 weeks with no change in my Qbank scores. At the moment i feel like I could have done all these questions a month ago and get the same score.

Have you been able to get out of the 60% mark?? I am exactly the same way at the moment. Been grinding it out for 2 weeks with no change in my Qbank scores. At the moment i feel like I could have done all these questions a month ago and get the same score.

My overall average is around 63% also right now (done like 450 questions). My avgs are all over the place 56-85% though, I think it all depends on if the qbank questions you get are to your strengths or weakness. I really hate the sets of 3 or 4 questions, If I get the first question wrong then I get the whole set wrong.

Well, I took it yesterday. Basically here's the breakdown :

Lots of Repro - STD heavy (micro, pharm, path), reproductive endo

OMM - Chapman points, tenderpoints, sacrum, innominate, 2 cranial, a few ME/HVLA, a couple scoliosis questions, some contraindication questions, and a few questions about is this a musculoskeletal complaint or a neuro/vascular/other problem

Cardio - a few rhythm strips, a few cases, lots of pharm with HTN drugs and integrated physio questions

Micro (in general) - most are straight forward, but a few that were WAY out of left field - most pics are really easy to identify

Neuro - a ton of lesions, like someone stated above, some were really complicated, a couple case based questions on diseases

Renal - lots of RAA questions and renal phys, a few scattered disease questions

Endo - a few, but mostly related to repro

Biochem (general) - like was stated above, very few - a few pedigrees and inheritance questions

All in all there were three types of questions :

1) Straightforward 1st or 2nd order - you know it or you don't.
2) Complicated 2nd or borderline 3rd order - took you a while and the use of both whiteboards to figure out what they were looking for (especially the "matching" sections)
3) Poorly written and you have no idea what the question is even about (I had two of these - I encourage everyone to use the comment feature so hopefully these will be eliminated from scoring).

It's over, moving on... :D

Great breakdown pianoman! Hope you rocked it.

I've taken COMSAE 1a and 1b. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON 1a. 1b is better...however the comsae's are poor exams in general, however from what I have been reading the comlex is no different.

In the past years people say 1c is close, however I also spoke to people last year who said their scores were significantly higher on the COMLEX than on the COMSAE which they took a week prior to their boards.

Don't know what this guy is talking about. 1 C was JUST RELEASED about 2 weeks ago...

1A is anatomy heavy. 1b is repro/heme heavy.

Finished up COMLEX. My assessment is that it's pretty similar to what you'll read on here. I would definitely recommend doing the COMSAE's - the interface was identical (this is one place where the NBOME has bested the NBME). The questions seemed to be more clear and better written on the COMLEX than the COMSAE, but that could just be me taking this more seriously. (For comparison sake, I did COMSAE 1B and 1C).

The OMM: not as big a part of the test as I would have expected. The questions were pretty well spread out. If you're cramming OMM in, go through the gray "trigger" boxes in Savarese and you should be okay for most of these questions. You may miss a couple that relate to specific orthopaedic-tests, but maybe you'll remember it from class? It happened to me - I didn't study the ortho tests and there was only one question on it - (I happened to remember that Thomas test was for hip flexion and Thompson was for Achilles. ) There were a couple of other questions that had test names in it, but only to say that they were negative. Maybe that would help you come to the right dx, but it didn't hurt me not knowing it.

You gotta know the autonomics - if you've been resisting learning those two pages in Savarese... go learn it now. It won't take long and these are EASY questions that you can answer quickly and won't have to think about. They're pretty nice about it too - they know that different sources have some overlapping levels, so they generally don't put things close together in the answer choices, so if you have a general idea of what levels are supposed to be involved, you'll get it.

Tip: For me on the COMSAE's time was never an issue. I knew this going into to the COMLEX exam (I finished with 40 minutes to spare) , so when I sat down, during the "tutorial time", I used one side of the sheet I was given and just wrote all the autonomic stuff out - it helped later - I really didn't have to think about it. I Just referenced my page as if it was the page straight out of Savarese and clicked the corresponding answer.

As far as straight up anatomy - of course a few questions on brachial plexus. It described some symptoms and asked where the lesion might be (i.e. posterior cord). Rotator cuff stuff, also knowing dermatome man really helped do the "which level is the disc herniated at" questions. A few gimmes - just knowing that a somatic dysfunction dx is the ease and that motion would be restricted in the opposite planes got me a few questions. The basics are important here to get you those easy points you don't want to miss.

Behavioral: Some weird situations - no studying can really prepare you for. I didn't have any of the HMO/payment stuff that others had seen last week. Mine was more ethical behavioral science. I didn't have to do any math (one of friend of mine said she had to do an anion gap on hers), and there were no biostat questions either. Maybe three or four psych questions total, pretty easy stuff.

Biochem: i honestly don't remember seeing even one biochem question... or a question that was overtly biochem. Maybe they were testing this knowledge through some other wording or subliminally, but I certaintly didn't see any.

Micro: I agree with above, some was really obscure. Others gave bare-boned information. Just reading the last sentence about it's classification (if it was given) like gram pos/nev, lactose fermenter, bacillus/coccus, etc. def helped eliminate choices quickly. That was my strategy for micro - eliminating the ones I knew it couldn't be. The question would describe a "gram - rod" and two of the 5 choices were staph and strep : obviously wrong. For the harder ones, it was a one liner and you just had to know the most common/likely cause based on the age group.

Endo/Repro: The OB/GYN stuff is what really got me. Out of the 400 questions I took, I'd say 100-125 were probably ob/gyn, oral contraceptive, dysfunctional bleeding, menopause, endometrial ca, pregnancy, hormones, or some combination thereof. I really hate that stuff to be honest, and some of the stuff they were asking was way over my head and more clinical than I think even some 4th year students would know off the top of their heads. If you want to do well on this test you really have to know a LOT about this stuff - even beyond what you may have been taught in school.

Renal: little bit of everything from the drugs to the physio and some path. Had two slides, one for clear cell ca and another for transition cell ca.

Genetics: I had maybe a handful of these that asked straighforward inheritance patterns or chance that a child might get it. Of course, some were during the linked portion, so if I picked the wrong disease to begin with then I got these subsequent ones wrong too. Hopefully not though.

In general the linked questions were at max 3. I personally didn't see any that were 4 or 5 like the COMSAE's had, but maybe others can comment further. The majority of linked questions were in pairs, which I appreciated, because I don't like them (I think they should give you new information like USMLE does...)

Pharm: Not too bad for the most part. Big MOAs and ADRs. There were some though,that were one-liners where you had to figure out what the bug was and the drug of choice (linked questions). That wasn't fun because they of course put in the corresponding incorrect answers.

Each section followed pretty much the same format, 1-30/35 were the single questions. 35-45ish linked. The last few were matching.

Cardio: the standard stuff, know simple things like what each of those drugs are doing or when you would use them. I had no EKGs to read, but others have had them. A couple questions with long winded explanations of valve abnormalities or murmurs. These questions particularly gave more information than they needed to, but I won't complain!

Matching: Wasn't too bad. I had two where I reused the same answer - I was hesitant to do so, but did it anyway.

I would say that if you've been studying using USMLE World, you'll be okay. Don't think that those questions and explanations were a waste - because there were concepts from there that were surprinsgly tested on the COMLEX... not in the same way, but I wouldn't have known them without uWorld. I can't comment on COMBANK, I never did that. I'm a big fan of Savarese, First Aid, and uWorld for this exam. And maybe a Step 2 Ob/Gyn book? lol

It is true that you have to do 100 questions at a time. It's weird to me that the 10 minute breaks between blocks 2/3 and 6/7 take away from your time, yet lunch does not. The break time went away fast as you have to do the whole check in and check out procedure (turn your pockets inside out!).

I was allowed to take in my own foam earplugs - the woman at the center made me take them out of the plastic before I walked in. Of course, took my ID in with me (i.e. makeshift sacrum ;)). I was worried about what I would do if I needed tissues - the proctor woman gave me some before I walked in.

last but not least if you have time, use the comment button - mark the ones you want to comment on and come back if you think you have the time. I certaintly did it for many of the Ob/gyn & repro stuff that I thought was beyond our scope of knowledge and hopefully others did too.

So how much does this thing morph as the 'season' goes on? Are we to expect a fairly similar distribution or is someone taking it 2 weeks from now going to see zero repo and all respiratory?

As I'm writing this, I realized nobody probably knows the answer, but what the heck...figured I'd ask

so if you are only gonna take one comsae-a week away from the real thing, what would you guys recommend? COMSAE b or c?

so if you are only gonna take one comsae-a week away from the real thing, what would you guys recommend? COMSAE b or c?

IMO COMSAE c was quite a bit more challenging. If that makes a difference in your decision. Personally, I did great on b) with a 100 pt. difference in my performance on C.
:luck:

Thanks, I just did comsae c and I have to say a week away from the comlex it has totally killed my confidence. It was nothing like I expected it to be. I dont know what else I can do to prepare for this in a week and be where I want to be in the real thing

Thanks, I just did comsae c and I have to say a week away from the comlex it has totally killed my confidence. It was nothing like I expected it to be. I dont know what else I can do to prepare for this in a week and be where I want to be in the real thing

Have you done combank or kaplan comlex qbanks? I heard that the comsae's are very similar in style and difficulty of questions?

I'd wait a couple days, brush up on some notes, and take comsae b....according to what people have told me, it'll make you feel a lot better going into your exam :thumbup:

I'm taking my first (comsae a) tomorrow. :xf:

Hey, do we have to do appendix B from the green savarese book? like do we have to know all muscles and their innervation?? were there specific questions from there on the test?

You guys know if the comlex content changes throughout the summer? based on trends from previous years...